Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2014, 12:02   #1

Boat: Hardin Sea Wolf 41ft
Flashing ST 6000 unit won't go into standby

I've got an "old" auto pilot on my Hardin sea wolf, its a Raymarine ST 6000+ with a type 300 brain. I recently bought a second hand but working control head as the old one looked suspect, the screen was burned out and it had a message ST Fail. When I installed the "new" unit it displayed a picture of the rudder indicator which the old one never did, but still said Sea Talk Fail.

So I found a re-furbished computer on ebay and installed that thinking I would finally get the AP working.

When I connected it all back up, which is not too difficult as all the wires are marked and coloured, I switched it on

The manual says I should hear a beep from the control head but mine was silent and instead of a two second display saying it's an ST 6000 and going to standby it just kept flashing st 6000 in rapid succession. Thats all it will do.

I've checked all the voltages on the Type 300 computer terminals and they are exactly what the service manual say they should be 12v on the seatalk to the control unit, 5v on the rudder, 2.5 to the fluxgate comp.

I've checked the resistances on the fluxgate compass and the rudder control unit and they all comply with the service schedule figures.

I dug out the old ST6000 head, as an experiment and plugged that up to the seatalk line and hey presto IT BEEPS but then after a brief stop on standby it displays saetalk fail, but it did beep. The "new" one does not beep and as I said just flashes ST6000. I'm puzzled, well darn right frustrated, not only cause I paid $500 for the "new" unit but when I first replaced it it looked like the picture in the book, except for the sea talk fail message that was on the old unit

Has anybody seen this flashing message, is there some magic combination of reset buttons, that will put it into standby.

Could it be too low voltage, as I did have a low battery situation when I fitted the new brain,but I've since got the batteries up to speed. I am an electrician, retired, and should be able to solve this but it's got me well and truly foxed.

I've doused the control unit with switch cleaner, and checked to voltage at the control head 12.39

Any suggestions anybody!!!
Old 16-10-2014, 12:58   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Flashing ST 6000 unit won't go into standby

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantycrew View Post
Any suggestions anybody!!!
send the same message you posted here to Raymarine and hope they are in a good mood
Old 19-10-2014, 16:57   #3

try running a new cable from ecu to control head. it has power since the head turns on, but maybe issue with yellow data line.

or just move control head next to ecu with short piece to test.

is there anything else on the seatalk line? or just a single wire from ecu to control head? does the seatalk get power from ecu? or external? normally there is a switch on the pilots to power or not.

if you have a ray chart plotter on board, running seatalk from pilot box to plotter with control disconnected and see if plotter gets heading. to test seatalk bus and ecu box.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 17:53   #4

Boat: EndeavourCat 36
Flashing ST 6000 unit won't go into standby

I get the "ST Fail" message from time to time. Finally figured out the AP gets annoyed if I turn it on before the other ST instruments. As long as the depth and speedo get power first, I am good to go. Since the AP serves as my rudder location indicator (hydraulic steering), it's dicey if it doesn't come on.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 07:34   #5

Boat: Hardin Sea Wolf 41ft

The ST 6000 gets its power directly from the course computer or ecu as you put it. I've done a simple line check on this wire which is a 3 core going to a sealed plug that goes into the rear of the ST6000 and it checks out as good so and anyway I don't have a spare with the bespoke plug on it to try a test closer to the computer.
the wire runs inside the nav station stainless tubing and would be awkward to remove.

Does anybody know if the unit should power up without the sea talk wire, you know just feed it with a pos and neg wire and leave out the seatalk. I could maybe lash something together and try that.
Old 20-10-2014, 09:20   #6

Yes it should power up with 12v to red and shield.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote