Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2017, 23:25   #136
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Equipment list for Pacific crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Don't think so, just in case, here it is:
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/...422162779.html

the negatives on that one for the OP are no inboard and the refit needs to be finished. Certainly a better choice than the Columbia 26 MK II though.

Also keep in mind there are consignment stores (there is one down here in Ventura) where you can find bargains on many things but they aren't advertised. There is also Minney's at Newport Harbor (Costa Mesa) for all kinds of boat gear, some new, some used, at great prices. Once you get to a place where there are boats and marinas, people will help you find the places with the best deals on boat stuff. Here:

Minney's Yacht Surplus - Home
https://www.mikescms.com/

Minneys has used sails as does Bacon:

https://baconsails.com/
better choice than any I have seen mentioned in the thread thus far.
Old 14-12-2017, 03:49   #137

Boat: Grampian, 23

Quote:
Don't think so, just in case, here it is:
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/...422162779.html

the negatives on that one for the OP are no inboard and the refit needs to be finished. Certainly a better choice than the Columbia 26 MK II though.

Also keep in mind there are consignment stores (there is one down here in Ventura) where you can find bargains on many things but they aren't advertised. There is also Minney's at Newport Harbor (Costa Mesa) for all kinds of boat gear, some new, some used, at great prices. Once you get to a place where there are boats and marinas, people will help you find the places with the best deals on boat stuff. Here:

Minney's Yacht Surplus - Home
https://www.mikescms.com/

Minneys has used sails as does Bacon:

https://baconsails.com/
Thanks I'll check those out. Just out of curiosity and so I understand better what I should be looking at. What issues do the Columbia 26 MK II have that makes it unsuitable for my goals? From what I could tell she's a heavy displacement boat with a heavy keel. From everything I've read they're supposedly built like tanks and handle well in weather. Several stories said they've handle extremely well in winds 30-40. She has a flush deck and is well inside my budget. Another positive I read was she is high so the cockpit and deck tend to stay dry in most weather. The only downside I'm seeing is the fin keel and the spade rudder. So maybe I'm not understanding the criteria or I'm missing key notes to look at when choosing a bluewater boat?
Tidjian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 09:30   #138

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidjian View Post
Thanks I'll check those out. Just out of curiosity and so I understand better what I should be looking at. What issues do the Columbia 26 MK II have that makes it unsuitable for my goals? From what I could tell she's a heavy displacement boat with a heavy keel. From everything I've read they're supposedly built like tanks and handle well in weather. Several stories said they've handle extremely well in winds 30-40. She has a flush deck and is well inside my budget. Another positive I read was she is high so the cockpit and deck tend to stay dry in most weather. The only downside I'm seeing is the fin keel and the spade rudder. So maybe I'm not understanding the criteria or I'm missing key notes to look at when choosing a bluewater boat?
Some boats are designed specifically for long distance ocean crossing. Many boats are not, but are built strong enough that they are being used as "blue water" boats.

One simple criteria to understand what the naval architect had in mind designing the boat is the tankage. I believe the Columbia 26 mkII has a water tank capacity of 13 gallons, I would be looking for a boat with 40+ gallons showing the designer wasn't building a coastal cruiser.

Of course in this day of watermakers, tankage is less important and there are a lot of really tough and well built coastal boats crossing the oceans, but as a rule of thumb when looking at www.sailboatdata.com etc. you can make an informed decision on suitability by tankage.

My boat is only a 27 footer but carries 70 gallons split between two tanks. I give up a lot of living space for the convenience of storage space, but there's only so much you can squeeze into a small boat.

One other thing, hull design and shape will better determine the dryness of a boat than freeboard.

As others have said, try and sail as much as you can on as many boats as you can. You will feel the difference in boats much better than anyone can describe it on here.

Best of luck,

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 09:48   #139

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Some boats are designed specifically for long distance ocean crossing. Many boats are not, but are built strong enough that they are being used as "blue water" boats.
Good advice. In addition to the excellent suggestions about the size of the tanks, also take a look at the cockpit. Many who use boats for passage making reduce the size of the cockpit by filling it with things so that it won't ship as much water as it would otherwise. Many blue water boats have smaller cockpits so that they don't fill up with a lot of water if pooped.

Water is heavy at just over eight pounds per gallon and a large cockpit, especially one with small scuppers, can carry a dangerous amount of water/weight. Be sure your scuppers can drain water quickly.

Also look at the companion way. Will it allow water in easily or is it high enough so that water will have a harder time getting in?
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 09:50   #140

Boat: Boatless

Tidjian:

It would be really interesting to know more about the "whats" and "whys" of this endeavour.

Why it's important to reach the Philippines.

What inspired sailing over say RVing or Mountain Climbing or remote cabin building?

What is the long term plan/vision?

Why now, why the rush (I think you alluded to this earlier)?

How (there is another one) will you sustain yourself, your boat and your potential crew?

Is there a woman involved (as Jimmy Buffett would say) :-) (some people claim that there's a woman to blame, but I know, da da da da da, it's my own damn fault)

The sailing community is full of interesting and colorful characters. Always cool to get to know them better!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 09:52   #141
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Good advice. In addition to the excellent suggestions about the size of the tanks, also take a look at the cockpit. Many who use boats for passage making reduce the size of the cockpit by filling it with things so that it won't ship as much water as it would otherwise. Many blue water boats have smaller cockpits so that they don't fill up with a lot of water if pooped.

Water is heavy at just over eight pounds per gallon and a large cockpit, especially one with small scuppers, can carry a dangerous amount of water/weight. Be sure your scuppers can drain water quickly.

Also look at the companion way. Will it allow water in easily or is it high enough so that water will have a harder time getting in?
all good points also must mention drop boards to increase the height of the companionway combing when in heavy weather.
Old 14-12-2017, 09:54   #142
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/bo...375323403.html
Meets almost all of the it's requirements except location. And at 8k a steal.
Old 14-12-2017, 10:15   #143

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Tidjian:

It would be really interesting to know more about the "whats" and "whys" of this endeavour.

What inspired sailing over say RVing or Mountain Climbing or remote cabin building?

How (there is another one) will you sustain yourself, your boat and your potential crew?

Is there a woman involved (as Jimmy Buffett would say) :-) (some people claim that there's a woman to blame, but I know, da da da da da, it's my own damn fault)

The sailing community is full of interesting and colorful characters. Always cool to get to know them better!
Interestingly, I've been wondering and was going to post a similar question, but you put it much better than what I was thinking.

One question I'll add is:
If it's driven simply by a desire for a change, to be on the water and somewhere cheap to live. Why not take a trip to Mexico and find a cheap boat, to sail on the Pacific coast of Mexico, there or in SoCal?

It's still warm, the boat requirements (and cost) will be much less, the risk goes way down while you're learning, it's still cheap and the food is good!
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 10:21   #144

I would be comfortable in going to sea in either the Columbia 29 that was shown, or the Islander 32. The Columbia looks like a lot less money, but to finish it and equip it would bring it up to the cost of the Islander or higher. I did crossings in a 26 foot boat and my next boat was 37 foot. The larger boat was easier to handle at sea because the decks were wider and I wasnt always squeezing around things like on the little boat. Yes, the pole was heavier and anchoring was heavier, but at sea, the sail handling was easier. Just another 2 cents worth. Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 12:37   #145

Boat: Grampian, 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Tidjian:

Haha no problem. I did make mention to my reasoning earlier. It's always been a passion of mine to sail the ocean. I've always had a keen interest in the south Pacific from Thailand to Tonga. It's been on a "to-do" list for as long as I could remember. I wish I could blame it all on some beautiful lass waiting for me across the ocean but if that was the case I would just fly there

A lot of it comes down to just a lack of time. So now I feel the pressure to do the things I want to do while I am able. It's hard to explain and maybe a little irrational by the normal mindset. But I assume anyone who's cross an ocean has gone through a moment of irrational thrill seeking desire. I'll admit I came here very unprepared for what I was hoping to do. Kind of like a tourist who randomly decides climbing Everest is a good idea. But I'm primarily here to learn and gather opinions and strategies as well as the knowledge of those who have achieved such things. What I was dead set on doing in a few months I've now managed to put into a more considerate plan. I might ask a lot of questions but I'm also doing a lot of learning. Yes, it's mostly theoretical when I'm only reading but as it's winter in Canada that's about all I can do for now. I plan to put a lot of this to practical use come May when I can get in the water.

As to the rest of your questions. Sure I suppose climbing a mountain would be swell and an experience of its own. But that seems like a very expensive endeavour for a few week thrill. I don't much care for RV'ing as I have been a truck driver. I've seen a lot of North America in that sense.

I hope that better answers anyone's curiosity.
Tidjian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 13:26   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidjian View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
But I'm primarily here to learn and gather opinions and strategies as well as the knowledge of those who have achieved such things. What I was dead set on doing in a few months I've now managed to put into a more considerate plan. I might ask a lot of questions but I'm also doing a lot of learning. Yes, it's mostly theoretical when I'm only reading but as it's winter in Canada that's about all I can do for now. I plan to put a lot of this to practical use come May when I can get in the water. >>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Nice presentation in addition to your earlier ones.

As you say, it's winter. Time to read. In addition to some suggestions here, do a search on the forum here using the search feature and type in BOOKS. There have been many discussions about suitable reading material. There many also have been mention earlier in this thread about the online book about singlehanding, it's very good. I started sailing at summer camp when I was a kid, but until I got back from work overseas in the late 70s I couldn't buy a boat. I finally did, but, man, did I ever read, read, read.

Good luck, happy hunting.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 13:40   #147
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a site with lots of excellent information should keep you reading for a few months.
Singlehanded Sailing Society | San Francisco Shorthanded Racing
Old 14-12-2017, 21:18   #148

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
https://bellingham.craigslist.org/bo...375323403.html
Meets almost all of the it's requirements except location. And at 8k a steal.
That is one good-looking Islander 32... Maybe you could sail it down to SF with him... perhaps?????
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 21:31   #149
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That is one good-looking Islander 32... Maybe you could sail it down to SF with him... perhaps?????

that happens and you would have to sail Pythagoras up and meet us .
Could get SC to drop in for lunch
Old 15-12-2017, 01:30   #150

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

.....and wouldn't that be a lovely outcome?! :-D

A.

Tags
equipment, men