Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-06-2016, 12:00   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Electromaax - just don't do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Because a school bus alternator is a large frame alternator and will not fit a lot of engines without serious modifications.
So the Electromax alternators are intended to replace the standard alternator? I guess that's the answer to my question then.

Yanmar offer mounts and pulleys for second alternators as standard. It's a good thing to have.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:03   #17
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
So the Electromax alternators are intended to replace the standard alternator? I guess that's the answer to my question then.

Yanmar offer mounts and pulleys for second alternators as standard. It's a good thing to have.
Indeed .... I wonder if such a mount exist for a Universal 35B engine (Kubota V1305)

Old 11-06-2016, 12:50   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY

Quote:
Indeed .... I wonder if such a mount exist for a Universal 35B engine (Kubota V1305)
Balmar/Altmount makes a Serpentine Conversion Kit for the Universal 35B engine, but I don't know of a second alternator kit.

It many not surprise anyone, but ElectroMaax copied the serpentine pulley conversion kit from Balmar/Altmount and is selling serpentine kits in the USA in violation of Balmar's US Patent 8,939,855
I remember showing this patent to John Stevens when it was first published, and his response was, "I'm a Canadian company, let them try to sue me." John knows he is selling Serpentine conversion kits illegally into the United States but just doesn't care, the guy is a real piece of work.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:54   #19
Jd1

Yes, I do have the serpentine kit ... but if a second alternator could be mounted I would be interested in doing that as a backup and to get a higher power output.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:58   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY

Quote:
Yes, I do have the serpentine kit ... but if a second alternator could be mounted I would be interested in doing that as a backup and to get a higher power output.
Yes...but what I see all the time is people with a 400-600AH Lead Acid battery bank thinking "bigger is better" and wanting to put two 160A alternators on their engine. Back up is great, but battery charge acceptance rates never crossed their mind....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 13:36   #21
Jd1

Charge acceptance is not an issue for me ... but a single alternator reducing output due to high temperature is an issue.
I will live with what I have but the concept of a kit for a second alternator was intriguing!
Old 11-06-2016, 15:16   #22

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Great thread. This is where social media really comes into its own.
It is galling to be dicked around by companies with expensive product and
hollow promises. Especially when the budget is tight.
I'm going to stick with the Delco/ bosch and a little less output initially, then maybe a three stage charger depending on what numbers i get from the alternator.
Old 11-06-2016, 15:33   #23

Quote:
Leece Neville makes tons of alternators in high capacity that would fit your boat. This is but one example:

http://www.ase-supply.com/Leece_Nevi...mo-110-603.htm

Maine Sail has written extensively about them on his website:

Welcome To MarineHowTo.com Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

He also used to have a C36, and has written on the C36 forum for quite some time.

He discusses belt (amp) manager features. I have discussed Small Engine Mode on this and other boating forums. You can use the Google search feature on this forum to find out lots of information.

He also recommends the MC-614 external regulator compared to the ARS series:

Alternator Regulators - The Differences between ARS-5 and MC-614 Units (scroll up to see reply #5)
External regulation | SailboatOwners.com Forums

How Alternators & Regulators Work PLUS External vs. Internal Regulators (by Maine Sail): Musings Regarding External Regulation | SailboatOwners.com Forums

I'm running a 100A alternator with an MC-612 on a 400 ah house bank. Keeping the voltage no lower than 12.1V, I rarely see more than 70A based on battery acceptance.

From that I have concluded that a serpentine belt is unnecessary. Been working great for over 10 years.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 17:28   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I guess I'm dumb! Would someone tell me what a school bus alternator is? Surely that is not literal. I have seen it referred to a no. of times.
It is quite simply the alternator that is mounted on a school bus.

You know what a school bus is, correct? Since nobody ever differentiates, I'm assuming the short school buses have the same alternator as the regular school buses.
Old 11-06-2016, 17:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
It is quite simply the alternator that is mounted on a school bus.

You know what a school bus is, correct? Since nobody ever differentiates, I'm assuming the short school buses have the same alternator as the regular school buses.
Does it have to be yellow?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 18:55   #26

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

There are serious large frame alternators mounted on many types of equipment. School buses, city buses, fire engines, ambulances (I found a F450 ambulance with low mileage that a volunteer fire dept. was getting rid of. They sold the alt. for a $100 donation. Unfortunately it was to a guy that got there before me. ) Any of the newer ones will have serpentine belts and you can often get most of what you need for the conversion with one deal. IMHO the only reason to stay with a small frame alt. is if you don't have room for a large one. Which unfortunately is rather common.
Old 12-06-2016, 00:10   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I guess I'm dumb! Would someone tell me what a school bus alternator is? Surely that is not literal. I have seen it referred to a no. of times.
They are actually called that in the trade:

http://www.prestolite.com/literature...nators_web.pdf

And they're even used in actual school buses!

But also in ambulances, emergency vehicles, etc.

The thing about them is that they are designed for a completely different purpose from a normal alternator.

A normal "car type" alternator is not designed or intended to produce power in bulk. These are made to run on-board systems like lighting and instruments on a car. Car start batteries only need a tiny bit of charging. And so if you ask them to charge a large bank of deep cycle batteries -- they are not made for this. They will reduce voltage (and therefore output) to save themselves (or burn out), and like that you don't get a fast or a good charge.

Whereas school bus alternators are made to produce their full rated output 24/7/365 even at high ambient temperatures. You can generate 2kW-3kW of power with some of them. And they are cheap to buy and cheap and easy to repair. The only downside as someone said is that they are large and heavy, and not everyone can find a place. They weigh 40 pounds or more and have much larger cases. You cannot generally fit them in the place the original alternator goes -- you need a special bracket to put them on the other side of the engine with their own belts (double or serpentine).

But it's worth it. Nearly as much useful output as a small diesel generator. If you have one of these PLUS a diesel generator, then you have really reliable redundant power sources for a boat with a lot of electrical gear.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:26   #28

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

220amp alternators on ebay to suit yanmar / a little more than 1 dollar an amp
they look compact /delco type / good luck with your upgrade / don't let one salesmans greed spoil your cruising plan
Old 12-06-2016, 10:19   #29

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Thanks to all those that explained the school bus gen. was just a term applied to an alternator as suspected. I'm sure some will be upset because a school bus don't float therefore they aren't marine.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:14   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27

Quote:
I'm sure some will be upset because a school bus don't float therefore they aren't marine.
What do you mean they don't float?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hippo-Inner-Harbour (1).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	126021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hippos-in-front-of-Steamship-Terminal.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	126022  

Click image for larger version