Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2012, 20:09   #16

Re: Dragging anchor alarm on handheld GPS

Anchor Alarm Project

Might be of interest. Mike.
Florida Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 20:53   #17

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

How do you guys set the alarm on your Garmins? I have a Etrex Venture HC that I keep in the dinghy. I just pulled it out to check about using that as an alarm instead of my Iphone or Android, but can't figure out how to set the anchor alarm.
Old 23-10-2012, 06:14   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Dragging at anchor is like running aground- if you haven't done it, boat some more, sooner or later you will.
I agree. That's why I'm very happy that my anchor drug early on, and in a situation where the results were pretty benign. I learned my lesson and haven't drug since.

Of course, I still expect the anchor to drag pretty much every time that I drop it--that keeps me vigilant. Anchor alarms are okay as a backup, but if you think that means that you don't have to worry about anything, because the anchor alarm is watching out for you, then you are a draggin' waiting to happen!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 06:20   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
If you would have read the post you'd have noted I said "been there done that", what part of that did you fail to understand?
No need for banging your head. Sorry, but you really weren't quite as clear as you thought you were.

When you said "been there done that" I thought you were talking about being out there cruising and anchoring for 22 years. And, yes, like RebelHeart I thought you were saying in all of that time "being" and "doing" that you had never had your anchor drag.

Just a little internet miscommunication. It happens. No harm done.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 06:43   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Welcome to the forum Hidaway34

I anchor over 300 days a year and always use an anchor alarm.

Sooner or later it will earn its keep.
H/H GPS units are not ideal as the alarm is often not loud and you really want an external aerial with a good view of the sky.

Normally the ideal anchor alarm is set with the centre of circle over the anchor. If you set the alarm as you drop it will close but as the GPS unit is 20 to 30 feet from the bow a unit that allows you to displace the centre of alarm radius, and set the anchor alarm from a waypoint is better. This type of alarm can be activated after the anchor has been set, but can still be centered on the anchor.

Using this system an alarm can be set that will give you no false alarms, but will alert you with a small amount of drag.

Great insurance. A well set anchor alarm is a powerful safety tool.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 06:58   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
How do you guys set the alarm on your Garmins? I have a Etrex Venture HC that I keep in the dinghy. I just pulled it out to check about using that as an alarm instead of my Iphone or Android, but can't figure out how to set the anchor alarm.

See page 42 of your owners manual
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 07:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
See page 42 of your owners manual
For once I actual used the owner's manual Unfortunately, the owners manual only shows how to activate the ability to set an alarm. It doesn't say how to set the actual point of where the anchor is. I can set 150ft and turn the little check box on, but it doesn't seem to put a way point down or any reference point.
Old 23-10-2012, 07:40   #23

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
For once I actual used the owner's manual Unfortunately, the owners manual only shows how to activate the ability to set an alarm. It doesn't say how to set the actual point of where the anchor is. I can set 150ft and turn the little check box on, but it doesn't seem to put a way point down or any reference point.
All you're doing is setting a radius from where you are when you set the alarm. If you move more than 150' from where you set the alarm it'll sound.

As said above, you can stand on the bow with the GPS and set the alarm when you the anchor hit the bottom and use the total scope as your swing radius, or do like I do and set the alarm after the anchor is dug in and set an alarm that will allow the boat to swing inside of the circle and sound on a wind/tide shift.

Experiment with it in a grassy field with a piece of line. tie the line off to an anchor point, set the alarm and walk away with the line. once you're outside of the set radius the alarm will go off. Turn off the alarm, turn it back on again and walk in a circle pulling on the line. Now you'll see the alarm work to allow swing, but not drag or reversal.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 08:08   #24

Good info provided by Evan... Another option, depending on the bottom, is to use the anchor alarm contained in most depth measuring instruments.. Mine can alarm going either way shallower or deeper... With our GPS alarm we must take into consideration a 180 wind shift which we get just about every night.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 08:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey

All you're doing is setting a radius from where you are when you set the alarm. If you move more than 150' from where you set the alarm it'll sound.

As said above, you can stand on the bow with the GPS and set the alarm when you the anchor hit the bottom and use the total scope as your swing radius, or do like I do and set the alarm after the anchor is dug in and set an alarm that will allow the boat to swing inside of the circle and sound on a wind/tide shift.

Experiment with it in a grassy field with a piece of line. tie the line off to an anchor point, set the alarm and walk away with the line. once you're outside of the set radius the alarm will go off. Turn off the alarm, turn it back on again and walk in a circle pulling on the line. Now you'll see the alarm work to allow swing, but not drag or reversal.
You're right. I was expecting to see some marker on the chart showing where I set the anchor. I set the distance to 10 feet and then walked around the boat. Sure enough, the alarm went off. I'm used to the anchor alarms I have on my phones, but this works better (more accurate GPS). Thanks for the push in the right direction!
Old 23-10-2012, 08:28   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Good info provided by Evan... Another option, depending on the bottom, is to use the anchor alarm contained in most depth measuring instruments.. Mine can alarm going either way shallower or deeper... With our GPS alarm we must take into consideration a 180 wind shift which we get just about every night.
If the anchor alarm is set over the anchor the wind shifts will not set off the alarm. It can be set this way, but still be sensitive to even a small distance outside the swinging circle.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 08:41   #27
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
I never used the anchor alarm - personal choice.

I didn't want the safety of my boat dependent on something electronic. I prefered to anchor in such a manner that the boat wouldn't drag.
Sometimes I prefer to do both. You are allowed to, and the real world doesn't always do what you told it to.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 08:58   #28

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
In the 22 years of sailing including 9 years cruising, I've been there and done that. Sorry to intrude with actual experience.
Hope you mean you have dragged anchor and not also had the misfortune of running aground badly?
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 17:03   #29

I don't have a massive edsonintl manual bilge pump because I think I'll need it, ditto for smoke and CO. But for the cost and protection, especially since most every marine GPS has the functionality I don't get why anyone would skip out on that.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 21:48   #30

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Hope you mean you have dragged anchor and not also had the misfortune of running aground badly?
I've ran aground a few times, drug into the surf line of a beach while I was ashore, had another boat drag mine into some rocks, had a micro-burst take my main sail off the mast, had a water spout come within 30 feet, and had a small frieghter deliberatly ram a hole in the side of my boat, and had the captain of a 150 foot motor yacht take my bowsprit off while he was playing witn his plotter/gps/autopiolt at 10 knots.

Other than that, I enjoyed the whole cruising thing.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, anchor, gps