Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-01-2016, 10:50   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop
Re: Faulty 12 volt power point socket Fire put out with a jar of olives in Brine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
NEVER use AC plugs/receptacles for DC. Extremely dangerous. ......
Rubbish. Like in most things, it all depends.

Old 26-01-2016, 10:53   #17

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Re: Faulty 12 volt power point socket Fire put out with a jar of olives in Brine

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Rubbish. Like in most things, it all depends.
Yes, it depends if you want your crew electrocuted, or not.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 11:58   #18

Boat: Mainship 390

Quote:
Yes, it depends if you want your crew electrocuted, or not.
Can you explain how the 2-pole, 2-wire waterproof AC connectors suggested by GordMay are going to electrocute your crew if used for 12v DC (assuming they are wired and fused appropriately)?
Old 26-01-2016, 12:02   #19

Boat: Gulf 32 & Nimble 20

A little clarification here if you would... are you saying there is something mechanically / electrically dangerous about using AC plugs for DC work, or are you just referring to the fact that there is potential for mixing up what is AC and what is DC (and therefore plugging your DC appliance into an AC socket or vice versa).

Thanks.

-- Bass

Quote:
NEVER use AC plugs/receptacles for DC. Extremely dangerous.
Old 26-01-2016, 13:02   #20

Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Odyssey 36i

I just had an overheating one, I found that I had to insert the plug just right to make it line up with the ground contact for it not to overheat and also there is a contact on the ground that I bent in a little to hold the plug better, this is on a cigarette lighter socket not a power polnt which I think are junk, cigarette sockets are deigned for more heat I think.
Old 26-01-2016, 13:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
...there is potential for mixing up what is AC and what is DC (and therefore plugging your DC appliance into an AC socket...
This.

Just say no to doing dangerous substitutions.
Old 26-01-2016, 13:57   #22

Boat: Catalina 30

Cig lighter plugs/sockets are a horrible design. If they don't have a complete ground ring, you need to get the grounds lined up. The plugs fall out (unless you're using the magic locking ones). They overheat. Current capacity is not a standard. They out and out suck.

I used a MARINCO ConnectPro Trolling Motor Plug & Receptacle | West Marine for my solar install (the panel is removable) - Not much bigger than a cig lighter but far more robust. (and more $$$)

Sea-Dog and Perko both make devices like this: Sea-Dog Polarized Cable Outlet - 12 Volt - DC Connectors & Plugs - Electrical - Downwind Marine
Old 26-01-2016, 14:12   #23

Boat: Ingrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Unfortunately, they are expensive.
http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?id=8797

Of course they are!
Old 26-01-2016, 14:26   #24

Boat: Mainship 390

If you can mistakenly plug in an ML-1 plug wired for 12v (or any other voltage) into a NEMA 5-15 AC receptacle, you are a magician. It's impossible. That's why it's a great alternative as Gord suggests.
Old 26-01-2016, 16:44   #25

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
looks like it wasn't fused.... what size fuse did you have on the wire on the battery side?

Your correct, thanks for the comment, it dawned on me this morning I had made an instillation error. everything wired has a rated fuse, however my error was I was thinking only one side of the fuse equation the male plug side requiring the power and not the female socket power delivery as per my photos.

Still these plugs are promoted as water proof, but none I can find are fire proof as well.

Old 26-01-2016, 16:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Cig lighter plugs/sockets are a horrible design. If they don't have a complete ground ring, you need to get the grounds lined up. The plugs fall out (unless you're using the magic locking ones). They overheat. Current capacity is not a standard. They out and out suck.

I used a MARINCO ConnectPro Trolling Motor Plug & Receptacle | West Marine for my solar install (the panel is removable) - Not much bigger than a cig lighter but far more robust. (and more $$$)

Sea-Dog and Perko both make devices like this: Sea-Dog Polarized Cable Outlet - 12 Volt - DC Connectors & Plugs - Electrical - Downwind Marine
Thanks but I do not want to cut into the bulk head, my error was to rely on the fuse for the male plug in item and not the the female socket.
Old 26-01-2016, 16:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsailing.gr View Post
Glad to see that you found a solution before it's too late. For what are you using these sockets? For usb chargers or something else? You can put on your next installation a fuse just after the 12v connection of the socket 1-2 amperes more than your devices need.
Thanks for your question, I'm using the 12 volt socket mostly to run a very small powered pump to move rain water from my porta boat dingy into my boats water tanks which sits on the fordeck, saves me going to the marina using town water.
Old 26-01-2016, 16:58   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostgirl View Post
I just had an overheating one, I found that I had to insert the plug just right to make it line up with the ground contact for it not to overheat and also there is a contact on the ground that I bent in a little to hold the plug better, this is on a cigarette lighter socket not a power polnt which I think are junk, cigarette sockets are deigned for more heat I think.
Frankly I discovered that cigarette sockets are not heat or fire proof that is the problem when one experences a short, like I did.
Old 26-01-2016, 17:05   #29

Actually the problem was the dangerous installation.
Old 26-01-2016, 17:20   #30

Quote:
Actually the problem was the dangerous installation.
Your correct, it dawned on me I made an instillation error. I was thinking only one side of the fuse equation the male plug side requiring the power and not the female socket power delivery as per my photos. Still these plugs are promoted as water proof, but none are fire proof as well. .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: