Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014, 09:24   #1

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"
FURUNO QUESTIONS!

Hello everyone, looking for some help with a couple radar issues.

The boat I bought last Sept.(Islander 32) came with a Furuno 1720. It turns on and the antenna spins but it doesn't pick anything up. I had the cover off last fall and when I put it back on I didn't know to line up the arrows(I'm a noob) so it could still work. I wont be down to the boat till the 20th so I'll find out if that is what it is(or isn't). I know it's old but if it works I won't complain.

IF it isn't, I have read it could be either the video cable or the magnatron.
1. How can I test the cable without removing it(the cable) from the mast?
2. If it is the magnatron, is it worth it or even possible to change it?
I have read about how to test it so I will post the results as soon as I
can.

My second dilemma is that I bought a used(barely) Furuno 1732c with a 24" radome and a new Garmin gp320b waas antenna. I think it's too big for my boat however it will fit on the old mast mount. Is it too big? I'm worried about the genoa catching on it and how the wind and weight will have an affect. The mount is about 17' off the deck. It(the 1732c) has only seen two seasons on a trawler and is in super duper good condition.

I won't be cruising where I need radar for another year but I want to have either system working so I can train myself how to use them.

If I can get the older model to work and if the newer one isn't overkill I'd like to sell it for a fair price or just sell the newer one for what I paid for it($1,600 with the Garmin). I have had the 1732c temporarily hooked up and it is awesome!

I will keep you all posted if I decide to sell stuff if anyone is interested.

On one hand I could really use the money after this horrid winter and on the other hand I don't think I could get a better deal on a nice system. I really want to get the old one working though.

So any help and ideas would greatly appreciated.

Markus
Brilliant Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:39   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: FURUNO QUESTIONS!

There's a Furuno forum here: Furuno USA Forum

-Chris
Old 12-02-2014, 20:41   #3

Thanks, I'll go bug them for awhile...
Old 13-02-2014, 04:59   #4

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Markus,

Before you spend any money on fixing or replacing your radar I would suggest that you find the wire junctions at the base of the mast and open, clean and reconnect each wire. There are about sixteen of them and a bit of corrosion at that junction will stop the whole works. I find that this is the usual problem with mast mounted radars.

Cheers
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 06:57   #5

Thank you AnsleyS, I will try that first when I get down there. However I do not think there is a junction at all, the cable comes out of the base and goes around directly to the head unit. I will get up there and clean the plug ins, the ground wire and make sure the cover is on correctly. Then I will clean the plug at the head unit and also the pins at the head unit and put di grease on. Like I said in my OP, the unit turns on and warms up but no echo. The screen is bright and clear and I can see that the antenna is spinning.

How can I test the video part of the cable for continuity when it's up the mast? I guess I could use a wire on the outside and connect to the other end so I can get a reading?

I think I will also take down the radome so I can clean the pins easier and more thoroughly. I can only test the magnatron while it's powered correct?

I wont be down there till next week so I am trying to have a good idea how to attack it so I don't waste time as I have a pretty long list to check off!!!
Old 13-02-2014, 09:30   #6

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Markus,

I would not encourage removal of the radome at this time. Clean all connections and plugs . The video signal is transmitted on a coaxial wire with a grounded cover. The Furuno 1721M2 interconnect diagram that I have says that that signal is on connector 3 on the scanner and 21 on the display unit. You may be able to test the conductivity and the signal with a good digital meter. That wire on my unit is solid core wire in a nylon sleeve. All the others are multi strand. Check the continuity on that wire and then the signal.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 10:27   #7

Thanks again for your advice!

Ok so IF it doesn't work after making all connections good should I test for continuity? I don't think I would buy a new cable unless I knew the antenna actually worked so I guess I could take the faulty cable out, the radome down and and jury rig good wire just to see if it works. Also I can inspect the cable for any breakage or possible chafe. Maybe if I'm lucky that's all it is. I can only hope. Then I can just repair the cable and see if it works. I would assume with coax that the outer wire sheath would be ok but the solid inner could be broke. Can I just crimp back together? I know I'm speculating but I need to be prepared for all possibilities.

If it is only the video cable and it's irreparable is it possible to replace only that?

I still have the other radome but I do think it's to big so I'll probably put it up for sale anyway. I'd like to keep the head unit and the gps waas antenna though and just get another 18" radome that is compatable with the 1732c. I'll do some research right now to see if that is even possible.

It would be nice if someone had a 1721 laying around that works so I could do some easier testing. I'll check into that as well i guess.

Thanks,
Markus

Tags
furuno