Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2018, 08:12   #1

Emergency anchor light?

I am looking for a cheap battery powered solution, would a simple LED camping lantern do the job?

Old 25-05-2018, 08:19   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Emergency anchor light?

Yes, that's what I use all the time.

You can buy them at different strengths also and many are adjustable
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 12:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yes, that's what I use all the time.

You can buy them at different strengths also and many are adjustable
Thanks. I'll get myself one and see how they fare in pouring rain. Maybe add some sikaflex here and there
Old 25-05-2018, 12:25   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Luci light. Cheap, durable, and has a thousand other uses. I have three on my boat and could not live without them. Give them a good charge and they will last all night.

In crowded anchorages with drunk dinghy drivers I hang one of these on my forestay, shoulder height, even with my masthead anchor light on. They have straps for hanging top and bottom.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 12:40   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Davis makes one with built-in photo-sensor.

https://www.cruisingsolutions.com/co...y-anchor-light
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 13:51   #6

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Luci light. Cheap, durable, and has a thousand other uses. I have three on my boat and could not live without them. Give them a good charge and they will last all night.

In crowded anchorages with drunk dinghy drivers I hang one of these on my forestay, shoulder height, even with my masthead anchor light on. They have straps for hanging top and bottom.
+1
They're the modern Bebi lights.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 14:33   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Even an anchor light should be visible for 2 miles for someone with normal vision. If it is really bright at 1/2 mile, it will probably let others see and avoid you, drunks excepted.

Ann
Old 25-05-2018, 14:37   #8
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post

The ones I had would never last the night
Old 25-05-2018, 14:42   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Emergency anchor light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Even an anchor light should be visible for 2 miles for someone with normal vision. If it is really bright at 1/2 mile, it will probably let others see and avoid you, drunks excepted.

Ann

And there is your problem, a cheap battery lantern or even a gas Coleman Lantern hoisted up the mast on a Halyard may well be as if not more effective than a certified anchor light, not having a certified light may be just the excuse an Insurence company needs to not pay you, other guys Insurence company also, or it may be all that is needed for the accident to be largely your fault.
Supplemental lights are I think excellent to hopefully give the drunks and others something to see, cause how often do people look up in the stars looking to find a boat in an anchorage?
Most of us look five or six feet off of the water for a hull.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 15:37   #10

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
...not having a certified light may be just the excuse an Insurence company needs to not pay you, other guys Insurence company also, or it may be all that is needed for the accident to be largely your fault.
This is probably the most important comment in this thread so far. In the event of any kind of accident involving or even near you, this WILL come up in the investigation.

Can you get away with saving a few bucks? Probably. Is it worth it to risk everything you own and ever will own? You decide.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 15:43   #11

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

As an emergency anchor light or even a supplemental light it would be good. As others have said not as the sole light.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 15:47   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Leaving on cabin lights or a cockpit light is very effective. The whole boat will glow. I've been know to do this when there are drunks in RIBs and speed boats around.
Old 25-05-2018, 17:17   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
This is probably the most important comment in this thread so far. In the event of any kind of accident involving or even near you, this WILL come up in the investigation.
This sort of statement comes up often, yet I have never heard of any factual occurrence where it has lead to a judgement against the user of a light that met visibility regs but was not "certified".

You seem quite sure that it will be invoked, so doubtless you can provide a link or reference to an actual case where it has done so.

Jim
Old 25-05-2018, 17:28   #14

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

The best backup anchor light might be, another anchor light.

An inexpensive sealed unit from amazon with a long cord added to plug in below while it hangs somewhere over the boom.

Edit to add, .. emergency? As in no battery power? Maybe one of those battery powered all around white lights made for use on dighys.
Old 25-05-2018, 18:37   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Emergency anchor light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This sort of statement comes up often, yet I have never heard of any factual occurrence where it has lead to a judgement against the user of a light that met visibility regs but was not "certified".

You seem quite sure that it will be invoked, so doubtless you can provide a link or reference to an actual case where it has done so.

Jim

Jim, I likely couldn’t find it, but there was reference of a case on here jus the other day where a boat at anchor was found partially responsible for the collision because they were not displaying the proper day shape.
Other than the rare large Commercial Boat, I have only ever seen one other anchor ball.
That was in the mooring field in Vero Beach Fl.

Plus on another note, not having and displaying proper equipment often has you having unexpected guests.
I’d just as soon not have to explain to whatever LEO that a battery powered lantern was a proper anchor light.

As an aside note, I just had our boat, and dinghy inspected by the USCG auxiliary to get the little sticker so that hopefully this year I won’t be pestered as much. This is the card he handed me, I was surprised by it, cause I have never in my life been properly equipped in my canoe etcClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	170529

You left the US I assume before 911? If so that explains it, this is not the same USA as it was before 911.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, emergency, enc