Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do you plot,or not?
Always 8 88.89%
Sometimes 1 11.11%
Never 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2003, 04:47   #1

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Do you plot,or not?

Hi everyone,

GordMay had some very good comments on this subject. I particularly like the "post it" arrow idea. It sounds like he, and I are both "old school" when it comes to the conviction of plotting eveything. I know there are some sailors,and powerboaters that no longer believe these steps are necessary. Not long ago, I had sailed my 26 footer on a return trip from N.Bimini,to Ft.Lauderdale. It had been a long,but pleasant 9+ hour trip.The following morning of my return, I was asked to move my boat because the yard was getting ready to put a 30 foot cigarette boat in the water.A large forklift came out of the huge boat storage shed with a sleek craft between it's forks. In short time, the boat was in the water, and the owner was aboard. I noticed him opening the box of a brand new Magellon GPS. While he was becoming familiar with the features on it, I was talking with his girlfriend under a shaded picnic table canopy (it seemed like the sailorly thing to do ), She told me that her boyfriend was going to take her and some friends over to Bimini for the day. He estimated that they would be there in a little over an hour! They were planning on returning that evening! Now for a sailor, that was a little impressive, considering I had spent the good part of a day sailing the trip.Anyway, I know that there are others that follow the "navigation in a box" approach now a days. So, I ask the question.Do you plot,or not?
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2003, 09:09   #2

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
When I was first learning to fly I got a really cool electronic flight plotter. It figured out everything I needed to know to make a cross country flight. It did time, speed, distance, fuel consumption, cross wind corrections, everything.

When I went on a check ride the F.A.A. examiner feigned interest in my really neat gadget. I was proud and explained all the wonderful features to him. While inspecting it he looked at me and said, 'Gee, too bad the batteries are dead'. Now plan it out the 'Old way' because this stuff has a habit of failing when you need it most.

I use my GPS and moving maps for backup to my calculations on a real chart, the one that needs no batteries.....
Old 15-10-2003, 17:56   #3

Always

I'm rarely on an area of the river that I don't know as well as my own office, even so I always have charts handy (along with color copies for the many that clearly need them but don't have them) & occasionally use them myself. When I do extend my range beyond my own waters I study charts ahead & plot my position continuously.

As with lannen, I developed this habit from flying. IMOLTHO, gee-whiz nav aids should never substitute for or even encroach upon basic pilotage. What's more, for me at least, navigation is at least half the fun of getting there. Much like computers that will do everything but pour coffee down your throat while you work, GPS & GPS driven autopilots can take the fun out of it (until it fails you, then you're maybe in for more fun than required).

These devices have their uses but should never reduce the P.I.C. to the status of a passenger. Any wise pilot/sailor will understand the value of maintaining proficiency with basic & necessary skills.

My own prejudice perhaps, but I've noticed over the years that devices like turn-key plug 'n play computers & no brainer nav aids tend to open areas of endeavor to those that have no interest in endeavoring. This, also my own less than humble opinion, is not good ... not good at all.

Troubledour
Troubledour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2003, 09:19   #4

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Hi Mr.T and all,

I agree with you on your appreciation of navigation. I really enjoy working up my courses and plotting them out.I must confess though that I really enjoy my GPS chartplotter too. I have it mounted at my wheel and it's really nice to be able to look at the boats track, along with the many other features it offers. Gizmos are Gizmos though, and I know not to rely on them too heavily.My wife thought I went overboard when I mounted a flat plasma screen tv on the overhead of my stern quarterberth, along with a portable DVD player. I had to have a way though, to watch "Treasure Island"- Original Walt Disney version , on some boring,rainy night
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2003, 10:04   #5

Toys

Ohh, I'm not dissing toys, I love toys & the best of them are far more than mere toys. I just don't think it's wise to allow fallible technology to replace reliable skills & reason.

Having said that I'll scoot back over to the workstation, a dual proc PIII Xeon with all the goodies, including dual monitors (great for CAD work & indispensable for watching movies while working) & get back to it (time for a fresh winamp play-list anyway ... hmm, Apocalyptica maybe ...)

Troubledour
Troubledour is offline   Reply With Quote