Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2018, 10:51   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Edit Antenna Location on Vesper WatchMate

I installed an external antenna some time ago for better GPS reception, of course now the antenna location is my stern and not the center of the boat anymore where the WatchMate is.
It is an issue now when using the anchor watch as of course the anchor isn’t where the WatchMate is told it is.
I can’t figure out where and how to edit it, does anyone know how, s in what menu either on the WatchMate vision itself or the app?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 11:13   #2

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II
Re: Edit Antenna Location on Vesper WatchMate

Here you go:

http://www.milltechmarine.com/custom...tall_Guide.pdf

Page 10 & 11.
Old 18-11-2018, 11:40   #3

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I installed an external antenna some time ago for better GPS reception, of course now the antenna location is my stern and not the center of the boat anymore where the WatchMate is.
It is an issue now when using the anchor watch as of course the anchor isn’t where the WatchMate is told it is.
I can’t figure out where and how to edit it, does anyone know how, s in what menu either on the WatchMate vision itself or the app?
A64,

I prefer to use the vmAIS app on my computer for both our old Watchmate 850 and the newer Vision which replaced it. [I don't know which Watchmate you have... there are 3 that I know of if we include the new Vision2 model... EDIT: Sorry... more coffee forthcoming. Vision. Got it...

You can download it from the app store for your OS of choice.

From a Watchmate Vision or Vision2 [touchscreen] you can also use the built-in menus:

Settings/AIS Settings/My Vessel Details/GPS Antenna Location

Hope this helps.

Cheers! Bill
Old 18-11-2018, 12:16   #4

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island

A64,

I meant to also include the menu path for adjusting GPS location from the Watchmate App on a pad or smart phone:

Watchmate/Vessel Details

Also, double check that the values you input for your GPS location add up to the LOA you wish to display for vessels that receive your AIS info... [i.e., measure from the LOA coordinates instead of LOD coordinates... It can make a difference...]

Cheers! Bill
Old 18-11-2018, 12:24   #5

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter

You need the vmAIS utility.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 15:11   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have the app, I can view it there, but can’t edit?
Anyway found out where to edit on the screen menu, then it kept saying I hadn’t saved the changes?
Finally seems to take, and as usual for me, I’m not sure exactly what I did to make it work

Thanks guys
Old 18-11-2018, 16:58   #7

Quote:
I have the app, I can view it there, but can’t edit?
Anyway found out where to edit on the screen menu, then it kept saying I hadn’t saved the changes?
Finally seems to take, and as usual for me, I’m not sure exactly what I did to make it work

Thanks guys
Yes, all 3 interfaces are different...

On the Vision touchscreen for changing the GPS location, you have to touch the circle with the down arrow [Save] instead of the X when you are finished inputting the new measurements.

On the smartphone/tablet app, you have to touch each dimension individually to edit it.

That is why I prefer the vmAIS app/utility running on my computer [Mac]. It makes it a bit easier, and has more info to play with as well.

For next time...

Cheers! Bill
Old 19-11-2018, 10:13   #8
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
I don't understand why you feel you needed better GPS reception. How/where did you mount/connect it and what problems did you have with GPS reception?

I have a Vespermarine Watchman 850 connected to my VHF antenna via a Vespermarine SP160 splitter (installed 2014) and don't have any problem with it whatsoever. It is mounted at the navigation station and supplies GPS and AIS data to my laptop charts. It works better than I ever thought it would.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 10:32   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Edit Antenna Location on Vesper WatchMate

It’s mounted in my Nav station as well, but has the VHF radio just above it, maybe the VHF blocks satellite reception, or maybe the deck, or more likely they both do some.
However with an external antenna, it gets many satellites, with a very good DOP, or EPE whichever Vesper calls it.
The better the accuracy, the more accurate it will be in anchor watch.
It tracks more satellites and has better accuracy than my Zeus plotter, so as it’s on the bus, I use it as the GPS source for the Zeus as well.
Old 19-11-2018, 16:30   #10
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
It’s mounted in my Nav station as well, but has the VHF radio just above it, maybe the VHF blocks satellite reception, or maybe the deck, or more likely they both do some.

However with an external antenna, it gets many satellites, with a very good DOP, or EPE whichever Vesper calls it.
The better the accuracy, the more accurate it will be in anchor watch.
It tracks more satellites and has better accuracy than my Zeus plotter, so as it’s on the bus, I use it as the GPS source for the Zeus as well.

I suspect that the VHF above your AIS is what is blocking the GPS signal. My AIS is above everything else at the Nav station with just the deck above it and operates fine.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna