Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2017, 15:00   #1

FCC Licenses to Swedish Licenses

I have looked and nothing really turns up, except one answer to one question

My Radio Amateur Extra Class will be accepted for a Swedish licenses and call sign.

But what about my FCC GROL w/radar?
Can't find anything on it.

Yes, i will need to transfer them.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 07:20   #2

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat
Re: FCC Licenses to Swedish Licenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
...My Radio Amateur Extra Class will be accepted for a Swedish licenses and call sign.

But what about my FCC GROL w/radar...
Reciprocal operator licensing for the Amateur Radio service is common among many countries and the USA.

For operating a VHF Marine Band radio on a voluntarily-equipped vessel, I would think that a GROL would satisfy the requirements for any foreign country with whom the USA has reciprocal marine operator licensing.

I have a GROL myself, and I consider it sufficient for operating my VHF Marine Band radio in Canada. As for Sweden--best to ask the Swedish authorities for their opinion.

I doubt that in either the Amateur Radio Service or the Maritime Radio Service you could "transfer" a license, that is, you probably won't get another nation to issue a new license. At best, you'll get permission to operate under your original FCC license for a temporary period.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 08:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
Reciprocal operator licensing for the Amateur Radio service is common among many countries and the USA.

For operating a VHF Marine Band radio on a voluntarily-equipped vessel, I would think that a GROL would satisfy the requirements for any foreign country with whom the USA has reciprocal marine operator licensing.

I have a GROL myself, and I consider it sufficient for operating my VHF Marine Band radio in Canada. As for Sweden--best to ask the Swedish authorities for their opinion.

I doubt that in either the Amateur Radio Service or the Maritime Radio Service you could "transfer" a license, that is, you probably won't get another nation to issue a new license. At best, you'll get permission to operate under your original FCC license for a temporary period.
For Amateur Extra class it will transfer to the Swedish.
Cant find it now when i want to back that up.
Two places i found it. Must be an Extra class to the regular license, anything less is some sort of entry level lic.

I remember part of it.
Stated that if you were there for more than 60 days you had apply for a Swedish call sign, without retaking any tests. That is where the Extra Class comes in at.

I'll wait, no hurry in doing that.

Thanks,
Nicor
Old 26-09-2017, 09:29   #4

For transmissions on the Marine Mobile service bands (VHF or M/HF) you need at least a Restricted Radio Operator Permit issued by the FCC. Your GROL meets that requirement. Note you will also need a ship's station license for your vessel, also issued by the FCC.

Since Sweden participates in the CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01, for transmissions on the Amateur service bands (VHF or M/HF) you will need an Advanced or Amateur Extra license issued by the FCC. Note that Technician or General license holders have no privileges in countries participating in this CEPT recommendation, although there are a few countries that participate in the less restrictive ECC Recommendation (05)06 that allows General and Technician licensees to transmit on the Amateur VHF bands (above 30mhz).

This means for General license holders, WinLink communications via MF/HF while in the territorial waters of the CEPT countries is forbidden - you will need to use an email service on the Maritime Mobile bands such as SailMail (assuming you have the requisite operator and ship station licenses).

More info here: FCC Updates Notice on Amateur Radio Operation in CEPT Countries.

Cheers,

TL
tlavino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 16:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavino View Post
For transmissions on the Marine Mobile service bands (VHF or M/HF) you need at least a Restricted Radio Operator Permit issued by the FCC. Your GROL meets that requirement. Note you will also need a ship's station license for your vessel, also issued by the FCC.

Since Sweden participates in the CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01, for transmissions on the Amateur service bands (VHF or M/HF) you will need an Advanced or Amateur Extra license issued by the FCC. Note that Technician or General license holders have no privileges in countries participating in this CEPT recommendation, although there are a few countries that participate in the less restrictive ECC Recommendation (05)06 that allows General and Technician licensees to transmit on the Amateur VHF bands (above 30mhz).

This means for General license holders, WinLink communications via MF/HF while in the territorial waters of the CEPT countries is forbidden - you will need to use an email service on the Maritime Mobile bands such as SailMail (assuming you have the requisite operator and ship station licenses).

More info here: FCC Updates Notice on Amateur Radio Operation in CEPT Countries.

Cheers,

TL
Yes, i am well aware of all of that.

So the question still stands, will my GROL transfer to the Swedish equivalent? That should on the Swedish telcom site, but can not find an English translation of it.

I can wait till i get over there to find out.
Not a big deal. Just was looking to know what to expect.

Tags
license