Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2010, 07:42   #16

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
It sounds good. I have looked at the DSC chapter in my radio, but it sounds kinda complicated. When driving through a high traffics area it is faster for me to call each boat on 16 than to look down, scroll through the list of DSC numbers on the AIS
Just checked & it takes three button presses + one turn of the select knob on my ICOM M504 to call up for a buddies position. I can do this in two seconds - you wouldn't have even had time to press the mike button.

If your buddy has his DSC radio set to auto ack the position comes back automatically even if he/she is asleep within two further seconds. How hard or slow is that?

If you are looking at your AIS list to get an MMSI number you already know their position, although I guess you may want to call them. Future combined DSC/AIS radio's will probably offer a direct option to do this.

I agree the manual instructions on DSC are daunting given that so many functions are available & need to be described, but once you have memorized the relevant stuff its so easy.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 08:03   #17
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
I was talking about class B AIS which transmits at 2w, while DSC is at 25w. Class A is a different story. There would be little difference in range between AIS at 12.5w and DSC at 25w.

Eric
Ok that was what I was trying to get at. Why there is a difference.

However

25w equates to 2x the amperage draw

if you are counting amps and charging
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 08:42   #18

Boat: a sailing boat
I am afraid calling @16 and calling a DSC is not the same league. How do you know the ship called up @16 will respond?

When you use DSC their phone will beep and their black box will record your call, as a minimum.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 17:39   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
One of the nice features of DSC is, if you know the other boats MMSI, to send private messages.
No you cant, the voice is still conventional. Also buddy polling is not a GMDSS DSC specification and isnt present on a lot of radios.

However DSC calling works well this side of the puddle. My coastguard regulary triggers my DSC alarm with gale warnings. ( also I test my DSC making a routine DSC call to them).

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 17:55   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Also buddy polling is not a GMDSS DSC specification and isnt present on a lot of radios.
Dave
So which marine VHF/DSC transceivers don't have the ability to call other vessels by DSC for the purpose of alerting them in order to make voice contact or sending/receiving position?

If in doubt RTFM
Old 21-10-2010, 18:40   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
All DSC can be used to make DSC Routine Calls and hence you can talk to your buddy and "ask him " his position. But position polling is not a GMDSS DSC requirement. ( its in a lot of radios though), just saying its not a standard function of DSC,.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 18:49   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
...just saying its not a standard function of DSC,.
Dave
To what end???

If in doubt RTFM
Old 22-10-2010, 05:29   #23

Position polling is a pretty well established standard in class D radio's although it is not a requirement. Some SC101 radio's do not have this feature but some do. SC101 has been replaced by the class D standard and SC101 equipment will be banned for sale in the US after March of next year. I don't know of any class D VHF that doesn't have it but there are a lot of cheap radio's out there so I guess it is entirely possible.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 10:25   #24

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Just checked & it takes three button presses + one turn of the select knob on my ICOM M504 to call up for a buddies position. I can do this in two seconds - you wouldn't have even had time to press the mike button.

Three button presses to call a "buddy" that you already have the DSC number for. It takes a minimum of 8 presses to enter a new unknown DSC number for the ship that just came around the corner.

Maybe with practice??
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 11:45   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Three button presses to call a "buddy" that you already have the DSC number for. It takes a minimum of 8 presses to enter a new unknown DSC number for the ship that just came around the corner.

Maybe with practice??
Isn't it reasonable to assume that if sailing in convoy with one or more buddies, you have already exchanged MMSI numbers & entered them on your radio in advance? Remember you only have to do this once for each.

Yes I agree its a waste of time entering the MMSI number of an unknown vessel on the fly - but why would you want to?

If you got their MMSI number from AIS you already know where they are.

Just voice call them on Ch 16 if there is a need.

If in doubt RTFM

Tags
distress, dsc