Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2010, 20:22   #1

Boat: Oceanis 411
Edson Instrument Mounts - Supplier in Australia ?

Edson single instrument mount looks ideal for 1 x ST60 display.
Now to find an Aussie supplier.
Anyone know one?
Or I'll just go direct US.
Old 18-04-2010, 21:01   #2

As with almost anything in Australia, the retailers etc will try their absolute best to rip you off, and completely ignore this new thing called "the internet". The mark up on stuff here in absolutely over the top and un-justified. Their business practices and supply chain model are nearly always old-fashioned and useless here.

The Edson mounts are 2 to 3 times the price via Aussie suppliers. Just go to Defender or similar and get them for cheap. It's time to get the Aussie businesses to smarten up.

Can you tell I'm a bit bitter about this?
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 21:10   #3

Looks like this could be the one you need. It's $190USD
Old 19-04-2010, 04:04   #4

Boat: Oceanis 411
yep - that is it - magic!
Credit card is out
Old 19-04-2010, 04:42   #5

I've had orders where USD to AUD + fast shipping + GST/Duty was still around 3x cheaper than buying from local dealers. I'm quite certain that many Aussie marine companies simply order from the US (at US retail pricing), then add their own huge mark-up on top of whatever their total cost was.

Here's a recent, though less extreme example:
I need a new Westerbeke heat exchanger, local Brisbane guy (who will remain nameless) says it's $895AUD, and one of his workers manages to tell me "he gets them from the US".

The same aftermarket exchanger from inetmarine.com is $315USD + $134.28USD shipping via UPS (less than 1 week wait!). Total cost to my door: $489.73AUD (with todays exchange rate).

So, why mess around with the local who is charging nearly double? I'd also be waiting at least an extra week while he places the order, gets his *#$! together, sends it out once it arrives, etc. Why bother? It's just a scam.

I was recently investigating purchasing wind generators locally, assume the shipping from N. America would be huge. It turns out the locals are gouging so badly, it's still far cheaper to ship a fairly bulky wind generator from the US, even with the exchange rate, duty, GST.

Defender seems pretty good with shipping rates to Australia when you factor in your savings. I pass out their catalogs to everyone here. They should be giving me affiliate bonuses!

Tags
Australia, edson