Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-11-2015, 17:18   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Difference between B&G Zeus Touch and Zeus2?

I do not have a nav chip, and obviously don't know what I'm doing, that's plain

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 03-11-2015, 17:45   #32

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Don't use the built-in base map! You must buy an SD card with normal charts. They sell the plotter as if charts are included, but it's really just a base map.

If you do have the chip, but you're only seeing the base map, then do this:

Menu>Chart Options>Change to Navionics [toggles with "Change to Insight"]
I think this is one area that B&G could do better. There are actually some SKUs that do indeed include a C-MAP Chip (C-MAP MAX-N BDS). I think its very confusing to customers as they see one SKU for $1399 and another for $1199 and just buy the cheaper one, cause its cheaper. Where the $1399 SKU is actually a better "value" since it includes a chart card of all North America ($300-$400 if bought separately).

I asked myself why B&G would even have the cheaper SKU. Its cause there are people (like you Dockhead) who want more than one MFD and don't need to pay for 2 chart cards.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:58   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK, easily remedied.

Step 1, acquire some cartography. I have used Navionics Gold as well as Navionics Platinum. The Platinum doesn't have anything which for me personally is worth the premium. You can also do C-Map if you like that better. For U.S. waters, where the raw cartographic data is free, there may be other choices.

If you go Navionics, be sure to download and install on the chip the high resolution bathymetric data. Forgot what they call it. Sonar Charts or something like that. They have crowd-sourced depth data which is really handy in skinny water.

Step 2, get into menus and play with all the functions.

You'll soon be well up to speed!
Old 04-11-2015, 02:00   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I think this is one area that B&G could do better. There are actually some SKUs that do indeed include a C-MAP Chip (C-MAP MAX-N BDS). I think its very confusing to customers as they see one SKU for $1399 and another for $1199 and just buy the cheaper one, cause its cheaper. Where the $1399 SKU is actually a better "value" since it includes a chart card of all North America ($300-$400 if bought separately).

I asked myself why B&G would even have the cheaper SKU. Its cause there are people (like you Dockhead) who want more than one MFD and don't need to pay for 2 chart cards.
Well, they advertise "North American cartography included!"for all of them. Which is bullocks and false advertising. The Navionics Silver charts which are embedded are unsuitable for navigation. I'm sure that A64 was deceived by this.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:00   #35

Boat: 2002 Seawind 1000 (33 ft) Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Really? I have never seen this. I have seen many other manufacturers monitoring the forum and providing assistance (Rocna, Spade, Jeppesen, Standard Horizon, Vesper - just to name a few), but never Simrad/B&G.

Mark
Yeah, there is one. He won't identify himself as such, but he has come on to announce updates to software and fixes on two of the threads in the past. Very few postings, as per his/her count. And although I have engaged both of them via the phone and email regarding promised DSC call feature that integrated with Icom, and didn't, they won't respond to my inquiries when I catch them on a thread. Just ignore me.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:07   #36

Thanks for the help, Dockhead. I will try that when next on the boat. Re SailSteer, did you have to do anything special to get it to work properly. The angles on mine all look wrong. That said, I have spent more time motoring than sailing, and I expect that would really throw it for a loop.

A64, I have the new C-Map chart for the Gulf of Mexico and Carribean. It is pretty good. Sometimes the bottom bathymetry gets to be a bit too detailed - showing their representation of rows of sand bars in shaded colors - but you can turn that off quickly in the few places it is problematic. Actually, the only place I have found real problem with that is entering the jetty and right inside the bay there at Pensacola. The 2015 version chart they just released even has some overhead photos of marinas, which I found helpful when entering Palafox marina last month.

Regarding chart overlay, I purchased the combination GPS/compass that was around $200. Not the gyro compass that is over twice that. It seems to work well for the overlay, plus I needed the external GPS because my plotter sits under a fiberglass hard top. Dockhead helped me with decisions on a lot of this in the process, he having forged the trail ahead. Big thanks to him.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:09   #37

Quote:
You really need to get a map chip. I found the base map to be completely worthless, especially in areas with shallow water. There is much more detail with the chip.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:19   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK,
With Garmin it was easy to find the chips, forgot the name but it even had sat photos for marina's etc.

The charts for the B&G, is this a download thing, of buy a physical card?
Anybody got a good link for a good price for US and Bahamas charts?
Is it just Navionics Gold, as in that card will work in anybody's plotter or is it a specific card / software for B&G?

Link or name of a good supplier if possible.

I and my kid has been all through the menu's and just can't get any kind of useful data for routing, I had assumed you had to have all the "stuff" for an autopilot to get that to work. It seems B&G is good about having to have all kinds of extra "boxes" for stuff to work
Old 04-11-2015, 05:37   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Geezus, just doing a quick search and this Navionics Platinum chart thing is a money maker, to get most of the GOM and Bahamas is two cards, total cost over $700?
Gold all of US and Northern Bahamas is $160 or so

Looking at the chart options reminds me of my old Raymarine plotter, I guess that was probably Navionics as well
Old 04-11-2015, 05:47   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If you want Bahamas charts, get CMap, not Navionics. CMap contains all the Explorer charts. There is a Navionics representative on this forum who claims Navionics is superior to Explorer in the Bahamas, but as someone who is actually in the Bahamas with both sets of charts, I can assure you that the Navionics is far inferior here. The more off the beaten path one gets here, the more inferior Navionics is.

Navionics make a lot of noise about their sonar charts, and these are indeed high resolution and accurate (in the limited use we have put them through), but if you are not fishing, I don't really see the use or advantage of them. Frankly, they are a visually cluttered distraction when using the chart plotter for routing and navigation. If this feature is important to you, then it is as advertised. However, there is that Bahamas thing...

As for the US, I don't think it matters much and we haven't seen any significant difference between CMap, NOAA and Navionics. Frankly, I can't believe B&G do not include free NOAA charts in the plotter. Furuno includes them free, along with high resolution satellite photos and regular free updates for life. And Furuno has to reformat them to their own proprietary format - yet still provides them free.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:53   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OK,
With Garmin it was easy to find the chips, forgot the name but it even had sat photos for marina's etc.

The charts for the B&G, is this a download thing, of buy a physical card?
Anybody got a good link for a good price for US and Bahamas charts?
Is it just Navionics Gold, as in that card will work in anybody's plotter or is it a specific card / software for B&G?

Link or name of a good supplier if possible.

I and my kid has been all through the menu's and just can't get any kind of useful data for routing, I had assumed you had to have all the "stuff" for an autopilot to get that to work. It seems B&G is good about having to have all kinds of extra "boxes" for stuff to work
You'll have to do some shopping. Here is a guide to compatible cartography:

Cartography

There's a pretty wide choice, and it looks like you can even use raster charts from NV! I wouldn't choose those, though.

If you like the aerial photographs and cruising guides built into your Garmin, then you might like the Navionics Platinum+, which has those functions. I have this for UK, but don't find the photos to be all that helpful, but YMMV.

Your plotter takes MicroSD cards. So you should choose what charts you want, then shop for price, then just make sure that the vendor says that the card is compatible. As far as I know, all the MicroSD versions of Navionics charts are compatible, but it doesn't hurt to double check.

They are mostly sold as full size SD cards with the Micro bit which can be taken out, so they are actually compatible with plotters using either full size or Micro SD. Very handy.

When you receive your chip, you will be disappointed to discover that there is no data on it whatsoever. It is just a blank card with a download code.

I HATE this system as it is pure hell to set up a new chart if you are out cruising without a good Internet connection. Plus it's a fair amount of work even if you're at home and don't have this problem. You have to choose the areas and types of data and then download gigabytes of data.

Be sure to sign up for Freshest Data (I'm assuming here that you're going with Navionics; but C-Map must have something similar) so that you get your year of free updates.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Concerning the functions on your plotter -- the only thing which won't work without a Simrad or B&G pilot is the autopilot control. None of the nav functions need any other piece of Simrad gear. Try the instructions I posted and let us know how you make out. The menu structure is quite awkward, so it can be hard to find the functions. There are two different levels of Chart View functions -- one level is accessed with one press of the Menu button. But for the main level of functions, you have to press twice and go into setup. Menu>Menu>Chart.

Besides the nav stuff we discussed, you can also set up laylines (shown from both your vessel and from your waypoint, which is handy), extension lines of different types. Other functions which will be important for you are in Menu>Menu>Navigation.

Another hot tip and really original idea -- spend some time with the manual It took me a long time to learn all the functions, and I kept the manual by my bunk for months, reading sections of it over and over again.

This plotter was definitely not designed by Steve Jobs . But on the other hand, it is much more intuitive and straightforward than Furuno plotters.

In any case, it will do everything you want it to, it just takes some patience.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:55   #42

I have the C-Map Max N+ 2015:

C-MAP MAX-N+ 2015

I think you can find the chip online for less than $250.

It was hard to get a straight answer, but supposedly the Bahamas region is based on the Explorer chart data. That pointed me to C-map instead of the others for B&G. We are heading thru Florida and the Bahamas next year.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:56   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Geezus, just doing a quick search and this Navionics Platinum chart thing is a money maker, to get most of the GOM and Bahamas is two cards, total cost over $700?

Looking at the chart options reminds me of my old Raymarine plotter, I guess that was probably Navionics as well
My old Raymarine plotter (which I loved, by the way -- it was much less buggy than the Zeus) used C-Map and only C-Map. It was an RL80CRC+ and cost a fortune in its day.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:01   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Here's what you want, based on ColeMJ's recommendation:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/C-MAP-4D-...mas-P3147.aspx

That has the functions of Navionics Platinum (photos, harbor guides, 3D view, etc.) and covers a much wider area, for $270.

ColeMJ says the cartography is better, so this is a no-brainer. Looks like you just missed a $50 rebate!
Old 04-11-2015, 06:07   #45

C-MAP MAX-N+ Wide NA-Y027 Gulf of Mexico and Central America for Navico

I purchased my chip from these guys. It came as a micro SD chip in and SD chip holder. Already programmed - no need to fuss with downloads. Plus I wanted the 2015 chip which was not yet available, but due to pending departure had to get the available version. Three months later, the 2015 chip was available and Jeppesen C-map swapped mine out for no charge. Very good customer service.

Oh, and if you are planning to go to Bahamas, this chip supposedly used the Explorer chart data in the areas where available. That was important to me since we will be there next year. Also for a short time Jeppesen ran a special whereby if you purchased a Bahamas-inclusive chip, they sold the Explorer Chartbook for $55 each, or a special bundled price if you purchased all three.

Tags
enc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: