Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2019, 07:03   #1

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate
Depth Sounder Questions/Troubleshooting

Morning,

I have a Raymarine ST60 and the display is pretty much dead. Screen/buttons inoperable.

The boat has 2 transducers. A classic AV cable type of currently indiscernible brand/make/model and the ST60 transducer with 3 wires. The original AV cable transducer is the more useful installation as its only 4-5 feet from the bow. The Raymarine transducer is at least 20ft aft.

Can anyone give me a way to test the classic transducer with my multi-meter to see if it is still operating properly?

Also, its a boat, so obviously we are already way over budget on our refit. I have found a few classic B&G analog depth displays for sale at prices I find reasonable. B&G Synchro I believe the ad says.
Would anyone know if I can plug one of my existing transducers up to one of these classic displays and get a reading out of it?

I am not concerned with looks, just want something reliable. We can plan for an upgrade in a season or two!

Thank you everyone!
Old 26-05-2019, 08:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Depth Sounder Questions/Troubleshooting

See the ST60 Instruments Service Manual
Chapter 2. Depthhttp://www.olajedatos.com/documentos...e%20Manual.pdf

There’s also a few testing tips, here ☞ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-183918.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 08:53   #3

Boat: Cal 33-2

Key is the frequency of the transducer and display. They must match. Most depth tranducers out there are made by Airmar, so you can mix and match brands. But note you can't use one of the new tranducers designed to interface with a network with an older display.
Old 26-05-2019, 09:35   #4

If the display is screwing up there's likely no problem with your transducer. The easiest way to isolate where the problem is to swap around with a known good system - eg at a dealer's or on a friend's boat. Once you've isolated the problem you can repair or replace. Raymarine could repair your display, if that's where the problem is.

After about 8 years, our ST60 depth instrument started being flaky last year - bad or no readings. After reviewing our options I simply replaced it with a Garmin fishfinder. For CDN$140 It comes with transducer, and has built-in GPS. It's been great. Not as easy to read in sunlight, but $300 cheaper than a new ST60 set.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 10:00   #5

There is a man who can replace screen and buttons on the ST60 for $160. But I am looking around to weigh all my options before considering that one.

Is there a way to identify the transducer frequency? The cable is not labeled. The transducer is the type threaded through the hull.

Thank you for the link Gord, I have read that thread and will try the multi-meter tapping method.

Anybody know what frequency the ST60 uses so I could try to source an affordable replacement?
Old 26-05-2019, 11:26   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
... Anybody know what frequency the ST60 uses so I could try to source an affordable replacement?
According to the SERVICE Manual:
G Black (-) & H Blue (+)
DEPTH - Intermittent pulses of 200KHz, approximately 400us wide, 300Vp-p
The manual also has a complete parts list, and cct diagrams.

Raytheon ST-60 Digital Instruments SERVICE Manual:
http://www.olajedatos.com/documentos...e%20Manual.pdf

This manual is likely NOT AUTHORIZED for public use.
I recommend anyone with ST-60 Instruments should download it now, whilst it’s still available.

Old 26-05-2019, 11:56   #7

Talking Re: Depth Sounder Questions/Troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
According to the SERVICE Manual:
G Black (-) & H Blue (+)
DEPTH - Intermittent pulses of 200KHz, approximately 400us wide, 300Vp-p
The manual also has a complete parts list, and cct diagrams.

Raytheon ST-60 Digital Instruments SERVICE Manual:
http://www.olajedatos.com/documentos...e%20Manual.pdf

This manual is likely NOT AUTHORIZED for public use.
I recommend anyone with ST-60 Instruments should download it now, whilst it’s still available.
Dang it Gord you got all the answers for sure. By the way,
I used to vaca at a friends cottage in Thunder Bay whet I was a kid. great place and named correctly.
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 12:36   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

“The only thing that you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.” ~ Albert Einstein
“Never memorize something that you can look up (in a book).” ~ Albert Einstein
“The most important thing in life is not knowing everything; it's having the phone number of somebody who does!” ~ ?

Old 27-05-2019, 05:09   #9

Ok, so service manual says Raymarine transducer is 200khz. That’s awesome as they are prevalent.

Any ideas how I measure KHZ on the old AV cable transducer?
It’s seriously the better installation. Whoever installed the raymarine system was lazy. It’s transducer is smack dab in the middle of a very accessible locker space 20ft aft of the bow. If I do need to use it, I may have to relocate the bugger up forward where it belongs.
Old 27-05-2019, 05:40   #10

Not clear what you you mean by "AV cable" transducer. If you mean it has an RCA type connector,, that doesn't mean much. My old Datamarine depth unit had that type of connector on the end of the transducer cable. Since the Raymarine unit runs at 200kHz, I would be very surprised if the transducer is something different.
Old 27-05-2019, 06:07   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The classical instrument for measuring frequency is an oscilloscope, however many digital multimeters* (DMM) now offer a frequency function.
Ie:
Fluke 87V, Fluke 179, and more ➥ https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=frequency+...l_6bz4vk42by_b

How to measure frequency https://www.fluke.com/en-ca/learn/be...tal-multimeter

Old 27-05-2019, 07:00   #12

JimsCAL,
Yes RCA type and there are TWO transducers on board. One for the Raymarine system most likely installed last owner and the original 35 year old RCA type.
We have identified that the poorly installed Raymarine tranducer (Airamar) is 200khz and works.

I am trying to find out those same two things about the RCA type. Does it work and what kHz is it?

GORD,
I will investigate wether my current DMM has frequency and perform the screw driver pump test when I make it over to the boat tonight or tomorrow. Thank you for your help, appreciate your time.
Old 28-05-2019, 05:29   #13

Morning guys,

So my DMM has the Hz setting on the dial for frequency, but when connected directly to the transducer shows no information. I am assuming this is because its not powered? If I connect the RCA style to the Raymarine display, I get nothing but dashes on the Raymarine display.

It seems as though the reading I would get from Frequency is put out from the Raymarine display, not the Transducer. Would anyone agree/disagree with that?

Can I plug the transducer into the 12V house system and then take my frequency reading? Or will this be the frequency of the house system and not the transducer?

Thank you for your time everyone! Really appreciated.
Old 28-05-2019, 05:48   #14

These older transducer are passive. You will not be able to measure any frequency with your DMM. I believe the "frequency" of the transducer is the natural frequency of the crystal inside. The display puts out a short pulse at that frequency that excites the transducers natural frequency. And no, connecting the transducer to the 12V house system will not work. Note also the 12VDC has no frequency. DC = direct current. AC = alternating current.

One test is to put a screwdriver or something similar on the transducer while the system is powered up and put your ear to the end of the screwdriver. You should hear a ticking sound which is the high frequency sound pulses. Have you tried that?
Old 28-05-2019, 06:36   #15

One can usually hear the ticking of an operating transducer (while connected to its head unit and operating) as described above, or if it's unmounted, by aiming it at a flat surface so that the sound bounces back to your ear.

This is a good basic test for finding a dead transducer. But the only simple way to confirm that the transducer is 100% ok is by connecting it to a known good head unit, hanging the transducer overboard if it's not mounted, and seeing a correct depth. And ideally, repeating this test at different depths.

If it's a popular transducer like Airmar, most dealers can probably assist with testing it.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, depth sounder