Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2019, 08:02   #1

Boat: Catalina 400 2001 40 feet
Depth instrument giving incorrect reading

At times when my depth reads for 350 feet (example in deep water ) , I know I am in 350 feet of water, my reading on my instruments might go to 4 feet or 7 feet, then it will go back to 350 feet what it should be. I thought my instruments might not be working correctly but it happened to another boat that was with me over the weekend. Does anyone have an explanation for this.
SeaDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 08:06   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Depth instrument giving incorrect reading

something floated under, like a plastic bag or seaweed
Old 23-09-2019, 10:37   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Sometimes fish, sometimes bubbles and sometimes multiple echoes from the bottom can cause those responses.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 10:54   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

This is inherent to echo sounders. They send out a pulse and wait for the echo coming back. If the water is very deep the echo comes back just after sending out the second pulse.

It then indicate depth based on the time difference between the second pulse send and the first pulse coming back. After all a pulse is a pulse for that machine.

Of course you can get false echos also from water layers of different temperature or salinity, etc.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 10:24   #5

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord 12.3m

What make of depth sounder?
geoff3nebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 10:26   #6

Boat: Watkins 29

Bubbles! Air! You passed a wave that swept air under your hull or bubbles from some idiopathic source. Very common in sailboats where our transducers are mounted toward the bow! Nothing to worry about!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 10:49   #7

Boat: Adams 42

I have noted that when sailing in DEEP water my depth sounder indicates a no echo situation, it still shows the last recorded depth. Usually that reading varies up to about 10 meters and (hopefully) always from a false echo.
Flotsam, fish, turbidity, temperature lenses, going astern seem to give you a false reading.
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 11:48   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
This is inherent to echo sounders. They send out a pulse and wait for the echo coming back. If the water is very deep the echo comes back just after sending out the second pulse.

It then indicate depth based on the time difference between the second pulse send and the first pulse coming back. After all a pulse is a pulse for that machine.

This. I used to see this regularly passing a 400-foot contour in Lake Champlain... after showing 399, the depth would steadily count down to 10' (when it was actually 410) because each echo came back just after the following pulse was sent out. Raymarine ST60. Always the same behaviour in the same place. It was weird/scary the first time, after that we'd just say that Nessie swam up to scratch his (her?) back on our keel.

A slightly more intelligent depthsounder would reduce the pulse rate (increase the interval between) as dept increased, but after 400', it wasn't much of an issue.

Radar units do something similar, changing pulse rate and duration with changes in range scale; the difference is that the range is changed manually, whereas most depthsounders do not have a "range" setting.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 12:20   #9
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post

Of course you can get false echos also from water layers of different temperature or salinity, etc.
I disagree.

If the sounder has a max software limited range of 600 ft, and at 350 it occasionally drops to 4 feet and then returns to 350 ft, the cause is most likely loss of echo. This causes the AGC (automatic gain control) to increase.

This enables the receiver to see the transducer ring down at the end of the blanking period (duration the receiver is rendered inoperative after the transmit pulse).

Which is likely the duration of an echo from 4 ft in your case.

So in normal operation when there is a strong echo from a hard close bottom (say 50 ft), the AGC is low and the transducer ringdown at the end of blanking is less significant than the true echo which is correctly processed and distance reported.

As depth increases or bottom produces a weaker echo, the AGC increases until bingo, ringdown detected and minimal distance reported.

If the false echo was due to any other cause (debris, multiple echoes, echo from previous transmit cycle) the related distance would be random, and not always 4 ft.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 12:44   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

False echo is most likely as noted by other posts. Is the transducer window clean?
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 16:48   #11

I have a gadget that NEVER gives an inaccurate reading. It's called a "lead line".
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 02:16   #12

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I have seen this a few times in depths that are well within the normal range of my depth sounder (20~30metres or so) it is usually caused by a thermocline, a marked temperature difference in the water at depth. During WWII , and I expect even in this day and age, submarines used to take advantage of them to sit undetected by sonar below the sharp temperature change which the sonar bounces off.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 07:48   #13
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
I have seen this a few times in depths that are well within the normal range of my depth sounder (20~30metres or so) it is usually caused by a thermocline, a marked temperature difference in the water at depth. During WWII , and I expect even in this day and age, submarines used to take advantage of them to sit undetected by sonar below the sharp temperature change which the sonar bounces off.
Thermoclines occur at various depths.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 07:58   #14

Not limited to sailboats and not limited to deep water. Every boat I've owned has done this. 25......24......24....25.......4......24....25.

I'll zoom in on the chartplotter and look at contour lines, there is nothing at 4-5 anywhere near there. This occurs in heavily marked and travelled. If there were an obstruction someone would have hit it by now.

I assume it is a clump of seaweed or a large fish or a false echo. Usually whenI get a weird reading it also flashes as if even the gauge is confused by the reading.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 08:19   #15

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
I have a gadget that NEVER gives an inaccurate reading. It's called a "lead line".
I would like to see that working when the bottom is 12,000 feet, Hahaha
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, men, rum