Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2018, 18:03   #46

Boat: Catalina 42Mk2
Re: Email access while offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasos View Post
p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; } Hi Gary on Meshugah

I need to retract my advice regarding Telstra. I am finding that their actual coverage on the ground (water?) is not nearly as good as their maps imply. At Lizard Island you need to take you phone and its external antenna up the hill to get signal. From there on all the way to the Escape River we had no signal. A big Telstra tower at Portland Roads was damaged some time ago and will apparently not be replaced until December, which explains much of the blackout. From Escape River through to Seisia coverage is OK. Then nothing till Gove, not surprising. I’m now on the Arnhem coast and finding sporadic coverage, quite a bit less than what's shown on the Telstra maps. In retrospect I wish I had a satellite device of sorts.
Thanks for that updated advice re the Qld and NT coast. It will be interesting to try out my new Comset Router with twin antennas (which creates a WiFi hotspot) and to see how good or bad the Telstra coverage off-shore will be.

As a back-up plan I have purchased an Iridium Go with data plan and email software subscription from Global Marine Network in the USA.

As a further back-up plan I have removed the intermittent Icom 710 HF radio and antenna tuner from my boat and am getting them checked out, so that I can use HF for email if I get desperate.

As I stated at the outset, I must be in touch with the office otherwise the wheels come off. The office keeps me sailing so I must look after it. Hopefully these 3 options will keep me connected!

Thanks to everyone for all the very useful input.
meshugah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
email, offshore