Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2006, 07:22   #16
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
The starter motor was a good suggestion as cranking speed is needed.
The starter motor was overhauled a few hundred hours ago.
The problem is not really obvious stuff such as slow cranking speed, dirty filters low tempratures or whatever.

Wonder if an air-bubble would get trapped and cause the above problems if I did not properly bleed the engine after last filter change...?

Hmm, that is when I noticed it,, and I have not run the engine for more than a few hours since then.

But I do get full RPM so all the cylinders must be running...

(Scratching my noggin here)
Old 13-02-2006, 07:42   #17
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
A diesel needs three basic components to run. A good air supply, a good fuel supply and good compression. Air supply is a no brainer as the engine is reaching full power. Fuel supply needs to be thought about as it was recently worked on, however I can't think of any fuel problem that would allow the engine to reach full power but be hard to start. Never Monday would certainly have more experinece in this instance, my specialty is large ship's engines.
My experience with Perks is the hard start problem in the cold and remember, cold is a relative term and the warm temps where you operate may have been masking a growing loss in compression. It is not a cause for panic as the engine can still develop full power, it is the compression loss at cranking speed that makes the hard starting. For some reason, injector spray pattern, combustion chamber shape etc. a lot of Perkins models need cold starting help as they age. I'm not familar with the various models but Perkins used a system of dribbling fuel over an electrically heated element to give them a hot air supply in the manifold that would be drawn into the combustion chamber on induction and the make the atomised fuel easier to ignite. The arrangement entered the side of the manifold and comprised a nipple for connection of the fuel supply and a large spade terminal on a ring surrounding it for the electrical connection. If your system has this set-up I would suggest getting it hooked up. The system was a bit neanderthal when compared to today's glow plugs.
Cap'n K:- the fire I used to light in my air cleaner was just a bushman's version of this system. I lived miles away from anywhere & the Nissans were real hard on glowplugs. never remembered to keep enough spares.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel