Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2016, 08:07   #16

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Easy to use GPS Chart Plotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
To me (my way of sailing) it seems like waypoint libraries and routes are a complete waste of time. Routes seem like something for a power boat who drives from buoy to buoy and usually letting the GPS correct the steering keeping the boat on a perfect rhumb line.... something rare with sailing... though possible in some cases.
Golly I use waypoints and routes all the time. Waypoints have obvious value in terms of marks, obstructions, shoals, etc. that you need to round or keep clear of. They also give me useful information in terms of ETA, VMG, leeway, currents, etc. Routes aren't something that I hew to like the bird flies, they're just a collection of way points, a convenience, and also observing my track relative to the point to point route can be useful in terms of the information it gives you.

Suijin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 22:58   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We have a new Raymarine 10" plotter. Way, WAY better than our previous Raymarine. The Garmin solution was about $1000 more than Raymarine, and the Wifi radar installation certainly helped the decision. Love the vastly improved support from Raymarine too. We had a horrible experience with Garmins support. Ugh. Made us pay for 3 masthead units.

Old 29-11-2016, 03:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Golly I use waypoints and routes all the time. Waypoints have obvious value in terms of marks, obstructions, shoals, etc. that you need to round or keep clear of. They also give me useful information in terms of ETA, VMG, leeway, currents, etc. Routes aren't something that I hew to like the bird flies, they're just a collection of way points, a convenience, and also observing my track relative to the point to point route can be useful in terms of the information it gives you.
Sure a mark on a hazard is not unreasonable. But your course and heading line should alert you to the fact that your course needs to be corrected. And most hazards will have a safe side or zone and so a way POINT may not be safe to navigate to. You MUST look at your chart. I suppose an arrival zone alarm could keep you away far enough. What's the problem with looking at the chart and see where your heading??????????????? Your course and heading lines will do just that!

TRACKS on the other hand are very useful because they show a path with no hazards that you have already done. I still maintain routes are a waste of time or perhaps time spent before sailing which is usually one has ample time to do as you are sailing. Scrolling the cursor and selecting waypoint at cursor. GO TO is all you need. And it's probably a good idea to do it on the fly because it forces you to look at the chart AND the conditions you are in (WATCH)... kind of engages you REAL TIME. How'se that for an idea? REAL TIME SAILING AND NAVIGATION?

Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps