Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2019, 10:22   #1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
FloatHub users?

I'm looking for other FloatHub users to share ideas and uses. Originally I bought my Floathub when they had a Kickstarter program. I received and used that wifi version, then upgraded to the 3g cellular version a month or so ago.
The device was mentioned in Panbo in 2017 -
https://www.panbo.com/beta-testing-f...f-marine-wifi/
The wifi version worked great but getting a signal hasn't gotten any easier since I bought it. Last summer I used a verizon hotspot but I didn't leave it on when away from the boat for fear of verizon charges. I was using the free basic version of their website service then.
Once I realized the cost of the cellular service was covered by the enhanced monitoring subscription upgrading seemed a no brainer.
So far I'm monitoring batteries and solar charging, bilge pump activations and the temperature/barometric pressure built in to the device. When onboard I have the floathub wifi outputting data to opencpn displayed on a monitor in the cabin.
In the cockpit I'm using a Garmin 64cv plus at the helm, that displays AIS from a Standard Horizon 2150. My plan is to get the AIS, depth and other Garmin output over to the Floathub. That will then show up on the opencpn and anything else I connect to the wifi.
My head is spinning with possibilities (most unfortunately just a shade beyond my raspberry pi abilities). I'd like a better air temperature solution - the built in sensor is reading the heat of running the floathub and other things in the cabin. Water temperature, depth - engine temperature - oil pressure - fridge temp - hours meter...the list goes on. All seem possible, I'm guessing some others out there are pondering the same.
Anyone else here using this device? It sure would be nice to have a users group to share ideas.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:35   #2

Re: FloatHub users?

There might be a way to improve the environmental readings (temp, pressure, humidity) by drilling or opening up the case above/around the onboard sensor. You should discuss this with the FloatHub folks, if you're uncertain or want to preserve your warranties.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:02   #3

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: FloatHub users?

An offset can be added to the floathub temperature reading to more accurately reflect ambient temperature and for the time being that is my solution. At some point I'd like to add remote temp sensors so I'm reading about making a raspberry pi nmea multiplexer
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa