Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 21:24   #31

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat
Re: DSC Distress Message Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Is there some significance to the use of the word "should" as opposed to "shall" in ITU parlance? This particular recommendation uses mainly "should" to outline requirements with very few "shall"s.
I cannot speak with any sort of authority about the legal difference between should and shall in a recommendation that is published by one organization, and then becomes a federal regulation of the government of the USA when they incorporate it into the code of federal regulations.

I tested a more-than-10-year-old DSC radio. I was not testing to see if it should work or if it shall work. I just tested it to see what would happen when I pushed the DISTRESS button. I described the results.

I suspect that the issue of should versus shall is something that has a much wider scope of applicability than what I was testing for.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distress, dsc