Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 06:22   #1

Boat: Bayfield 36
EBAY PURCHASES AND RAY MARINE WARRANTY

I have recently purchased on Ebay a NEW Raymarine ST60+ wind instrument system thru a retailer using Ebay.
Upon installing it l find the unit is displaying wind direction but not speed.
I have contacted their online help and have tried to see if l had done the installation incorrectly and have determined that the indications and voltage checks l have performed in co operation with Raymarine techs indicate the unit to be defective (can not dedermine if it is just the instrument head the transducer or both) so Raymerine suggested l return it for warranty service.
Now this is where it gets interesting...since it was an Ebay purchase and no receipt per ce was actually received other than the Paypal information Raymarine reps have said they do not recognize Ebay as a retailer.
I have emailed the vendor and requested an official receipt be emailed or faxed to me but l have not received a reply.
I am in Canada and the retailer indicates a Marina Del Rey California Address.
The local Canadian Raymarine Dealer says too bad l should have purchased unit from them.
The California retailer had initially said send unit back and they will exchange it but l am a bit concerned with that seeing as l have had not further communication with them since last week.
Has anyone else been down this road?
Dave
wind rose ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:51   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
This is a typical Raymarine response and issue which is why I often caution folks from buying Raymarine period. I know this does not help you but I purchased Simrad instruments from an Ebay dealer and when they arrived a part had been broken in shipping. I called Simrad not the dealer and they immediately shipped a replacement part with no questions ask. I suggest you make one more attempt to contact the dealer and explain you will be forced to file a negative report on Ebay if they don't respond and help and then contact Ebay directly to try and help resolve this. Your best bet is to get the dealer to send you a replacement since Raymarine will not help you. Try a Google search to see if you can find a phone number or exact location on the dealer. NEVER buy from a retailer that does not have a phone number to contact.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:02   #3

They did provide a phone number and an address Chuck but when l called yesterday all l got was a fax machine.
They have already received positive feedback as l was very pleased with the rapid shipping and the product was indeed new in a box.
I have not given up on either Raymarine or the retailer as yet . I will call Raymarine warranty today and ask for a rep to consider the issue as it was the techie that mentioned the not recognizing Ebay remark and he may not have received the message correctly that l purchased new from a retailer and not used off Ebay.
I have a friend at the yacht club who works for West and he is going to try to get me a instrument head to see if it will determine wether the transducer is working so l won't have to scoot up the mast tto take it down if it's OK.
If l provide Raymarine the serial numbers off the instrument would they be able to determine that the unit is legitamate
Dave
Old 01-05-2008, 07:03   #4
jzk

Exchange it with the ebay retailer. You still have paypal protection, right?

As for Raymarine, shame on them. They "allow" these retailers to sell their products on ebay, and then don't want to support them? I mean, this retailer paid Raymarine for the product, right? It isn't like it fell off the back of a truck....
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:06   #5

Dave, If you got a Fax machine when you called then be sure and send them a fax in addition to your email.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 01-05-2008, 07:32   #6

Boat: 1974 Columbia 41
Easy fix. Buy a wind indicator from a retailer you didnt talk to and return your other one to them insted of the one you just bought. Get money back. Kind of dishonest, but ive done it before.
stoupidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoupidmonkey View Post
Easy fix. Buy a wind indicator from a retailer you didnt talk to and return your other one to them insted of the one you just bought. Get money back. Kind of dishonest, but ive done it before.
That is an option and not totally dishonest in that the unit will simply be sent back to Raymarine by that retailer for replacement or credit and they will probably have others to send back besides yours. The problem with doing this is the Raymarine serial numbers on the individual units. You may or may not run into a problem there. Best to get it resolved with Raymarine or the retailer. Unfortunately we find a large percentage of Raymarine instruments do not work right out of the box.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 01-05-2008, 07:56   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I would also send this thread along with the e-mail after it has heated up. That gives them a chance to correct the problem, or live with the information floating around.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:07   #9

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
google the fax number to see if you find any more info
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:55   #10

Well l just got off the phone with Raymarine Warranty rep...l gave them the serial numbers and they say it is not on their "north American" list and suggested it may be from Great Britain or somewhere? else? And that they would not perform warranty on it!!
Unless l can contact the vendor and get an exchange(that will work) it will have been an expensive lesson.
Anyone live near Marina Del Rey California that could help track the vendor down???
Do you think l could get this one to work if l took it to a local marine Electronics shop??
Dave
Old 01-05-2008, 09:04   #11

Gets me thinking..if l were a cruiser from say Italy and my wind instrument failed while in America...they would not repair it?? I would have to send it back to Italy??
WORLD WIDE SERVICE....BS.
Now if l have to buy another unit whos product should l buy?
Dave
Old 01-05-2008, 09:13   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Dear Raymarine,
Well, so far you guys are not looking very good for yourselves in a forum filled with thousands of current and potential Raymarine customers.

How about it Raymarine? ...would you like to look like a good guy? It would be very easy to redeem yourselves right here and now in front of at least a thousand boaters.

I would imagine that you spend millions of dollars per year in marketing a positive image while on the other hand negative word of mouth travels ten times as fast.

It's not Dave's fault that he got a hold of a defective Raymarine product that he believed to be legitimate and under warrany. How is a consumer supposed to know who he should and should not be purchasing Raymaine products from? Is the safe road to not buy any Raymarine products since we don't know with certainty who to purchase from?

What really would it cost for you to fix Dave's problem versus the potential loss of customers, reputation and revenue?

It's your choice Raymarine.

Sincerely,
David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind rose ll View Post
Gets me thinking..if l were a cruiser from say Italy and my wind instrument failed while in America...they would not repair it?? I would have to send it back to Italy??
WORLD WIDE SERVICE....BS.
Now if l have to buy another unit whos product should l buy?
Dave
Let's not get the wrong impression. Raymarine will repair any instrument as long as you pay for repairs. What we are discussing here is a warranty issue that they should take care of.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 01-05-2008, 09:32   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Dissapointing to say the least.

But kinda sadly familiar customer "service"..........so what Raymarine expect me to do as a customer is conduct due dilligence on a retailer to ensure they are supported by the Factory.....

I can see the advantage for Raymarine, but not for me.

Kinda annoying - as I like their stuff, and no. 1 choice for later this year, but why would I risk a fair chunk of dosh?

Yer never know, maybe they have been credit crunched?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:12   #15

Just an update...l sent another email to Raymarine and as someone suggested , sent a link to the forum.
The same fellow "Chris" that l had previously been having help me source the issues with the instrument emailed me to say he will look into the problem further and that the person with whom l had spoken with today from "Warranty" had mentioned a "North American" list, Chris advises me that there is no such "List".
My hopes are high!
Dave

Tags
raymarine