Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-04-2013, 20:07   #1

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII
Determining if a HF radio transceiver is marine type accepted

Hi all,
I've been reading all the talk on HF transceivers (Ham and Marine). I'm interested in understanding how one finds out which radios are marine type approved. In looking at the Icom IC-M802 spec sheet, other than it being listed under the marine ssb section, I can't seem to find anything referencing any of the FCC parts - yet everything else I read says this is indeed a type approved marine HF radio.

I've been looking at the Yaesu (Vertex) and Kenwood sites too, and can't seem to determine if any of their HF radios are type approved.

An alternative that might help me would be a list of currently available (new, not used) marine HF radios. Right now it seems like it might be only the M802 and some pretty pricey Furuno radios ($10k+).

Thanks for any thoughts in advance!

Cheers,
Mike

Old 02-04-2013, 09:01   #2

Re: Determining if a HF radio transceiver is marine type accepted

You would have to look it up in the FCC database using the FCC identifier number on the equipment. Here's the first page of the test report for the M802. At least Furuno has a copy of the equipment authorization on their website for their's. Icom is pretty lacking when it comes to documentation.

Eric

Old 02-04-2013, 09:58   #3

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Hi Eric, Thanks for responding.

So I headed over to the FCC and did an OET Authorization search for part 80 HF transmitter devices. 28 items are returned. There's the Furunos (starting at >$10k), some Japan Radio Corp stuff (starting at >$17k), a "Samyung" (haven't seen it discussed much anywhere), the Icom, and some Danish equipment. No mention of the Yaesu or Kenwoods (that I've seen mentioned on these forums elsewhere). The oldest final cation date in the results is 1991 and the newest is 2011 ... based on this result, is it really the case that if one wants to be "legal" on a private recreational vessel for using marine HF frequencies (SSB) that Icom is the only realistic (still $2k) game in town?

Cheers,
Mike
Old 02-04-2013, 10:06   #4

If you want current new products, then yes.

Eric
Old 02-04-2013, 10:32   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Looks like a bad sign for marine SSB, to me, that less and less equipment is being sold.

I have read that when existing stocks of the Icom M801E run out, there will be no legal recreational marine SSB transceiver available in Europe at all. And I am just now installing my SSB! Who will I talk with? Good thing I got my ham license . . .
Old 05-04-2013, 22:52   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop

SEA Com Corp makes a full line of excellent HF marine radios, beginning with the SEA 235 which lists for about $2200. One of these sold very recently on this Board for $800, including a SEA tuner, a Pactor III modem, and other parts. A truly fantastic deal.

There are many good used marine HF radios on the market, too. Those which are/were FCC type certificated are well known...no need to waste time looking. Examples include the Icom M600, M700, M800, M700Pro, M710, M710/RT, and the current M802 and the M801. There are a number of older SEA models, the Furuno 1502 and 1503, and the very excellent Kenwood TKM-707. One can argue about the Yaesu FT-600; as far as I'm concerned, it's also legit for use on the marine bands.

Many HF radios received certification for use on the aircraft and land mobile bands, as well as on the marine bands.

Bill
WA6CCA

Tags
marine, radio

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: