Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2015, 16:42   #1

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5
Depth Sounder gone wacky

Two weeks ago, while anchored in Smuggler's Cove, BC, our depth sounder quit on us overnight. Now it just so happens there was an impressive lightning storm that night. However, I don't think we got struck as none of the other electronics were fried and I would have thought that we would have known if we were hit even if we were asleep inside the cabin. So chalk it up to coincidence.

Anyway, we have a Faria Depth Sounder which has worked well for many years. But now when it is connected to a power source it beeps and cycles through the modes a few times then the screen goes blank. I checked the terminals and there appears to be no wiring problems. Is this an indication that the instrument is broken or is the transducer the problem?

I've contacted the manufacturer but I haven't gotten any definitive response yet.

I just want to know if the collective wisdom has any idea before I shell out $$ for a new instrument and/or transducer.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Steve
Buchido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 17:07   #2

Re: Depth Sounder gone wacky

HI Buchido,

I've just had a similar problem with a ~6yo Lowrance HDS7. On startup, it would just continnue to reboot without ever actually reaching operational status (ie - wouldn;t even get to the 'terms of use' acceptance screen). I had to do a 'soft boot' (hold down the 'pages' button when powering up until the map screen came up) to start it which deleted all my screen display settings (fuel use, water temp etc - customisable by user). Very annoying.

I solved it by backing up all my waaypoints/routes etc and doing a 'hard boot' which erased everything to factory settings. I then installed the Lowrance update (as per their website instructions). Reload my saved data, re-setup the unit and it's worked faultlessly since.

So whilst I can;t help with your particular problem (in fact, I've never even heard of the Faria brand) - I'd suggest checking the Faria website for software update and booting options for your particular model. Certainly solved a similar problem on my Lowrance.
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 19:03   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

If it were mine I would think it's toast. Do they even provide repair support? Transducers are common so it's not a total loss
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 11:25   #4

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll try and do a hard reset and see if that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
If it were mine I would think it's toast. Do they even provide repair support? Transducers are common so it's not a total loss
Guy what do you think is toast. The instrument or the transducer or both?

Thanks again
Buchido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 16:15   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchido View Post
Two weeks ago, while anchored in Smuggler's Cove, BC, our depth sounder quit on us overnight. Now it just so happens there was an impressive lightning storm that night. However, I don't think we got struck as none of the other electronics were fried and I would have thought that we would have known if we were hit even if we were asleep inside the cabin. So chalk it up to coincidence.

Anyway, we have a Faria Depth Sounder which has worked well for many years. But now when it is connected to a power source it beeps and cycles through the modes a few times then the screen goes blank. I checked the terminals and there appears to be no wiring problems. Is this an indication that the instrument is broken or is the transducer the problem?

I've contacted the manufacturer but I haven't gotten any definitive response yet.

I just want to know if the collective wisdom has any idea before I shell out $$ for a new instrument and/or transducer.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Steve
Good day, Buchido,

Here's a possible way for you to find out which is at fault.... If you have an acquaintance in the area, with a Faria depth sounder that is working, maybe he would let you hook up your display to his unit temporarily, to see if your display is okay. if so, it would point to the problem being with the transducer.

However, try the hard reset first.

Ann

Tags
depth, depth sounder