Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 12:44   #1

Dedicated Computer for MaxSea TZ

What computer (make, model) are you using to run MaxSea TimeZero? Does it run well or not very smooth?

I am leaning towards a more rugged (better operating temp range) low power consumption model, like D3 Mini Energy Efficient Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 PC, but the price with options and delivery is starting to look scary. The problem for compact more rugged computers like the one above is limitations of the integrated graphics card and processor speed for more lower range models.

My other half is leaning towards a Mac Mini or an all-in-one eye pleasing deal. Graphics card and processor speed are just fine in these choices, but with operating temp range of 10C-30C I'm worried that they'll only work in California!

We are specifically looking for a computer to use with nav. and communication software on board, not a laptop.

Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 13:14   #2

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: Dedicated computer for MaxSea TZ

We generally get 4-5 years out of our laptops on board. After that you'll probably want to upgrade for other reasons. Currently we're using a pair of Dell Vostros 1710 for their wide hi-res screens & dual Hard Drives, plus a Dell Netbook for email & to download cameras when we're off the boat for extended periods (like trekking in the Himalaya). We have an old steam-powered HP for emergency backup. All run OpenCPN or even MaxSea 11 just fine.

You might get longer life out of a ruggedized computer, but I don't think it's worth the added cost. I think all of our HW failures have been due to pilot error, not environment. For us, power is important so we use laptops & 12v power supplies, as desktop units don't care about power consumption.

Tags
maxsea