Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-06-2013, 21:59   #1

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53
DSC Set-Up/hook Up on SSB and VHF to NMEA cable

Need a little DSC set up help from an experienced sailor/communicator?

I am wiring the NMEA 0183/2.0 cable from my GPSmap 4208 and my ICOM IC-M502 (VHF) and ICOM IC-M802 (SSB). MMSI is correctly input into both radios. I have followed the "pin-out" guides correctly but:

1. Can I use the same TX A(+)/TX B(-) pair from GPS to both ICOMs or must I use separate pairs?
2. How do I determine that position data is being transmitted the the ICOM (ie...how do I know I have done it right?)
a. On the ICOM IC-802 (SSB)...the DSC Watch screen shows blanks for Lat and Lon? Does the position only transmit on the outbound signal when I key up?
b. On the ICOM IC-502 (VHF) there is no "position" screen I can find in the manual?...Does position also only go out with the transmission when I key up?

Any advice/guidance welcome!

vr...
Steve
Tampa FL
Gulfstar M53

Old 27-06-2013, 05:18   #2
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42
Re: DSC Set-Up/hook Up on SSB and VHF to NMEA cable

Steve,

As a general rule of thumb one NMEA talker (GPS) can feed three listeners (radios). You should be able to wire both radios to the same output on the CPSmap. If you are having troubles try each radio individually. Once one is working then add the other.

To view your current position on your VHF push [DSC/ENT•POS] for 1 sec.

There is a good chance that your GPSmap needs to be configured to send out the correct NMEA sentences for your radios. You should make sure that you are outputting RMC, GCA, GNS or GLL sentences.

Lyndon

Old 27-06-2013, 09:07   #3

Thanks Lyndon - Really appreciate the helpful advice and thanks for reminding me that the NMEA codes strings must often be "input manually" in the GPSmap output setup.

I will verify/work on that tonight and see if the "DSC for 1-sec" reveals a position entry on VHF then move to the SSB. Good to know that 1-pair can support up to 3 devices!

I will post a "success" or "fail" reply tonight ... if the latter - may have to return to Yoda on this one?

Another question perhaps?...I also have a Furuno as a back-up. It was the primary system until the GPSmap 4802 was added with networked Garmin sounder, Garmin WX/SAT (GDL 30A) and the radar module. The Furono was wired into a COMPAQ Presario running the nav planning software (CAPn), Sailmail (Pactor modem) and WX/Grb service (which I now run on a laptop). My question is - can both nav systems be hooked up to the same "sensors" simultaneously (I assume they can?)...so I don't have to switch pairs when I have a primary nav system failure (heaven forbid)?

vr...

Steve
Tampa, FL
Gulfstar M53
Old 27-06-2013, 13:47   #4

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
The M802 reqires a GGA sentence. The M502 is not quite so picky IIRC.
Old 27-06-2013, 21:37   #5

Lyndon,

Partial success - I was able to identify a TX A/TX B signal from the Furuno GPS/WAAS and both the VHF and SSB are receiving position data from the Furuno (the nav back-up system) - so the pin-out diagrams were right (to the radios). I was unable to get signal from the GPSmap 4208 NMEA TX pairs and I checked all data strings were in the "on" position (understanding that any signals not recognized would be ignored by the radios.

Any ideas on how to check for signal output on TX A/TX B ports on the 4208? My assumption is that the unit is not putting data out down the (new) NMEA 1803 cable I have.

vr...
Steve
Tampa FL
Gulfstar M53
Old 28-06-2013, 03:31   #6
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Steve,

Can CAPn show you the NMEA stream it is getting? You may be able to connect the Garmin to your computer to see what sentences are coming out. If CAPn doesn't and you can connect to your computer then you could download OpenCpn and it will let you see the NMEA sentences.

Lyndon
Old 28-06-2013, 04:40   #7

Garmin unit default output is their proprietary format. User needs to change the output from "Garmin" to NMEA standard to talk to non-Garmin units.

From Home screen, select Configure -> Communications -> NMEA 0183 Setup -> Enable -> Port Types -> select "NMEA Std."

This should do it.
Old 28-06-2013, 17:22   #8

Been there - Done that I'm afraid. Ports are on NMEA standard and all strings are active. Could be a bad pin on the NMEA cable - I will do 19-pin continuity check this week to see if the TX A and TX B pairs are dead...I still suspect I have a setting wrong as the cable is brand new out of the box (and yes- correct one for the unit (Garmin 4208). Appreciate the suggestion - any more out there - I am open to new ideas?

vr...

Steve
Tampa FL
Gulfstar M53
Old 28-06-2013, 17:28   #9

Lyndon,

Roger on your suggestion - I will try the CAPn interface next. I am wiring up the 9-pin for the PC next week. I will see if CAPn will detect the GPS signal...if that is a GO...I must have a data ground issue since the VHF works with the Furuno back up system.

Thanks,

vr...

Steve
Tampa FL
Gulfstar M53

Tags
dsc, nmea, ssb, vhf

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: