Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 10:45   #16

Boat: Bénéteau Oceanis 393 Clipper, 12 m / 39'
Re: Favorite nav app

sailormed is right. Even so I haven't used it yet I will switch to iNavx, because it also shows AIS if you got a Wifi on your AIS transponder. I did not recommend it, because I haven't used it yet, but I read a lot about it. Having AIS on the iPad togehter with your route is what I always wanted to have. And I can still use my Navionics charts.
Liebe Grüsse
Ingo
Skipper-Ingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:32   #17

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

We have several programs running at once, and so far my favorite is SEAiq.
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:34   #18

Boat: Bavaria 44
Send a message via Skype™ to sailing mike

There's an app that no one's yet mentioned.... SEAiq open. Take a look people. It's the business!

Mike
sailing mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:36   #19

Boat: Bavaria 44
Send a message via Skype™ to sailing mike

...sorry Donna, I didn't see you'd just posted
sailing mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:38   #20

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

no worries sailing mike....brilliant minds think alike!
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:45   #21

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper-Ingo View Post
sailormed is right. Even so I haven't used it yet I will switch to iNavx, because it also shows AIS if you got a Wifi on your AIS transponder. I did not recommend it, because I haven't used it yet, but I read a lot about it. Having AIS on the iPad togehter with your route is what I always wanted to have. And I can still use my Navionics charts.
Liebe Grüsse
Ingo
Sorry to disppoint you, the Navionics maps need to be downloaded and installed from the X-Traverse Fugawi site. This means you have to buy the SAME area maps AGAIN!!!!!
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:05   #22

Boat: Bénéteau Oceanis 393 Clipper, 12 m / 39'

Thanks, sailormed, you are right again. I have to buy the maps again. With "I can still use my Navionics charts" I meant, that I don't have to get used to some other maps. I didn' make that clear enough. But since I buy a new chart anyway (I mainly need the Med) every year, I will buy it from X-Traverse Fugawi next time.

Liebe Grüße
Ingo
Skipper-Ingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:59   #23

I like SEAiq too.

Every time I've had a question or suggestion, the author has responded very quickly. You need to decide whether you'll upgrade (buy) SEAiq USA or SEAiq Open. For the most part, I'm OK with SEAiq USA; however, the key difference is SEAiq Open allows you to install other chart formats while SEA USA supports only the NOAA US charts. My wish is for SEAiq USA and SEAiq Open to merge -or- share the license between the two apps. Also, SEAiq Open no longer supports CM93 charts.

Other apps to consider:

iNavX - solid, bullet-proof, supports the most chart formats available. I don't like their chart-table analogy and often have to reload my current chart. When experimenting with wireless NMEA data, I use iNavX - it provides the easiest way to setup and view NMEA data steams, AIS targets on the chart.

Transas iSailor - stunningly beautiful app with Transas charts. Without having other nav apps installed, I would seriously consider iSailor. Their charts are reasonably priced; however, they have in-app purchase for all the add-ons (e.g., NMEA data, AIS,....). Cost per value seems (to me) to be excessive.

Navionics - yes. Their upgrades and product redefinition (and pricing) gets tiring. I think I've seen 3 or 4 name and price changes since I first installed Navionics.

Garmin Blue Chart Mobile - yes; however, their wifi integration ONLY supports Garmin chartplotters. I was hoping to connect BCM to NMEA wifi stream. They've taken a proprietary approach to integration. I usually use this for their ActiveCaptain support and high-level / general route planning.

I've looked at others, but these are the ones still loaded on my iPad. SEAiq is the one I keep going back to....

Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 13:23   #24

Boat: Shannon 38

I bought both Navionics and Garmin BlueCharts to back up my paper charts and E80 chart plotter (the charts I had for the plotter got us to within 300 mies of Bermuda and no further)on a sail from Newport to St Croix thru Bermuda and found them both difficult to get useful information from. In terms of helping fix your position under sail, both seemed hopeless
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 14:26   #25

Boat: Cloud Catamaran, Cloud 9, 10.6M, Rainbow Dreaming

I have had great success with quich charts on the iPad. Memory maps is the same product for android and others
mjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 14:34   #26

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

I have used several PC based navigation apps over the years starting with Maptech Offshore Navigator, Sea Clear 2, Polar Navy, and now OpenCPN. As my main source of navigational data comes from a Garmin GPS chartplotter I now especially like the fact that bith the Garmin and the Opencpn Pc share Waypoint and Route data easily.
I like using Garmin's Homeport APP to do my planning and can then transfer the info to both the chartplotter and the PC. I have other backup GPS units installed as well. Either the Garmin or the PC can speak to the autopilot when I want it to follow a route.
Recently I added an Apple iPad Air2 to the mix with the Navionics APP just for fun as we take it along anyway when in a marina and want to use WIFI. It doesn't import the same data and can't interact with the other instruments but I don't want it to at this point. It's ability to use Raster and Vector charts where I boat mostly in FL and Bahamas is worth the download. I added a Sonar Server to allow Bluetooth sharing of the GPS data while offshore to the iPad. Mostly will be used in the enclosed areas of the boat to allow others to watch our progress as we move along and as a possible backup.

When I used the Maptech, Sea Clear2, Polar Navy etc I was always faced with maintaining two sets of data for each instrument - now is easy.

I have radar, Sirius Weather on Garmin, VHF, GPS, additional dedicated depthfinder, autopilot, EPIRB, 9 ft inflatable when Bahamas traveling. All I am missing is AIS but seldom travel at night in the Bahamas. Very occasionally when coming or going.

Been doing this since the 60's when it was all done dead reckoning in 23 footers, over the years got bigger and added stuff as I found the need or just wanted them for convenience. As I get older the added toys seem to make the trips better and I am not one of those who would like to go back to the "good old days" - but I could. It's really nice to look at your electronic chart and see that the channel is right where it is supposed to be when you look out around your boat.

One thing that many of us that have been in boating for a while appreciate is the independence to do it our own way. Unless your on the water making a living this is supposed to be enjoyable. Just stay safe.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 16:45   #27

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Lots of good info . I have made the mistake of getting too enthusiastic, and leaping before I look. Hopefully this time I will not have to redo what I have already done.
Old 11-01-2016, 17:02   #28

Boat: a sailing boat

We used NV Charts last time in the West Indies and I did like it even though it was a bit slowish to redraw (very likely due to our minimalistic tablet hardware).

I also like Sailtracker heaps for its ability to pull Google maps (also sat and topo tiles) and later reuse them offline. Simple and works well in coral anchorages an in the bush.

I have not used OpenCPN on the water but I played with it a lot in our boat and I love how it displays and interprets AIS mobiles. It also displays BSB charts pretty well and we can make our own BSB charts out of anything. +

So to say none does it all but some do it well.

Have fun,
Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 12:42   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

I will throw one into the mix that I don't think has been mentioned yet. That is iSailor from Transas. They are a Russian company which has provided professional nav applications and is now in the recreational arena. Just to compare, I also have iNavX and prefer the iSailor interface so much more that I have deleted iNavX all together.

I found iNavX expensive and for any vector charts, ( unless you use NOAA Raster for the US ) you need to spend big money.Then continue spending for updates.

The iSailor interface is also much more intuitive than iNavX in my opinion. Once you have purchased your charts, updates are free. I always have the latest charts. Their tech support is awesome. I had an issue with a restore which was due to my ignorance rather than the product and had an email solution the next day. You can integrate AIS and tidal info but there is a subscription for that. It works on both iPhone and iPad and your charts are available for both. I think there are some videos on Youtube showing how it looks and works.

I tried Navionics once on a friends tablet but still preferred iSailor. However that could have been because iSailor is so familiar to me now.

I would certainly recommend it.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 23:03   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

I started using Coastal Explorer for windows hardware. It works with mac running windows. But is designed for the pure windows environment.

Charts are free noaa charts both vector and raster. Full set of Canadian charts are said to cost only $99. I have not yet purchased the Canadian charts but was told best deal in town.

If the fear of electronic failure is on your mind you can print your route and all the charts in hard copy to carry as back up. A guide, weather info and if you have it AIS is displayed.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote