Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-09-2013, 06:43   #1
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa
Experience with Delorme Inreach

This summer I stated out with an Inreach 2. It failed within 2 months (the message button stopped working). I got a replacement. It failed within 1 month (the power button stopped working). These units were stored inside, and only outside for brief periods to send a position or SMS. I also had significant battery capacity problems. Now this hardware has been replaced recently by the Inreach Se, and I hope it is more reliable.

But I have also had a terrible time with Delorme's accounting. I bought a 1 year plan, and they refused to refund the unused portion. And just today I see that three months ago they 'auto renewed' the plan (I just got an e-mail with invoice), which I never authorized, and are trying to charge me late fees. Inreach's service desk is of course closed on weekends.

It's a shame, because the system has promise. But it all left me with a very bad taste.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 08:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: islandpacket
Yeh I had the same billing problem with auto renew I even put it on a temp single use credit card and they still was able to renew it. I called and they were very helpfull. It seems it is all auto renew unless you call. And the only way to change options is to call. Time use varies with the type of batteries you use. They use a particular one not a regular AA
That derelict boat was another dream for somebody else, don't let it be your nightmare and a waste of your life.
Badsanta is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: