Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 02:29   #31

Boat: Hanse 385
Re: Does anyone have an Iridium Go yet?

Just updating this thread.. I see the Go's are now in stock in the Uk for £499. With a 600min airtime plan which lasts 360 days I can have a very solid off-shore solution for £1100 all in which sounds pretty darn good to me.

I do still have some questions that I'm finding hard to get answers to however so if anyone has one of these now please let me know how you're finding it.

1. How do calls works? I get that you use your iPhone via wifi- so sort of like Skype. This makes sense for outgoing calls but what about incoming? Does the GO box alert you to an incoming call so you can connect your iPhone to the wifi?

2. In terms of email compression it looks like the GO comes with apps that handle this. So xGate, etc wouldn't be needed as far as I can tell I just use their app to send and receive email, simple.

3. Gribs are something I'm going to need but I'm unsure how this works with iPads / iPhones. How do you get your grib into such apps I use on the iPad for gribs which download them directly?

www.sailing-interlude.com
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:57   #32
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Weather4d is a good app that works well with iridium. I would assume it will work well with go but it might be worth emailing them to check.
I think go will have inbuilt compression like the axcess point so no compression service required. It's new technology so I guess buyers of go will be guinni pigs for a while. It might be worth buying one locally so the agent can set it up for you, probably money well spent.
So long as you can send and receive emails you can request gribs via email from sail docs and have them sent to your inbox, then open them with most grib viewers. Free service.
Search weather4d on here. Rolf gave a good review of it. Also the web site has good tutorials.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:19   #33

The problem with this though is how smart phones work. I understand I can get a grib emailed to me but not sure how I get that into the app. Maybe weather4D supports this, I'll check.

Most weather apps like to download the gribs from within their own app. Not sure the GO will support this.

You also bring up a good point regarding the GO being used with a normal laptop. Does it allow this, or is the GO just for smartphones? No sure if there are GO apps for laptops is what I'm saying.

So many questions! But I still think this unit is the way to go for me so I'll be buying one soon. I'll report back how I get on.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:49   #34
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Try email a grib to yourself and open it on the phone. From memory when you click the file attached it asks which app you want to use to open it such as pocket grib.
Yes the problem with smartphones and iPads is getting the data onto a PC. I like apple for a lot of things but transferring to windows can be a pain. The iridium access point comes with software for PC, with email program which is what's needed to firewall unwanted program's from accessing the network. Hopefully the go can use the same software and create a wireless network to access from the PC
Old 07-09-2014, 00:27   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
So long as you can send and receive emails you can request gribs via email from sail docs and have them sent to your inbox, then open them with most grib viewers. Free service.
Can you describe how yours Email system is set-up?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 00:40   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
You also bring up a good point regarding the GO being used with a normal laptop. Does it allow this, or is the GO just for smartphones? No sure if there are GO apps for laptops is what I'm saying.
If you intend to use a normal laptop then you do not require a Go, Just an USB cable between the 9555 and the laptop will suffice.

Also what size screen are you intending to use for reading your Grib?
Old 07-09-2014, 01:31   #37
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chala, the go essentially replaces the need for a sat phone, it's stand alone.
We have the 9555 which connects to the iridium wireless access point which we can then acces with iPad or windows PC. The windows PC runs the iridium mail program that comes with the access point. It has built in compression so no subscription to xgate is required. We did attempt to just use the USB direct to the PC but without an xgate type subscription it's futile.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:59   #38

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

If my scratch pad math is correct:

To put the $135 per month ($1620 year minimum) into perspective, the maximum amount of data you could sent or received in a year (2400 baud 24/365) is about 19 gigabytes. However, the data is much much more expensive since you won't be using that connection 24/7.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:47   #39

Quote:
It has email and browser software (downloaded) and a username@myiridium.net email account (which is only accessible via iridium, i.e. you cant log into the email account via standard internet.
I see there is limitation and may be some advantage.

Quote:
Probably because of all the programs on my computer trying to access the connection.
I have a dedicated laptop for Iridium connection with not much in it, to save time it is also good to turn off the antivirus software.
Old 08-09-2014, 00:34   #40

Going to be viewing the Gribs on my iPad as I have always done.

Reason I like the look of the go is I can charge everything via USB as well. No power hungry laptop needed.

Please visit my blog:

Old 08-09-2014, 19:06   #41

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
Going to be viewing the Gribs on my iPad as I have always done.

Reason I like the look of the go is I can charge everything via USB as well. No power hungry laptop needed.

Please visit my blog:
Sailing-Interlude | Sailing the Med… and beyond
I agree with that sentiment... I'm tired of incompatible chargers.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:52   #42

Boat: O'Day 40

This ad from PredictWind makes it sound pretty good to me but I'm a complete novice. What are the negatives? Is it really going to be $135/mo for unlimited messaging or is there another airtime charge?

Iridium GO! - PredictWind.com
Old 11-09-2014, 10:58   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
This ad from PredictWind makes it sound pretty good to me but I'm a complete novice. What are the negatives? Is it really going to be $135/mo for unlimited messaging or is there another airtime charge?

Iridium GO! - PredictWind.com
Until predictwind makes an app compatible with the GO API their service is virtually useless with the GO. AFAIK they want you to be able to open their website, which is not slow connection friendly in the least.
N3VR L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 17:10   #44

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
TThe iridium access point comes with software for PC, with email program which is what's needed to firewall unwanted program's from accessing the network. Hopefully the go can use the same software and create a wireless network to access from the PC
From the manual it appears it can. A regular PC would connect as though the GO is a normal WiFi router to the internet, albeit a very slow one. You would do email as normal over it.

It seems to me you'd still want something like XGate or UUPlus and an IMAP email service exactly as you would with a normal Iridium phone. For example, PredictWind will email you gribs, but you'd still need something for compression and a proper filtering email service in between. Ocens is probably the most complete package still, using XGate and their email service. But you could also use SailMail and get the same thing as you have with a regular Iridium phone.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 18:37   #45

Boat: kelly peterson 44

I think its a great option for a base because you can link up to 5 phones to it like a job site in a very rural area but for me the the isatphone pro is what is use with xgate
mpatter894 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iridium