Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 18:09   #1

Boat: looking
External GPS Antenna

I recently installed a Standard Horizon CPF180i plotter/fishfinder and GX2150 VHF/DSC/AIS radio on my boat. I modified a hole in my aft house bulkhd for the plotter & have to add an external GPS antenna. SH promotes their "Smart GPS Antenna" for this purpose, but I'm wondering if I can, for a month or two, get away with a cheaper unit - budget getting stretched - like one of the "hockey puck" designs? Neither the plotter manual nor the SH site have any info. on this. All opinions much appreciated!
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 00:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: External GPS Antenna

Your 180i should have an internal GPS antenna. It may work OK with it.

I've a 300i (internal antenna) and have been a bit disappointed with the satellite acquisition. I'd be guessing it could work a lot better with the proper Standard Horizon 50 channel GPS Antenna so if possible I'd wait and get the real thing.

Not totally expensive from Defender.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 00:52   #3

Thanks! I can't use the internal antenna, due to the way I have the plotter mounted, through bulkhd. I'll check Defender, although we're due to leave L.A. on the 13th. Maybe I'm just becoming cheap, but $160+ from WM for the SH "smart" antenna seems strong compared to other units on the market. I do have a Garmin E-trex, so maybe I'll attach it to the port 3 & see if they can communicate with each other.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:53   #4

Wow, significant difference @ Defender, on this. Should be interesting to see if WM will match when I'm picking up an order today.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:25   #5
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
Wow, significant difference @ Defender, on this. Should be interesting to see if WM will match when I'm picking up an order today.
Yep, they will. Or more accurately they should. I went in with a defender printout to buy my plotter when they were running the manufacturer rebate. While in store, I decided to get the smaller plotter and the whizbang depth sounder for about the same coin. The nice guys at WM were helpful enough to loan me their computer and printer for about 5 minutes so I could print out the Defender page for the different plotter and sounder, saving me a trip home and back (or more accurately, a trip home and to the WM down at the harbor). I consider that way beyond the call of retail duty.

I think paying full WM prices is nothing more than a tax on the unprepared...

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 20:34   #6

Thanks, JRM! I went to WM today & they looked the Defender price up on their computer & matched it! The clerk also straightened me out on the "black box" issue; That my plotter has the necessary equipment & I don't need that black box between my transducer & plotter. Truly amazing how things have changed in marine electronics over the past 10 years, or so.

Tags
antenna, gps