Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2015, 16:55   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Delorme inReach SE Satellite Communicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Very happy with ours. Used it on a recent short trip Down East.

Tracking was a fun feature that the folks back home loved, but the real value was two-way texting in areas with no cell or Wi-Fi coverage. It occasionally took a few minutes for a text to go through, although other times it was almost instant.

I know, somehow we used to survive for weeks on end with no way for friends and family to reach us. But that was then. There's also a safety benefit to being able to text back and forth with rescuers. It won't replace our EPIRB, but I think it compliments it well.
Same here, a couple of thousand NM on two trips between Aus and PNG this year.

Worked flawlessly - let people keep track of our progress and just the knowledge that we were contactable via text at any time if necessary was comforting for both sides.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 17:02   #17

Forgot to Mention
Delorme has Fantastic Customer Service
On the last day of my last trip
One of the soft keys got intermitantl
Which was not a huge problem and I simply used my iphone to enter
Texts When I got home I called Delorme and they replaced the unit
Free of Charge, In Advance of getting my unit back
All postage paid by them
What made this extraordinary was that my unit was 6 weeks PAST
the one year warranty
Made My Day
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 17:12   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Good to read the positive comments. Thinking of buying one for next season.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 17:36   #19

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Good to read the positive comments. Thinking of buying one for next season.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Look on craigslist.. You can often find used ones in perfect shape for 1/2 price!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 17:52   #20

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik-lu View Post
are there any news and statements to this device after another year ?
I can add that there is one more functionality that is valuable if you dont have internet to download Grib files or weather nor any SSB or other source for weather data.

For a cheap US$8 for one month without the need to continue, OCENS provides on your InReach a way to send a text to trigger OCENS to send you weather data on the lat and lon that you choose either current, 24, 48 or 72 hours in advance. This is valuable if you are making offshore passages and your weather data is stale.

Here is a link to the page that you can read the description SpotCast Weather

The interface to send texts is a little clunky, but once you get the hang of it, it only takes a few minutes to send the request text. PM me if you want more info.

I would agree with everything that has been said especially not using it as a replacement for an EPIRB. However, I use this on deliveries all the time and it is real benefit.
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 19:05   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just downloaded the Spotcast instructions PDF. Looks like a good service at a very reasonable price. I will definitely give it a try on my next passage.

Thanks for that link
Old 07-09-2015, 20:15   #22

I wouldn't go offshore without my InReach

It uses the Iridium network (Spot doesn't) so it works anywhere a satphone would work. More reliable than my Iridium satphone because it doesn't need a steady connection for a call. Just a split second of satelite is all it needs.

Works fine from inside the cabin without an external antenna (standard fiberglass with foam core overhead). Mine sits on the chart table and is turned on all the time. Beeps if a message come in. A great comfort for family ashore to know they can reach me anytime.

Doesn't replace an EPIRB but is a great backup to communicate with rescuers after activating EPIRB. Also appropriate for non Mayday emergencies (medical, breakdown, Coast Guard check-ins, overdue). Waterproof and four day battery allows texting from liferaft if it came to that.j

No SIM, no contract. Enable service only the months you need. $15-$60/month depending on how many free texts you want.

For $299 it's a no brainer just as a backup if you are going offshore
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:50   #23

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Thanks, Rik-lu, for restarting this stream with your inquiry. I had opened it last year and now have some updated info from folks here. For the investment, it seems to be a no-brainer. Even getting weather info from the app.

Still on the fence about SSB. I know, high initial cost and free afterward - local contacts from various "nets". I know the advantages. I also know the cost. The redundancy factor plays a part, too. Good to have back-ups.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:39   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Thanks, Rik-lu, for restarting this stream with your inquiry. I had opened it last year and now have some updated info from folks here. For the investment, it seems to be a no-brainer. Even getting weather info from the app.

Still on the fence about SSB. I know, high initial cost and free afterward - local contacts from various "nets". I know the advantages. I also know the cost. The redundancy factor plays a part, too. Good to have back-ups.
Redundancy I think is a big consideration. Case in point, Rebel Heart, SSB failed, Satt phone service failed, EPIRB became plan C & worked. Imagine their outcome without redundancy...not likely pretty.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:59   #25

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

After having one for a couple years now and putting in through the paces, I would feel comfortable relying on this to save me just as much as an EPIRB. As a matter of fact if I only had time to grab one it would be the Delorme. I've sent as many as 5,000 messages without a single problem. Worst time it took a min or two to send, but most times it's within about 20 to 30 seconds.

PLB battery life is 24 hours bobbing in the water, I can get days out of this while chatting back and forth with SAR. As soon as I hit the S.O.S my family all know something is wrong and they will make sure someone is on the way instead of just staring at a flashing light and hoping someone got the message.

Psychologically it's also comforting to be able to communicate with someone when things go wrong and keep them posted. Nothing like chatting and catching up to pass the hours on a very long passage.

It's also been extremely helpful getting weather forecasts. All my messages have my coordinates imbedded and friends/family can then get me the correct forecast.

Overall I love my device and would count on it with my life. That being said I have multiple redundant backups for everything and wouldn't rely on any single one thing without having a backup. That goes for an EPIRB, SSB etc.

The Delorme is a Godsend.. Hands down one of the best purchases I've made for the boat. Now that there is no yearly contract any slight complaint I might have had is gone. I'll fire mine up for 3-4 months on a trip and then put it into standby until I'm ready to go again.
Old 29-11-2015, 23:01   #26

Boat: Vancouver 27

I had been interested in some kind of satellite device for a while now, and finally got the inReach. Pretty impressed so far. It ticks a lot of boxes for me for not a lot of money, with the same profile as a handheld GPS.

Easy to sync between devices via mini USB. Easy to review subscription/billing status and to quickly and reliably change between service plans via the delorme website. Easy to use in general. If you can operate a handheld GPS, which likely isn't asking much, it's very intuitive. Mine also works just fine below at the nav station.

As others have said, the method of sending texts and receiving wx is a bit clunky, but no complaints on how it gets the job done.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 10:08   #27

Boat: Havsfidra 20

I like mine but I wish they gave you your own phone number for texting. I need to send people to my map for the first message, and that is a bummer. I wish there was a separate password protected page for that..

Sent from my A1-830 using Tapatalk
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 14:47   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
I like mine but I wish they gave you your own phone number for texting. I need to send people to my map for the first message, and that is a bummer. I wish there was a separate password protected page for that..
Or you could send a text from your Inreach to anyone that you want to be able to text you. Then they can just keep it and reply to it when needed or store the contact number on their phone.
Old 30-11-2015, 22:42   #29

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Quote:
Or you could send a text from your Inreach to anyone that you want to be able to text you. Then they can just keep it and reply to it when needed or store the contact number on their phone.
Yes.. But that isn't ideal. I wonder how long the thread can be kept alive..

The issue al is how to keep your inReach private while keeping your map public. Right now it seems to be one or the other. There should be a way to keep one's map public and messaging contact. private.

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:45   #30

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Yes.. But that isn't ideal. I wonder how long the thread can be kept alive..

The issue al is how to keep your inReach private while keeping your map public. Right now it seems to be one or the other. There should be a way to keep one's map public and messaging contact. private.

Gil.
I have threads that are well over a year old.

I have never had an issue with privacy. The people I want to speak privately, I just send them a text and they reply to that.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite