Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2016, 03:13   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Dead WSO100 Wind Instrument

We've had such a nice summer cruise so far, no significant gear problems of any kind, and now this

I left the boat for a few days for a business trip, with the instruments shut down. Came back and flipped them on, and the wind instruments reads 99 knots.

I've rebooted the system several times, reset the device instance, gone into the calibration, but -- nothing.

The DSM250 shows 99 knots, then down to 8 knots, back up to 99, with a regular pattern, while the wind direction goes around over 45 degrees back and forth, and about 60 to 105 degrees off the real wind direction.

The regular, non-random pattern of this seems to indicate to me that the WSO100 is bad, not the connection. I will probably go up the mast later today (my former crew, from last year, has just caught up with me on their own boat) and play with the connection, but I have little hope that it is connected with this.

These things are expensive in Europe (nearly $1000) and hard to get here in the Eastern Gulf of Finland.

I left my old Raymarine ST60 wind instrument in place, so maybe I will try to get it working instead. The problem is that much of the old network cabling was removed when I installed my new N2K network 3 1/2 years ago, so it might be an involved job to get it connected again. Might be worth acquiring one of those Actisense converters to put the data into the N2K network.

Argh

Anyone ever experience a failure like this? Any words of wisdom?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:36   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Re: Dead WSO100 Wind Instrument

So connecting the old Raymarine wind instrument looks pretty straightforward. There is a five-conductor cable in the mast with a box at the mast base. I don't really need to revive the old network cabling -- I can connect that to the instrument itself (the old ST60 wind instrument), then put power on one of the two Seatalk 1 connectors on the wind instrument, and then connect the other Seatalk 1 connector to the inexpensive Seatalk1 to Setalk NG converter, which will connect to the N2K network with a cable adapter.

It looks to me like this will be worthwhile doing in any case (to have a backup, which was why I left the thing up there in the first place).

Then I can replace (or send off for service) the WSO-100 at my leisure. Buy it in the States where it is half the cost of over here, next time I'm there.

I think I might also call Maretron tech support tomorrow -- they are truly excellent, and they might have some ideas.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 10-07-2016, 06:00   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This device will convert Seatalk 1 to N2K 0183* in one step:

WiFi NMEA2000/0183/Seatalk Router

But much, much more than that.

A remarkably powerful and very flexible device, and for a knock-down price of only 150 euros. I don't really need any of its other features at the moment, but who knows what the future holds. Very cool.

* It apparently doesn't convert anything to N2K, but it will convert Seatalk1 to 0183 and will multiplex it with other 0183 datastreams. So I'll just connect my Actisense DST box (needed for my ultrasonic log) to this, ST60 to another port, and connect the 0183 output port to the Zeus 0183 listener port.
Walt Whitman
Old 10-07-2016, 10:08   #4

I have replaced a few of them. They seem to last 1-2 years. One was full of water

St 60 to Raymarine seatalk to stng converter works great. Plus gives you the st60 back to look at.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:02   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I have replaced a few of them. They seem to last 1-2 years. One was full of water

St 60 to Raymarine seatalk to stng converter works great. Plus gives you the st60 back to look at.
This happened after torrential rain.

I've had it switched on now for 24 hours and it is starting to have brief episodes of normal function. Maybe it will come back?

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Walt Whitman
Old 11-07-2016, 04:47   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So the WSO100 has come back to life and has been working normally for the last 18 hours or so.

I don't know whether it will stay up or not, but considering the cost of the unit, I want to give it a chance, and if (when) it dies again, I'd like to send it in to be checked for the source of the failure.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had this kind of problem.

Now I see that having a backup is a good idea, so will definitely pursue getting the old Raymarine ST60 working again. I'll try to acquire the interesting VYacht router (I started a separate thread on it). I don't know if I can find a place at my nav table for the ST60 instrument, so maybe I'll put it on the salon bulkhead. It will be nice to have redundant sources of this data. Which actually was my plan all along.
Walt Whitman
Old 11-07-2016, 05:04   #7

My B&G AWI has been on the mast for 31 years and works perfectly. I think I changed the cups about 15 years ago... but maybe not. I find this remarkable considering all the hurricanes it endured. Been only done for 2 few winter layups. I know of no other mechanical / electrical device to last this long.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 13:03   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
My B&G AWI has been on the mast for 31 years and works perfectly. I think I changed the cups about 15 years ago... but maybe not. I find this remarkable considering all the hurricanes it endured. Been only done for 2 few winter layups. I know of no other mechanical / electrical device to last this long.
Those old B&G instruments were built like brickhouses. What is now sold under the B&G name (like what I have) is now something completely different, just stenciled on to Navico products.

The old B&G workshop in Lymington is now a sail loft -- and in fact is where my new carbon sails were made.
Walt Whitman
Old 11-07-2016, 13:48   #9

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

I have had the same problem with the WSO100 after a huge squall. I turned it off over night and the next morning it was OK.
Has been working for the past 4 month. The unit is just over 2 years old now.
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 13:47   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I realized in horror that I might not even be able to get the damned thing OFF. I put it on a 1.5 meter alu pole, so it's out of reach to me in a bosun's chair.

I might be able to unscrew the pole out of the socket (it's alu in stainless, so Duralacked -- don't know if that sets up or not over time. Pull some spare cable out, and let it droop over so that I can reach the WSO100. That's going to be some kind of masthead ballet

I might be forced to hire a pro, which will add even more to the cost of this little foible

As to the instrument itself -- it's been intermittent today, mostly working but occasionally going wild. Interesting that the temperature and baro also goes to weird numbers (it was 55C today for a few minutes ). Makes me wonder whether possibly the connection could be at fault. I used a Maretron field connector there, then did a telecomm wrap with rescue tape.
Walt Whitman
Old 13-07-2016, 14:29   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is what Maretron tech support wrote back (response in under 24 hours BTW):

"Thank you for emailing Maretron Support with your questions. The WSO100 symptoms you have reported seem to suggest water ingress occurs into the ultrasonic chamber when rainfall occurs. Maretron recommends that you submit an RMA request to have the unit inspected for broken seals and possible damage. Please submit your information using the following link here:. . . "
Walt Whitman

Tags
men, rum, wind