Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 13:54   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
FFM100 fuel flow monitor

Anyone using the Maretron fuel flow meter? Accurate? displays on NMEA200 network?

Is there something better out there?
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:34   #2

Re: FFM100 fuel flow monitor

I have them on my twin CAT 3208's. Have found them very accurate, +/- a couple of %. They are set up on their own N2K network and connected to a DSM150. They are the only N2k devices on the boat.
The bit I like best is fuel burn in real time. This allows me to plan my trip based on fuel that i want to burn, rather than time to get there. I can adjust in real time due to wind and currents etc. It also allows me to show fuel used for each trip, which helps with getting my mates to chip in for their share!
I have just purchased a new (2 me) vessel that has Floscans. From my research these are meant to be more accurate, but I will not be able to comment on that for about another month or so, when I pick it up and do some cruising.
BeagleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:51   #3

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
Anyone using the Maretron fuel flow meter? Accurate? displays on NMEA200 network?

Is there something better out there?
Hi Caelestis,

I have been exploring fuel consumption metering methods as well.

The Maretron offerings are interesting, but since our consumption [and budget] is so small [1-2 gph] and since I will also need to replace the original 1984 fuel level gauges one of these days, I will likely go with CruzPro fuel gauge with [a very accurate] consumption monitoring feature.

See: CruzPro FU60 Digital Fuel Gauge/Consumption Calculator and Alarm

Just another option, but I have no experience with either [yet...]

FWIW

Cheers!

Bill
Old 02-08-2016, 08:23   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Probably obvious, but on Diesels, you have to have two fuel flow transducers, one to subtract the return fuel, gas engines of course only need one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:58   #5
Marine Service Provider

Let me tell some information about diesel fuel consumption measurement.
(we are manufacturer of diesel flow meters and use them in remote fuel monitoring projects).

Yes, in most cases we need to measure both supply and return flow. And fuel curculation in supply/return lines usually much bigger than fuel consumption.

Expecially during idling. typical values during idling:
supply flow rate : 140 liters/hour
return flow rate : 138 liters/hour
engine fuel consumption : 2 liters/hour

Just imagine, how precise we have to measure 140 and 138 to receive value "2".
For example, meter error is 1%. It is not enough if you will install 2 fuel meters, each with 1% error. During idling you can have 200% error : 0 or 6 liters per hour instead of 2.

Same with temperature compensation. During idling you can't have good data when sensor does not use temperature compensation (return fuel is hotter, difference can be 20 degrees and more, 1.4 % of return volume).

Thats why we make Eurosens Delta flow meter, each chamber has 0.3% precision and they are precalibrated. Also temperature compensation is built-in.

I think Maretron can do the same, but you need 2 Maretron for differential measurement. While Delta flow meter already have 2 channels. IN fact, resulted price is twice cheaper.

Version with NMEA2000 interface

mechatronic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, monitor