Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2018, 18:48   #16

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Emergency anchor light?

Just in my home area, I know of two recent night-time boating accidents involving fatalities. In both cases, one (apparently drunk and at-fault) go-fast boater crashed into an anchored boat (in one case) or slow-moving boat (in the other case.) In both cases, the attorney for the go-fast went to great lengths to try to prove that the (in my view, innocent) victims were to blame because of inadequate lighting.

But you don't have to believe me. Feel free to do your own research. Or ignore it.

And, yes, better to use ANYthing in an emergency than have nothing at all. Lots of folks have a spare (approved) all-around light they can hang from the rigging if the one on the mast fails.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 19:47   #17

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

My emergency anchor light is ... my old anchor light.... had my mast down a few
years ago and changed out my anchor light and took the old fixture and wired it up to
hang about 6-7 ft off water. This is in addition to my redundant back up anchor light
from Marinebeam with photocell, off at dawn. All additional to mast head light.
Yes the boat lit up like a Christmas tree would be me.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 21:15   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
In both cases, the attorney for the go-fast went to great lengths to try to prove that the (in my view, innocent) victims were to blame because of inadequate lighting.
Ahh, there's the rub: "inadequate lighting". Nothing about whether it was CG approved, just that it was inadequate. I do believe that there is no requirement for your lights to be CG approved, only that they meet COLREGS. If they are approved, then it is a given that, when new they did meet COLREGS. Lack of approval does not mean lack of adequacy. And so, I'd ask in your example cases, did the lawyers succeed in placing the blame on the victim or was it the usual legal smoke screen?

We've all seen boats with approved fixtures whose brilliance was greatly degraded for one reason or another... and that's something the lawyers might get some traction with. But lack of approval, well, consider any foreign vessel in US waters. Their fixtures are likely not CG approved... are they all at risk of legal action in event of a collision? I suspect not!at anchor

I'm not advocating having inadequate lights, not at all, and view displaying good ones as both self preservation and a kindness to other sailors. Our solution is to display a normal 360 degree white lamp at the masthead (actually an approved fixture with a aftermarket LED lamp that is visibly brighter than the incandescent bulb it replaced) plus a similar, unapproved LED lamp hung above the boom from a lazy jack line. The latter also illuminates much of the aft portion of the boat.

And further (note this, A64!) we routinely display an anchor ball, and have for many years. This practice is still uncommon, but we're seeing a few more long term cruisers who hang their balls in the air (as it were). Pretty rare in weekenders...

Jim
Old 25-05-2018, 21:25   #19

Boat: Catalina 470

In many places in the world anchor lights arent used, locals dont recognize them. My main lighting is a long led strip in the cockpit. It lights up the back off the boat alot and I believe not only serves as a better anchor light but is a good deterrent regarding intruders as well as making your boat easy to find at night. Downside it can and does attract insects. Certainly produces alot more light than the traditional top of the mast light.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 01:43   #20

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Even an anchor light should be visible for 2 miles for someone with normal vision. If it is really bright at 1/2 mile, it will probably let others see and avoid you, drunks excepted.

Ann
So many aren't, useless little glowworm lights, pisses me off greatly.
Even worse are the idiots that think they don't need one at all.
Nearly took a boat out 6 mths ago when we came into an anchorage around 2am,pitch black and drizzle.
Lucky for him I decided to sweep the anchorage with a searchlight as we entered as he was invisible.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 01:49   #21

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

And further (note this, A64!) we routinely display an anchor ball, and have for many years. This practice is still uncommon, but we're seeing a few more long term cruisers who hang their balls in the air (as it were). Pretty rare in weekenders...

Jim
Never displayed one.
Firstly figure with us you can only see it from a front on angle
Secondly, if you can't see the big white boat in front of you what chance have you got of seeing a small, matt black ball?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 02:07   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, we would look for it,having seen it on ships, but we would not expect it, because use of anchor balls is rare.

However, to those to whom it is understood, it tells them, you're not moving right now, and that's something good to know. Especially if you are someone sailing out of an anchorage, tells you whether you're safe to go in front of or must go behind another vessel.

Ann
Old 26-05-2018, 02:09   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Jim, I likely couldn’t find it, but there was reference of a case on here jus the other day where a boat at anchor was found partially responsible for the collision because they were not displaying the proper day shape.
Other than the rare large Commercial Boat, I have only ever seen one other anchor ball.
That was in the mooring field in Vero Beach Fl.

Plus on another note, not having and displaying proper equipment often has you having unexpected guests.
I’d just as soon not have to explain to whatever LEO that a battery powered lantern was a proper anchor light.

As an aside note, I just had our boat, and dinghy inspected by the USCG auxiliary to get the little sticker so that hopefully this year I won’t be pestered as much. This is the card he handed me, I was surprised by it, cause I have never in my life been properly equipped in my canoe etcAttachment 170529

You left the US I assume before 911? If so that explains it, this is not the same USA as it was before 911.
Yes, left the US in March of '89. We were in New Caledonia, near Doking, when 911 occurred; heard about it on the ham net. Terrible time.

We heard ex-President Bush announce the war on terrorism on BBC News (HF radio). Later in the day, we arrived at the nearest town. The French flag was being flown at half mast, honoring the US dead. My heart still weeps for them.

Ann
Old 26-05-2018, 02:29   #24
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ahh, there's the rub: "inadequate lighting". Nothing about whether it was CG approved, just that it was inadequate.

And some physics, from the sadly long gone Bebi -

https://web.archive.org/web/20110827...cs.html#COLREG
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 02:34   #25

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

A bit of thread drift here, but I (foggily) recall the case of a large ship plowing through a crowded anchorage some years back, and in the ensuing court case they escaped liability because none of the anchored boats were showing an "anchored" dayshape. I've never used one, but always think about that case. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 02:41   #26

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Also, FWIW, I've made my own shabby anchor lights for years now out of 12V plug + LED bulb from EBay + plastic water bottle. The bulb gets inserted up into the bottle, which helps disperse the light, and provides waterproofing. A bit of silicone sealant and they last for years, and stay lit in a downpour. Mine are mounted on a 4' stick that I place in a vertical socket on deck. I've had other boaters come over to ask where I got such a nice bright anchor light. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 02:47   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
A bit of thread drift here, but I (foggily) recall the case of a large ship plowing through a crowded anchorage some years back, and in the ensuing court case they escaped liability because none of the anchored boats were showing an "anchored" dayshape. I've never used one, but always think about that case. . . .

I understand the various day shapes and I've read numerous rules for small boats. I have never seen a reference to day shapes in same. They are clear in col-regs and I don't see an exemption for smaller vessels.
On led's there are many fittings using 12, 220 and 110volts. There are also water proof standards. Chipset warrant different life terms. They are all relatively inexpensive but low price equals one or more of the qualities are not included. I've fitted over 40,000 led,s in buildings are they are a real game changer but quality fittings generally have a better return on capex over time. They cost more last upto 5 times longer and generally draw less current per watt of lighting
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 07:26   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Thankfully I have never been involved in a lawsuit, but I have observed some at a distance if you will.
Lawyers start grasping at strays, or another way of looking at it is they throw “stuff” at a wall and see what sticks.
Point of having certified equipment whether it be a light or a store bought anchor shape as opposed to rolling your own is what is called the burden of proof.
If it’s been certified for its intended purpose by a government agency or certified to a standard whether TUV or other body, the Laywer moves on.
If that’s hasn’t, then they will dig in and try to act as if your uncertified equipment was the cause of the accident and further try to show that you are an unsafe operator etc, evidenced by your use of unapproved equipment.
I’m being an ass to make a point, but do you make your own life preservers, flares or fire extinguishers? Why not?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 07:35   #29
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’m being an ass to make a point, but do you make your own life preservers, flares or fire extinguishers? Why not?
Nope. No way to make them yourself.

Anchor lights are different, you can make a much better product compared to the majority on offer (since Bebi went down) for the cost of a couple of beers.

Do you make your own salad dressing?

And again, has anyone ever, anywhere heard of any factual occurrence where it has lead to a judgement against the user of a light that met visibility regs but was not "certified"?.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 08:09   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Thankfully I have never been involved in a lawsuit, but I have observed some at a distance if you will.
Lawyers start grasping at straws, or another way of looking at it is they throw “stuff” at a wall and see what sticks.
Point of having certified equipment whether it be a light or a store bought anchor shape as opposed to rolling your own is what is called the burden of proof.
If it’s been certified for its intended purpose by a government agency or certified to a standard whether TUV or other body, the Laywer moves on. Of not then how do you prove your light or shape etc meets the regs? They contend it doesn’t and may bring in an “expert” to testify it doesn’t, or if you listen closely actually all they say is it may not, but it sure sounds damning.
If that’s hasn’t, then they will dig in and try to act as if your uncertified equipment was the cause of the accident and further try to show that you are an unsafe operator etc, evidenced by your use of unapproved equipment.

It all boils down to how risk adverse are you? I’m not necessarily risk adverse, but come from a background where you mitigate all risks that are reasonable to do so, and an approved anchor light is so easy to do, and not very expensive, so why not?

For me it’s not reasonable to purchase a boat that is unsinkable or has crash bulkheads etc., cause I can’t afford it, but I still want to cruise, so I accept those risks
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, emergency, enc