Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2017, 09:11   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: DIY MMSI (re)programming

Any ideas for SH radios?

BTW A friend here with a Matsutec AIS says his unit takes new mmsi numbers without any reprogramming.

Good thread. Keep it alive.

Cheers,
b
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:16   #17

Boat: Destroyed AMEL SUPER MARAMU
Standard Horizon MMSI (re)programming

My new boat changed flag and owner. The Standard Horizon 2100 VHF radio of my sailboat has the MMSI that had the old owner. To change the number the factory asks me to send it from St Martin (Netherland Antilles) to California because on the island there are no authorized technicians to change the MMSI. The freight cost round trip will be half the value of the radio. Anyone have experience in this topic?
Old 07-07-2017, 12:51   #18

Boat: J/42

I recently sent my old Standard Horizon radio to the service center for reprogramming, prior to selling it. They charge $15 plus shipping - about $50 total. It took them about three months to do it. If you have a local dealer with the proper software, by all means have it done there.

That said, there are bootleg copies of the dealer software for various radios floating around on Ebay. (More than $15.) Obviously this approach can be kind of sketchy. I recently acquired a copy for the M802 - but it turns out that I don't have the right computer to run it. Also, for many radios, reprogramming is done through a serial port hidden inside the headphone jack - a special cable needs to be purchased or made up. There is greater incentive to try this for something like the M802 because not only can you change MMSI and speech compression settings, but it's much easier to reprogram the 160 user channels that way.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 23:59   #19

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL

I'm a little new to this, but, when a boat gets sold, changes country / location, why does the mmsi , the ais , and the vhf call sign all linked to that vessel, need changing?
I recently bought a Canadian registered, with mmsi, ais and dsc vhf, all linked to Canada, but, now in Australia, and now registered as an Australian owned vessel, but have not bothered to change the Canadian linked mmsi/ais/dsc vhf, due to the inane complexity.
( have asked this on the rather old "changing mmsi" thread, that i searched and found!)
Will I be sent to jail?
Old 06-08-2017, 01:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
I'm a little new to this, but, when a boat gets sold, changes country / location, why does the mmsi , the ais , and the vhf call sign all linked to that vessel, need changing?
I recently bought a Canadian registered, with mmsi, ais and dsc vhf, all linked to Canada, but, now in Australia, and now registered as an Australian owned vessel, but have not bothered to change the Canadian linked mmsi/ais/dsc vhf, due to the inane complexity.
( have asked this on the rather old "changing mmsi" thread, that i searched and found!)
Will I be sent to jail?
Yes.....The the old MMSI will be registered to the previous owner containing all there details, you now need an MMSI issued to you with your information contained, and any equipment that is capable of transmitting your MMSI will need updating, do you have an AMSA registered EPIRB?

Don't think you will go to jail, but you might cop a hefty fine if you don't change it...

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:15   #21

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Some countries do allow the MMSI to stay with the boat with change of ownership. The construction of a MMSI does include digits that reflect the country of registration so if you change flags you need a new MMSI.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:30   #22

Boat: Salona 40

FURUNO FM 2721 Change of System Setting

1) Short-circuit between #10 and #22 of the port [REMOTE 2].
(You have to look very closely, then you'll find the tiny numbers)
(Count (female plug) starts at the upper line of pins (the longer one) on the right side.)
2) Turn on the power, and press [Setup] key, then Setup menu appears.
3) Choose “System” by the cursor key, and press [Enter] key, then System menu, with “Protect” added, appears.
4) Choose “Protect” by the cursor key, enter password: 652111, choose “OFF”, and press [Enter] key, then [Protect OFF] is set, and all items on system menu are allowed for setting now.
5) Choose a setting item by the cursor key, and press [Enter] key, then setting values of the item appear. Choose a setting value by the cursor key and press [Enter] key. To enter a numeric value such as MMSI input, use numeric keys, and press [Enter] key.
6) When setting is finished, turn off the power to recover normal operation.
fonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:33   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Thanks for that.
I have done this previously on the FM2721, but had forgotten which two pins had to be bridged on the Remote 2 port.

Much appreciate the information
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:47   #24

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Will I be sent to jail?
IslandHopper and Auspiscious already partly answered your question. The first 3 digits show the country code (see also post #13 in this thread). When in Oz, you may be able to get away not to change the MMSI on your radios and AIS, if the previous owner is able to transfer the contacts details to you....... but that does not make really much sense, because you likely need a new EPIRB, sooner or later, and then you would have an Oz number for that and a Canadian MMSI number on the other gear. Worst case scenario is that your contact details are NOT listed in the Canadian registry, and that scenario is the most likely one.

If there were to be emergency this would get very confusing for the rescue authorities. No you would not go to jail, worst case, and likely, scenario your rescue would be delayed.

I had the same situation with an overseas boat. I was able to change the MMSI on the 2 radios myself. The AIS was changed via computer by allowing the manufacturer remote access for 10 minutes (cost $35, paid via Paypal), and the 2 EPIRBs were fitted with 2 new batteries and at the same time the agent was able to change the MMSI number to my Australia number (cost.... cannot remember that one).
If you need more detailed info let me know.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:01   #25
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
When in Oz, you may be able to get away not to change the MMSI on your radios and AIS, if the previous owner is able to transfer the contacts details to you....... but that does not make really much sense, because you likely need a new EPIRB, sooner or later, and then you would have an Oz number for that and a Canadian MMSI number on the other gear. Worst case scenario is that your contact details are NOT listed in the Canadian registry, and that scenario is the most likely one.

If there were to be emergency this would get very confusing for the rescue authorities. No you would not go to jail, worst case, and likely, scenario your rescue would be delayed.

FWIW, an MMSI number is not required for an EPIRB on a recreational boat in Australia.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:24   #26

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
FWIW, an MMSI number is not required for an EPIRB on a recreational boat in Australia.
You might be right in that, although I was under the impression that it was mandatory with the 406 beacons.
Hmmm, need to so some checking.

On checking the AMSA website here: Using your beacon - Beacons
and here: http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/documents/BeaconsFlyer.pdf
and here:Registration information - Beacons
Indeed in the first two links it is not clear that registration of EPRIB is mandatory.
In the last link (FAQ), the answer to the third question is clear: a fine can/will be issued if the EPIRB is not registered.

Therefore it seems to me that registration of EPIRB is mandatory (in Australia). I cannot see a distinction between commercial and recreational vessels.

Hmmm, unless MMSI and EPIRB registration are two different things. I am still under the impression that when one registers an EPRIB, an MMSI is allocated by AMSA. Although I cannot find a confirmation of that on their website.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:28   #27

Quote:
You might be right in that, although I was under the impression that it was mandatory with the 406 beacons.
Hmmm, need to so some checking.

On checking the AMSA website here: Using your beacon - Beacons
and here: http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/documents/BeaconsFlyer.pdf
and here:Registration information - Beacons
Indeed in the first two links it is not clear that registration of EPRIB is mandatory.
In the last link (FAQ), the answer to the third question is clear: a fine can/will be issued if the EPIRB is not registered.

Therefore it seems to me that registration of EPIRB is mandatory (in Australia). I cannot see a distinction between commercial and recreational vessels
Yes, it must be registered but you don't need an MMSI to register an EPIRB in Australia for a recreational boat. I don't know what is required for a commercial vessel.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 06-08-2017, 06:38   #28

Quote:

Hmmm, unless MMSI and EPIRB registration are two different things. I am still under the impression that when one registers an EPRIB, an MMSI is allocated by AMSA. Although I cannot find a confirmation of that on their website.
Yes they are two different things. You have to apply separately for an MMSI and FWIW, I would advise not getting your EPIRB programmed with the MMSI.

If your EPIRB is registered without an MMSI programmed into (i.e. just using it's hex ID number), then you can change and update the details etc on the EPIRB register yourself (user name / password protected etc). If it tied to an MMSI number, you have to apply to AMSA to make changes.

Note, this only applies to Aussie registrations.
Old 06-08-2017, 15:30   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yes they are two different things. You have to apply separately for an MMSI and FWIW, I would advise not getting your EPIRB programmed with the MMSI.

If your EPIRB is registered without an MMSI programmed into (i.e. just using it's hex ID number), then you can change and update the details etc on the EPIRB register yourself (user name / password protected etc). If it tied to an MMSI number, you have to apply to AMSA to make changes.

Note, this only applies to Aussie registrations.
What you say is correct, if all you have is the EPIRB....

However, if you have any DSC equipment and/or Class A or B AIS then you have to have an MMSI number, when you register your EPIRB you have to list any equipment that requires an MMSI....

Registration information - Beacons

Quote:
In order to complete an online emergency beacon registration you will need the following information:
  • Name, address and phone number
  • An email address to create an online account
  • Beacon Hex ID/UIN
  • Beacon Serial Number
  • Beacon Manufacturer
  • Beacon Model
  • Name and phone numbers of at least one person who can act as a 24-hour emergency contact
  • Name of the business or person who supplied the beacon to you
  • The purpose for which you’ll most likely be using the beacon, for example: vessel, aircraft, vehicle, hiking etc.
  • If you would like to register a vessel, aircraft, or vehicle you will need to supply some descriptive or registration details about it (you can also upload photos of these vessel, vehicle or aircraft to help with search and rescue purposes should it be needed in future)
  • If you have any radio equipment that requires an MMSI number you will need to supply the make/model and serial number
Having said that, you are correct about not been able to change your details online if you have an MMSI linked to your EPIRB, but the same goes for your MMSI linked to your DSC/A or B AIS, so it would be pointless not to have your EPIRB linked to your MMSI because you will still have to contact AMSA to change your details for your Radio/AIS equipment....

Anyhow, when I went to register my EPIRB I declared my HF/MF DSC, VHF DSC and Class B AIS equipment (which legally you are required to do, see pdf link below) so had to also apply for an MMSI which was then automatically linked to my EPIRB registration, there is/was no choice in the matter...

http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/documents...nsBrochure.pdf

Yes, if all you have is an EPIRB and you want the ability to change your details online yourself then by all means don't link to an MMSI, but if you have other equipment that legally requires an MMSI, your EPIRB will be linked to it, if you declare said equipment that is...

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 15:30   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

Yes, EPIRB and MMSI are two different things, NO they don' issue an MMSI for an EPIRB. AN MMSI is a totally different thing.

My EPIRB is still registered with AMSA - it was almost new when I bought Alize and we just transferred the rego - even though we took her off the Australia Ships Register and she is now under PNG Registration. No MMSI number.

The EPIRB Registration was due for renewal at the beginning of this year. This is what I got back when I re-registered.

"Dear beacon owner,AMSA has received your beacon registration form. We note that you are using a non-Australian residential address and you have bought a beacon programmed with the Australian identification code. AMSA recommends your beacon should be reprogrammed with the identification code of the country you reside in or your vessel/aircraft is registered in. Register your beacon with the national Search and Rescue authority. Contact details for your national search and rescue authority are available at www.cospas-sarsat.int.
Please let us know if the beacon has been reprogrammed and registered in another country."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass