Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 16:50   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Furuno: Good Service

I would like to share this story:
I have on my sailboat a Furuno radar 1712. It's not new, neither is the boat or myself....
I lost the cover.
I tried to buy a new one from dealers and didn't even get answers (20$ value, they are not interested) Didn't see any on ebay for a while.
During the boat show">Miami Boat Show a couple of weeks ago, I stopped at the Furuno booth and talked to a guy named Matt and asked him how I can get a replacement cover. The guy took my name, address and tell me he will sent one to me. I asked if i had to pay right at the booth. he said : "No, you don't have to pay, we'll send it for free."
And THEY DID!!
I received today a brand new cover and a note signed by Matt telling he was sorry for the delay ... :-)
THIS IS WHAT I CALL SERVICE and they can be sure that next time I will still buy Furuno when needed.
Old 08-03-2011, 17:00   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: FURUNO: Good service

That's a good story. I lost my cover also but was able to find it on Amazon. But, in order to get the right one I used Furuno's knowledge base and they where very quick to confirm the part number. So while I had to pay, I have to agree, their service is great.
Old 08-03-2011, 17:00   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Hear hear! Out of all the marine electronics manufacturers, I have found Furuno to have absolutely the best customer service and tech support. You can even request to speak to a specific technician by name. I usually ask for Larry, we just seem to communicate the best.

When buying marine electronics I think customer support is a pretty big consideration.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 17:09   #4

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Great to hear stuff like that.
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 17:39   #5
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom

Furuno are really fantastic on their service, our radar scanner bit the dust when it was still in warranty, we had called them from out sat phone, I was seething at the fact it died at sea and had vowed never to buy Furuno anything ever again, shortly after we past customs in Noumea, at Port Moselle Marina three guys in Furuno shirts were standing there with a new scanner in hand wanting to monkey up our mast to replace it.
And so they did, we got a call a week later on the sat phone again while at sea to check it was all still working fine for us.

We had spoken to a Furuno rep in Australia not New Caledonia, but shortly after we were in port there they were. It was 48 hours from the time we spoke to the rep in Australia till we arrived in Noumea.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 17:54   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41

I have a 1996 Furuno MkII it stopped working two weeks before I was going to do the Baja Ha Ha. I took in to a company in San Diego they said they could fix it. They took a week and still not fixed. I yanked it from them and took it to another electronics firm. They tested it and then said they had to get it to Furuno. Furuno turned it around in two days and got it back to me with ofur days to go. The electronics company said they would order an extra cale just in case and Furuno said they would take it back if my cable was good. Well my cable was bad and I got it working with one day to spare. If I bought another radar I would pick Furuno

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 18:24   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Stories like this make quibbles over price seem just that...quibbles. When you are voyaging, you want solutions, not an extra hundred bucks in your pocket.

Both are nice, mind...
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 19:31   #8

Boat: deboated

Not surprised by the previous comments when ever Furuno name comes up it usually ends up product good but more expensive. As I have said many times I would rather pay the extra to get the reliability and long service life.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furuno