Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2016, 18:51   #1

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 50
DXP38 HAL MODEM Pactor-Clover-RTTY

Are DXP38 HAL MODEM Pactor-Clover-RTTY any good for emailing or are they much slower than the likes Pactor 3? They are a friction of the price and I don't know whether its worth buying one or not?
Caroline Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 19:56   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: DXP38 HAL MODEM Pactor-Clover-RTTY

They seem to do a lot of things but pactor isn't one of them. ..
http://www.zs2ez.co.za/DOWNLOADS/DXP...s%20Manual.pdf

And you wont be able to use Winlink or Sailmail unless you have Pactor capability so I doubt this unit would be much use to you.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:56   #3

I couldn't resist replying to this. I own two DXP-38 units and they are fantastic, but Only (these days) if you want to use them to communicate reliably with each other. They are ideal if you lend one to a mate or family member. The Clover system I believe is so much better for person-person typing contact because unlike Pactor the system detects who is typing faster than the other and they automatically 'swap' the link, so you have a system that functions as if you are instant messaging both ways with your mate/buddy. I love it. Pactor I always felt more suited for connecting to automatic mailbox systems. Sadly there aren't many Clover mode users out there but I still don't regret buying the second DXP-38 when it became available. I seem to recall the speed is somewhere between Pactor II and III, but certainly faster than you could manually type. HAL provide free (or they used to) windows software (probably for XP) to set-up the link and easily communicate one-to-one.
outlawuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 10:04   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Caroline Joan,
1) The short answer is it will not do what you desire, not at all...

2) Please tell us your application / need for e-mail connectivity when at sea and/or when in remote locales (away from cellular/3G/4G, Wi-Fi, etc.), and we may be able to point you to the more economical approach...

~~~

3) As outlawuk mentions, there are some hams that use lots of various modes for lots of various reasons!!

I would like to correct one thing, though...
Clover's speed / data rate is fairly slow....at best, under perfect conditions it can approach that of PACTOR II....not PACTOR III...
And, under less than ideal conditions it can be quite slow...about that of PACTOR-I...or slower...
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawuk View Post
I seem to recall the speed is somewhere between Pactor II and III, but certainly faster than you could manually type. HAL provide free (or they used to) windows software (probably for XP) to set-up the link and easily communicate one-to-one.
For some details...
Clover

PACTOR

PACTOR II

PACTOR III

~~~~

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modem, pactor