Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2013, 06:07   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Feedback on Simrad NSS, NSE, NSO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
The last time I looked into this (about a year ago) the software existed but was something like $1200.
GoFree is just a couple hundred bucks, and for that you get the hardware.

Apparently you can use a regular WiFi router, too, as comms between radar and MFD are regular Ethernet. I believe the software is free.

Simrad rules! I was inclined to go with Simrad at first because I wanted the broadband radar not offered by anyone else so far. Then the more I studied it the better I liked the entire system!

Note that you need to have at least one NSS (or B&G Zeus Touch) MFD in your system to use GoFree. It doesn't work with NSE or NSO.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 12:48   #17

I just wanted to circle back on this topic. After a bunch of research and some extensive bench testing, I've decided to go with Simrad electronics on my new boat. This includes black box chart plotters (NSO), radar (both pulse and broadband), and of course autopilot. It will all be interconnected via NMEA 2000. I think I might have the only Nordhavn with zero Furuno gear on board. If you want to read more about the decision, venture over here Adventures of Tanglewood: Chart Plotter - Decision Made
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:16   #18

Boat: vessel deliveries, west coast, N.A.

Delivery captain/marine electronics. I've done a refit of a luxury yacht from Raymarine to SIMRAD. Used/have Furuno, Raymarine, SIMRAD, OpenCPN, Coastal Explorer, Garmin and a few others. My main problem with SIMRAD is their archaic architecture, even Furuno has a Linux based PC inside there somewhere. PC arch allows some really flexible display formats these days. SIMRAD's arch seems quite limited for display flexibility. FLIR really needs to step their game when it come to turning Raymarine into to a real company. Their documentation among other things is pathetic. I will be on an 2009 Azimut 85 today. 5yrs old and the labels on the two radar pedestals are completely unreadable, no model numbers, no serial numbers, nada.
captainjim47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 13:06   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjim47 View Post
Delivery captain/marine electronics. I've done a refit of a luxury yacht from Raymarine to SIMRAD. Used/have Furuno, Raymarine, SIMRAD, OpenCPN, Coastal Explorer, Garmin and a few others. My main problem with SIMRAD is their archaic architecture, even Furuno has a Linux based PC inside there somewhere. PC arch allows some really flexible display formats these days. SIMRAD's arch seems quite limited for display flexibility. FLIR really needs to step their game when it come to turning Raymarine into to a real company. Their documentation among other things is pathetic. I will be on an 2009 Azimut 85 today. 5yrs old and the labels on the two radar pedestals are completely unreadable, no model numbers, no serial numbers, nada.
Simrads range is Linux based. You can even download the operating system !

dave

Tags
simrad