Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2013, 05:45   #121
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Electronics -- System Architecture

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but it the autopilot is currently taking up one plug in the Seatalk converter, "can I daisy chain the rest of the ST 60+ instruments from the contoller. " you would be able to feed 4 more instruments into the same converter. Or, if the other instruments were already being merged into one cable? Presumably that one feed would only count as one device.

Raymarine often picks up their tech support phone, free to US callers last I checked, and their folks usually have answers at hand. It might pay to call them directly since they may also know about other issues (i.e. comparative performance?) when a system is set up one way versus another, and ways to bend the rules.

I know, for you that's an international call, but with cheap IP calling plans, it still shouldn't hurt.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 06:08   #122

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but it the autopilot is currently taking up one plug in the Seatalk converter, "can I daisy chain the rest of the ST 60+ instruments from the contoller. " you would be able to feed 4 more instruments into the same converter. Or, if the other instruments were already being merged into one cable? Presumably that one feed would only count as one device.

Raymarine often picks up their tech support phone, free to US callers last I checked, and their folks usually have answers at hand. It might pay to call them directly since they may also know about other issues (i.e. comparative performance?) when a system is set up one way versus another, and ways to bend the rules.

I know, for you that's an international call, but with cheap IP calling plans, it still shouldn't hurt.
The auto pilot control head (ST8002) is connected to the ng backbone through the seatalkng converter, I just don't know whether the protocols will allow the other ST 60+ instruments to be daisy chained through the ST 8002?

Raymarine has a forum now where they answer questions but of course we have a 13 hour time difference from malaysia. Looks like it is 0900 EST so they will probably be rubbing their eyes and drinking coffee.

Funny thing was, I had the SPX-SOL connected to both the ng backbone and Sea Talk for quite a while and it worked except for I wasn't getting the SeaTalk data directly to the 2nd chartplotter at the binnacle when it was set as the data master. Then I lost the AIS 500 and got talking to a Ray dealer in Singapore who said that you could n't do that and that you had to either go all Seatalk for the AP Brain or put the controller on a seatalkng converter and remove the seatalk from the brain. This of course led to all the problems on how to get Seatalk on to the system again.

Hope they respond soon as we would like to get over to Singapore.

At least we have a functioning AIS transceiver again. AIS 650. Can't sail in Singapore without one you know. It is a FINE city.

Thanks,
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 07:09   #123

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

This might already be known to everyone but Raymarine now has a forum for discussions of their products, etc.

raymarine.ning.com/forum/ Didn't even have to make that phone call!

The answer to the question is that all first generation seatalk can now be connected to the ng backbone with a seatalk/ng converter with the latest software installed. Software is free so no problem there.

There are some protocols limiting the number of instruments/devices that can be connected to a single converter (5) but this makes it easy to upgrade without having to buy all new instruments, transducers, etc.

undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 08:58   #124
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Undercutter-
You're in Malaysia? But your profile says you're in Canada. I'm confused, I hadn't realized that Canada had annexed and absorbed Malaysia! It must have been a very short and quiet war. Or did you just offer to build hockey stadiums and they capitulated? <WEG>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 14:27   #125
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Quote:
Undercutter-
You're in Malaysia? But your profile says you're in Canada. I'm confused, I hadn't realized that Canada had annexed and absorbed Malaysia! It must have been a very short and quiet war. Or did you just offer to build hockey stadiums and they capitulated? <WEG>
We were actually working toward a Caribbean Island, somewhat smaller that Grenada, so it would not take to long!
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:00   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
So is everything working fine?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 03:56   #127

Quote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this,
Only one spur is available for ST but you can chain the way you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
The above limitation in fact relates to the current carrying capacity of the converter (950mA)
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 19:59   #128

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

In regards to the Maretron WSO100, I get the impression from the instruction sheet that this can be hooked up to most NMEA 2000 devices. Providing they are set up for it.

Quote:
These parameters may be configured using a Maretron instrumentation display, such as the Maretron DSM200, or other NMEA 2000® chartplotters or instrumentation displays with WSO100 configuration capability. Please refer to your chartplotter/display manual for details.
Users with direct access to the NMEA 2000® interface may configure these parameters directly through the NMEA 2000® interface. Please refer to Appendix A for a description of the NMEA 2000® messages used to configure these parameters.
Quote:
Appendix A – NMEA 2000® Interfacing
WSO100 NMEA 2000® Periodic Data Transmitted PGNs
PGN 130306 – Wind Data
The WSO100 uses this PGN to provide a regular transmission of apparent wind speed and direction data. The factory default for periodic transmission rate is ten times per second. The transmission of this PGN can be disabled (see PGN 126208 – NMEA Request Group Function – Transmission Periodic Rate).
Field 1: SID – The sequence identifier field is used to tie related PGNs together. For example, the WSO100 will transmit identical SIDs for 130306 (Wind Data) and 130311 (Environmental Parameters) to indicate that the readings are linked together (i.e., the data from each PGN was taken at the same time although they are reported at slightly different times).
2: Wind Speed – This field is used to indicate the wind speed in units of 10mm/second.
3: Wind Direction – This field is used to indicate the wind direction in units of 0.0001 radians/second.
4: Wind Reference – This field is set to a value of 0x02 to indicate that the wind reading is an apparent wind speed and direction.
5: Reserved (21 bits) – This field is reserved by NMEA; therefore, this field always contains a value of 0x1FFFFF (the WSO100 sets all reserved bits to a logic 1)
This is a little over my head but has anyone tried to use the B&G Tritons for this unit? I haven't dug into the Triton instructions yet but was wondering if anyone may have tried.
Old 13-04-2013, 21:01   #129

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Oh! It looks like you can connect Seatalk instruments directly to an i70 display. So theoretically, I could have one or two i70's, and leave two or three of my ST60+ displays, without any compromises of the NMEA2000 architecture. Cool!
You can connect your existing wind, depth, speed and other transducers to an Raymarine iTC5 Instrument Transducer Converter use the I70 to calibrate and feed Seatalk 1 to the ST60 instruments.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 05:06   #130
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just a note that there is new blood entering the sailing market:

http://row.cosworth.com/products/marine/performance-sailing/lightwave-realtime-processor/
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 05:32   #131

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
In regards to the Maretron WSO100, I get the impression from the instruction sheet that this can be hooked up to most NMEA 2000 devices. Providing they are set up for it.

This is a little over my head but has anyone tried to use the B&G Tritons for this unit? I haven't dug into the Triton instructions yet but was wondering if anyone may have tried.
Yes, I have my WSO-100 up and running with my Tritons. Worked perfectly right out of the box, no set up required at all. The Tritons are awesome; amazing.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 05:36   #132

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finistere View Post
You can connect your existing wind, depth, speed and other transducers to an Raymarine iTC5 Instrument Transducer Converter use the I70 to calibrate and feed Seatalk 1 to the ST60 instruments.
I've decided to leave my old ST60 wind system entirely separate and freestanding. I have four instrument positions on my scuttle -- formerly Speed, Depth, Wind, Close-Hauled Wind, all ST60. I have removed all but the Wind display, and have fitted 3 Tritons. So I will have wind from two different sources. I didn't need the instrument position anyway, so it was cheap (free) redundancy.

It will be interesting to compare the accuracy of the WSO100 with the ST60 mechanical system. I was actually quite pleased with the ST60 wind system; we'll see whether the WSO100 is a great leap forward.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 22:50   #133

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Yes, I have my WSO-100 up and running with my Tritons. Worked perfectly right out of the box, no set up required at all. The Tritons are awesome; amazing.
Thanks!
I did go over the Triton manual, and it said nothing about using off brand transducers.
So, which display do you get?

The Triton?

Or the Maretron?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maretron_wind.gif
Views:	105
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	59217  
Old 15-04-2013, 03:00   #134
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
or other NMEA 2000® chartplotters or instrumentation displays with WSO100 configuration capability.
Therein lies the f&*k-up that is configuration over N2K. ( my italics)

Dave
Old 15-04-2013, 08:34   #135

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
I've decided to leave my old ST60 wind system entirely separate and freestanding. I have four instrument positions on my scuttle -- formerly Speed, Depth, Wind, Close-Hauled Wind, all ST60. I have removed all but the Wind display, and have fitted 3 Tritons. So I will have wind from two different sources. I didn't need the instrument position anyway, so it was cheap (free) redundancy.

It will be interesting to compare the accuracy of the WSO100 with the ST60 mechanical system. I was actually quite pleased with the ST60 wind system; we'll see whether the WSO100 is a great leap forward.
I'll be very interested in how they compare. I need to pull the trigger on a masthead wind sensor and right now it looks like the WSO100 is how I'll go.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, electronics