Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2017, 11:30   #31

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: Electronic refit - PC vs Propreitary?

I have an iPad in a LifeProof weatherproof case on a Ram mount on the binnacle for use while sailing. I use iSailor for nav software. I have a Garmin 492 down below contacted to the vhf for DSC, and don't use it for navigation because it is too small and old, but it's a great backup, and it provides gps for the VHF. The iPad is plugged in at the helm. I have been out in the Atlantic with it, out of cell range, no problem. The iPad is my primary screen.

I also run my logbook app at the same time to automatically make entries every hour.

I have brand new pager charts on board for all of my Cruising areas, though. Nothing better for planning a trip, and as a backup to electronic charts.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 08:09   #32

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers
Re: Electronic refit - PC vs Propreitary?

I have a Garmin 741 as well as the 4D Garmin radar.

The 741 is located at the helm allowing the helm's man to have a good situational awareness. This is handy when sailing short crew, such as a couple.

However, we find out that when we need to use the radar, since watching the radar screen and interpreting the data is almost a 100% full time job for a single person the helm's man cannot do this and steer the boat at the same time.

Here comes the ipad. We then enable the WIFI mode on the 741 and we can get a copy and control of the 741 screen on the ipad. The second crew member can then monitor the radar output.

If things would have to be redo, I would go with a second 741 at the nav table that could also get the radar data our even something with a larger screen like 8" or 9".
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit