Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 14:55   #1
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Furuno Navnet 3D HUB alternative

Hey there,

I finally finished the network installation using this industrial switch instead of the Furuno hub. It's fully shielded and takes 7-24V DC power input. Works like a charm.

You see three connectors of which two are shielded. Those shielded ones are the DRD-4D radar dome and my Apple MacMini. The unshielded one is a short patch that takes out the two conductor pairs that Furuno uses for power switching remote devices and runs to the plotter display (MFD12). I must still make a version with shielded connectors.

However, all RFI problems that I had before have been solved already. The biggest problem was that I, accidentally, had pulled an unshielded cable for extending the radar cable. Also, the switch I used before was unshielded.

This works perfect; The MacMini has Ethernet to navnet and wifi to my regular network. It runs MaxSea TimeZero Explorer with the radar image and control etc.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 15:24   #2

Re: Furuno Navnet 3D HUB alternative

Nice, but I'm not quite following how you handled the remote on/off for the radar dome? Did you break out the wires from the MFD and connect them to the dome?
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 15:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Nice, but I'm not quite following how you handled the remote on/off for the radar dome? Did you break out the wires from the MFD and connect them to the dome?
No, the radar dome is switched on/off using the power feed to it, which is 48V coming from the display unit (the display unit does that switching automatically) The remote switching is for AIS, weatherfax, fishfinder etc. I don't have those but even then would just switch power manually.

cheers,
Nick.

Old 02-03-2013, 15:56   #4

Thanks!

Are you still happy with the setup? I've decided not to use Furuno on my new boat due to my experience with NN3D, but I know many people are perfectly happy.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 16:03   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Thanks!

Are you still happy with the setup? I've decided not to use Furuno on my new boat due to my experience with NN3D, but I know many people are perfectly happy.
Yes I'm happy. I've been playing with the radar a bit and it is very cool. The ARPA function works 100%; a dream after using Raytheon. The best part of it is MaxSea though.

Old 15-03-2013, 20:51   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Very timely Nick as I am replacing all my 2002 electronics and have always liked Furuno.

I purchased in 2011 these items below but did not install till I decided on Radar and Charting:

1 x Wind Indicator 1 x F1-501-30
1 x Wind Transducer FI-5001
1 x Cable Assy 30M
1 x Speed depth Temp DST-800
1 x Multi-XL F1-507
2 x Multi F1-504
1 x Junction Box FI-5002
1 x GPS GP-33 *(NMEA2000)

What radar System did you decide on?
Is there a waterproof charting system for the cockpit?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 06:02   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Very timely Nick as I am replacing all my 2002 electronics and have always liked Furuno.

I purchased in 2011 these items below but did not install till I decided on Radar and Charting:

1 x Wind Indicator 1 x F1-501-30
1 x Wind Transducer FI-5001
1 x Cable Assy 30M
1 x Speed depth Temp DST-800
1 x Multi-XL F1-507
2 x Multi F1-504
1 x Junction Box FI-5002
1 x GPS GP-33 *(NMEA2000)

What radar System did you decide on?
Is there a waterproof charting system for the cockpit?
I got the Furuno 3D with the 4kW dome. Very happy with it.

I don't have charting in the cockpit and see no reason for it. I do have steering displays incl. "highway" display to next waypoint, but the autopilot does all the steering really.
Old 16-03-2013, 07:35   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

For a boat your size Pelagic you might want to look at the Furuno MFDBB. It allows you to have multiple monitors that are not proprietary to Furuno. I have two displays at my steering console. One display always shows Furuno but the other I have on a KVM switch so I can switch between the second Furuno display and a PC with Nobeltec. It's a pretty slick setup allowing a lot of flexibility on what type of information you need displayed for the situation. Personally I like Nobeltec's chart software over Furuno's chart software which is a bit clunky to use, but really like Furuno's hardware. So I get the best of both world's this way. I have the Nobeltec PC integrated with the auto pilot so it can follow routes.

Doing it this way also gives me two isolated electronic chart systems so that if one goes down I have the other as a backup and on the same monitor. I use two different GPS antennas for each nav system.

The Furuno ARPA does work great as Jedi says, with the exception that if you are inland or coastal it has to be on manual acquire otherwise it starts targeting land masses on auto acquire. Furuno could have built in ARPA software that is intelligent enough not to acquire land masses or bridges or nav aids that cannot move like dolphins. I wish they had.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 21:26   #9
CF Adviser

Thanks Nick and David….
Have been away for a while but ready to finalize Monitor and Charting solution during our rainy season.

Just tried the Max-sea system for the first time on a Super-Y in Palau (black Box setup) and it is easy to use

Trying to get my head around whether my charting system should be integral using a MFD or on a separate computer and put things on a Monitor?

1…..Not exactly sure what you did Nick?
Did you use a MFD with back up computer?
Or is the 3D Hub used to support a monitor(s) via your MacMini?

My Pilothouse Stbd Side is the Nav Side and the only thing I would like to keep is my old SSB IC-M710
2…..Still useful in West Pacific, but not sure if interference problems will screw up the NavNet? (not a problem before with the old VDO)
I can relocate if advised, but don’t want to create unnecessary work as it performs well

Sketch shows SSB proximity and newest option of the Furuno 14” Touch Screen.
3…..Has smaller footprint than the 12” MFD, sounds more versatile but has anyone installed and used them? I can just imagine the price!!

In the cockpit, my instruments are under the glass lid. Engine gauges in center with old VDO either side. My option is to put the FI-501 with either the FI Multi or the RD-33. .
4…..The remote Display 33 seems more versatile with presentation… am I missing something?

Thanks for the help.. I am way behind the times with this stuff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 1 Pilothouse.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	64103   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Stbd Console 20130110_114057.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	64104  

Name:	1 1 SG Stbd Console Furuno 001.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	64105   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 1 cockpit console.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	64106  

Old 15-07-2013, 02:31   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Thanks Nick and David….
Have been away for a while but ready to finalize Monitor and Charting solution during our rainy season.

Just tried the Max-sea system for the first time on a Super-Y in Palau (black Box setup) and it is easy to use

Trying to get my head around whether my charting system should be integral using a MFD or on a separate computer and put things on a Monitor?

1…..Not exactly sure what you did Nick?
Did you use a MFD with back up computer?
Or is the 3D Hub used to support a monitor(s) via your MacMini?

My Pilothouse Stbd Side is the Nav Side and the only thing I would like to keep is my old SSB IC-M710
2…..Still useful in West Pacific, but not sure if interference problems will screw up the NavNet? (not a problem before with the old VDO)
I can relocate if advised, but don’t want to create unnecessary work as it performs well

Sketch shows SSB proximity and newest option of the Furuno 14” Touch Screen.
3…..Has smaller footprint than the 12” MFD, sounds more versatile but has anyone installed and used them? I can just imagine the price!!

In the cockpit, my instruments are under the glass lid. Engine gauges in center with old VDO either side. My option is to put the FI-501 with either the FI Multi or the RD-33. .
4…..The remote Display 33 seems more versatile with presentation… am I missing something?

Thanks for the help.. I am way behind the times with this stuff
1 The only reason I have an MFD is to get the radar. I think the touch version is much better when you can live with the price. I use the Ethernet network (NavNet 3D) with my MacMini to integrate the computer into the system. This means for example that I use MaxSea Explorer software and only pay once for charts and that the computer and mfd are linked for waypoints, routes and other data like AIS and radar. I can view and operate the radar from within MaxSea.

2 My SSB does not interfere with anything so don't worry.

3 go for the Touch if you can accept it's price tag! It is the next generation of features that my mfd does not get.

4 I changed my mind for the cockpit and I will install new B&G triton displays there. They are awesome. I use two RD33's inside: one at the navstation and one at the bed I sleep while at anchor or off watch when underway.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 20-08-2013, 04:06   #11
CF Adviser

Those Triton look really nice.

Have always like B&G but do you have any problems with them integrating with NavNet and Furuno Sensors… or
1…Do you need to put in both sets of sensors?

Will do the same and run separate computer driven Charting (MaxSea) to interface with Furuno

No technical support or Furuno showrooms in Manila for pleasure boat electronics.
So still trying to understand if:

2… I should consider Black Box configuration as David suggested with custom monitors?
Or
3… is it better to stay with MFD for easier interface?

The Touch screen’s price tag is just too high with everything else I am doing!

Photo shows the space I have in Cockpit Console (45” x 24”).
Like you, a MFD is mostly to get the Radar Display to replace my bulky Ratheon Radar Display .

I do travel at night in Asia as distances between anchorages dictate, so an option to bring that radar to my cockpit is attractive for parallel indexing away from the many unmarked reefs.

Thinking a small MFD (8”)

FYI I also hang a 14”Monitor on the inside of a back Pilot House Window for extra charting monitor
4...Does anyone have ideas on how that can be utilized in my electronics redesign?.

I miss the Ft Lauderdale Boat Shows to look at all this stuff…. Thanks for any help in deciding…
cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 1 cockpit console.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	65760   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 cockpit DSC_0951 measure.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	65761  

Name:	1 Chart Monitor DSC_0045.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	65762  
Old 20-08-2013, 07:01   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The B&G Tritons are pure N2K communication, so will work with N2K sensors. If you have 0183, you will need a converter like Actisense. If you have pulsed or proprietary senders, I don't know how you would go about interfacing it, but there are probably converters. If your Navnet plotter or any other gear that reads your sensors outputs N2K, you could use that to send the data to the Tritons.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:02   #13
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Hey there,

I finally finished the network installation using this industrial switch instead of the Furuno hub. It's fully shielded and takes 7-24V DC power input. Works like a charm.

You see three connectors of which two are shielded. Those shielded ones are the DRD-4D radar dome and my Apple MacMini. The unshielded one is a short patch that takes out the two conductor pairs that Furuno uses for power switching remote devices and runs to the plotter display (MFD12). I must still make a version with shielded connectors.

However, all RFI problems that I had before have been solved already. The biggest problem was that I, accidentally, had pulled an unshielded cable for extending the radar cable. Also, the switch I used before was unshielded.

This works perfect; The MacMini has Ethernet to navnet and wifi to my regular network. It runs MaxSea TimeZero Explorer with the radar image and control etc.
Hi Nick, are there any advantages to using your hub over the Furuno one?
Other than cost??

I am basically setting up the way you are, but not being an electronics guy or having access to any dependable sales knowledge/support here in the Phils… I am hoping for plug and play if the Furuno Hub will allow me to drive the charting via a PC onto the MFD’s.

Below are sketches of my shortlisted setup.
Still open to other ideas and alternative as I have no hands on experience with these smaller yacht size electronics.

Wish List:
Like Nick I will buy the DRD-4D and run it off a MFD 12 in Bridge amd MFD 8 in cockpit.
I could not live with the price of the touch screen or the accumulated cost of a black box set-up.
I am still looking for a monitor for the Stbd Consol that will fit my 33cm x 31cm footprint.
This Monitor 12-14” should be able to connect to the MFD 12, as well as be used for PC/internet purposes and entertainment

I opted for a small MFD 8 because it fits inside the cockpit console.
I prefer to travel at night and I would like the Radar on deck if we get into fog.

A question is whether this MFD 8” is just too small to be of use in discriminating between targets?
Thanks for any and all advice
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SG CONSOLES 001.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	68128   Click image for larger version

Name:	SG CONSOLES 002.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	68129  

Old 03-10-2013, 06:03   #14

Boat: Outbound 44

[QUOTE=Pelagic;1355281...
A question is whether this MFD 8” is just too small to be of use in discriminating between targets?
Thanks for any and all advice[/QUOTE]
We use the MFD8 in the cockpit mounted next to the companionway. It is plenty large for Radar and pretty decent for charting. At times, we split the screen and have Radar next to charts. In the split case it is OK, but a little small. Alternately we put the Radar overlay on top of the charts. Lots of options to get it looking like you ant.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:09   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Nick are you using VMware to run the Maxsea Explorer ?

dave

Tags
furuno, navnet