Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 10:29   #1

Boat: Outremer 5X
Dolby Digital in the Saloon...

I've read a bunch of previous threads on CF on this topic, but am still struggling to find a solution to my question, hence I thought I'd ask if anyone here has done anything similar.

I'm specifying a configuration for a catamaran (Outremer) that I have under construction, and I'm not getting very far to the complete answer to my requirements with the electronics firm (Pochon) I'm dealing with thus far in that they're sticking resolutely to a simple BOSE based single special speaker type config + a car hifi w/ multiple speakers playing stereo.

My aim is a 5.1 dolby digital system in the saloon for movies, plus 4 speaker stereo in the cockpit for music.

I will have a Mac as my source for all music and movies - so as to avoid having the disks on board, my library is already scanned onto a large HD. I have a Samsung LED monitor specified that is slim and low power consumption, and slides out of a cabinet so it is hidden away under sail. I can specify a variety of speakers, but would probably like to use B&W custom speakers inside the saloon (since they are designed for high humidity environments already) and marine speakers outside. Similarly I can specify 2 12V/24V car/marine amplifiers a 5 channel to do the saloon and a 4 channel to handle music played outside in the cockpit.

The bit I'm missing is a Dolby digital/DTS processor to take a HDMI or an optical or a co-ax digital signal to process the surround sound.

I don't really have the space to fit a regular home audio receiver and don't need all the bells and whistles that come with one either.

I have to imagine there might be a car audio product that might do something like this, but I haven't found one. There seem to be in dash dvd players but they don't seem to offer an external digital input as far as I can tell. Obviously a 12V based solution would be better as I can then run the audio side both in the saloon and the cockpit without running the inverter. I'd consider a simple small form factor amp/processor in a box as the driver if that's a good fit, but it would need to work on 220V if its not 12V/24V as the boat is specified to be 24V/220V.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!
dan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:47   #2

Boat: Moody 42
Re: Dolby Digital in the Saloon...

Pioneer makes one
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:59   #3

Thanks! - I found the DEQ-P8000 which seems like it might do the trick, now on the phone to Pioneer to work out whether it will work as it seems to have some slightly proprietary inputs which take feeds from the Pioneer DVD head units. It mentions optical so that might work.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:32   #4

Boat: Moody 42

Hope it works out. Since moving on my boat, I miss my Linn LP12 and my Maggies.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 13:05   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

What I would give to have your problems. My list of boat projects - repairs, improvements, upgrades -- is so long that improving the sound system according to its ranking would be scheduled for around the year 2050. . .

We watch a lot of movies on board -- it's the favored mode of entertainment in the evenings at anchor. I pondered a built-in system for a long time, lusted after some form of 5.1 speakers, but eventually went with a simple, cheap domestic, region-free DVD player (Pioneer), a cheap flat screen television (Samsung), connect them up with HDMI and run them off the inverter with an extension cord, after breaking them out of the locker and setting them up on the salon table. The sound coming out of the Samsung TV is pretty weak, but no one has complained so far . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 15:54   #6

Turns out that the pioneer doesn't solve the problem, discontinued.

This device looks pretty cool and also takes 24V DC as its power supply. Gefen TV - 4x1 HD Switcher w/ Audio Decoding

:-)