Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 13:41   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Furuno LCD replacement

Hi All my lcd display has died on my Furuno RDP130 has anyone got any idea where I may find a replacement as I don't want to change the whole system just because the lcd has gone. The outside edges are ok but its delaminated over 80% Help would be greatfully appreciated Thanks.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:27   #2

Re: Furuno LCD replacement

LCD displays generally don't 'die', you will get something simple like the backlight fails, or there's something more serious upstream.

Best bet is to find a busy shop that's authorized to fix Furuno; they may be able to fix a simple fault in the unit, or purloin a used screen from a dead unit, or order a new screen.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 15:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
LCD displays generally don't 'die', you will get something simple like the backlight fails, or there's something more serious upstream.

Best bet is to find a busy shop that's authorized to fix Furuno; they may be able to fix a simple fault in the unit, or purloin a used screen from a dead unit, or order a new screen.
Hi
I don't know how long you have been in the electronics industry but LCD displays do "die" in many ways by delamination loss of polorization loss of liquid e.t.c. the technology has got a lot better but its always a liquid so inherent problems are ripe. But thanks for the suggestions. The nearest furuno repair centre is 950km away but i will find something eventually.
Safe cruising
Steve
Old 11-11-2013, 17:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Hi
I don't know how long you have been in the electronics industry but LCD displays do "die" in many ways by delamination loss of polorization loss of liquid e.t.c. the technology has got a lot better but its always a liquid so inherent problems are ripe. But thanks for the suggestions. The nearest furuno repair centre is 950km away but i will find something eventually.
Safe cruising
Steve
Well, you weren't specific as to how the LCD 'died', (besides the delamination). I've never seen a LCD display just 'die' completely, in the sense of Tuesday it works and Wednesday it doesn't.

From doing some occasional work with marine electronics dealers, I know that most of them have a junk-pile of dead units (eg lightning strikes) or trade-ins from which parts can be salvaged. If you can find such a dealer with your model in his pile, that could be a solution.

Otherwise, order a new display from Furuno. Want the address?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furuno, men