Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2011, 09:14   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 44cc
DataMarine / Raymarine Compatability

Have Datamarine sx120 speed transducer with s100kl all working. Would like to add info from sx120 to raymarine network. Is the sx120 speed log compatible with an st70 transducer pod? Is there another way to introduce data from the speed transducer into the network? I've considered scrapping the Datamarine stuff but can't seem to find out if a raymarine Transducer (the one with the paddle wheel) will fit in the through hull that the sx 120 speed transducer is currently in so not even sure which route to go with that one.
NCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 00:39   #2

Boat: Oday 30
Re: DataMarine Raymarine Compatability

I faced the same dilemma a few years ago, and here is the path I took:

The SX120 transducer and the Raymarine transducers operate on different principles--the Raymarine is a three-wire Hall Effect transducer, the Datamarine SX120 is a two-wire small current device. So you can't really use the existing transducer to drive an ST70 pod, without custom electronics. And even if you did, you'll be unable to read the result on your S100 Knotlog. However, if you decide to throw out the Datamarine knotmeter, you will be left with a 4" round hole that will have to be patched or covered up somehow when you install a newer, square instrument.

Assuming you are content with a SeaTalk 1 network (as opposed to SeaTalk NG or SeaTalk NT), the following solution will work. The last Datamarine Corinthian knotmeter, model CS100, had NMEA 0183 inputs and outputs, and works well with Raymarine's Seatalk 1 network, provided you use an NMEA to SeaTalk adapter such as the Raymarine E85001 Interface Box. I replaced my S100 KL with a CS100 on my boat, and it interfaces very well with my SeaTalk network and my Garmin chartplotters. I also installed a Datamarine CD400 depth indicator and a Datamarine CW360 wind indicator to add their functions to the network.

Datamarine is essentially out of business, but these NMEA-enabled units appear on eBay from time to time. Also, DMI Marine, formed by former Datamarine personnel, sells Phoenix knotmeters and depth indicators which are NMEA-enabled replacements for the Datamarine Corinthian units.

Hope this helps--at least it's an option that I know works, and doesn't require patching holes in fiberglass.
RecoveringRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 07:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the help. I've talked with the DMI Marine people. They put me right through to the tech folks doing bench repairs. They were the friendliest folks I think I've ever talked with outside of some of the West Marine people that I've had the honor of doing business with.
The tech even told me how to self test everything without sending it in to them and having to pay the bench charge. WOW! Great People!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:36   #4

Boat: O'Day 302

Any progress on this? I'd also like to replace my sx120 with a new speed/temp core, but Id like to hook it up to my Raymarine st40 display.
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:45   #5
Marine Service Provider

Re: DataMarine / Raymarine Compatability

I was able to get the old datamarine insturments working with some help from DMI. I haven't networked it all together. I've decided that I'll just wait and replace everything with all Raymarine stuff instead of going through the cost of getting the DataMarine stuff to work with my network. Will probably do all this next summer. Was to busy getting on the water this summer to really mess with it. My autopilot and chartplotter are both raymarine and they function together really well. I decided I would like to have the functionality of having everything from the same manufacturer along with all the benefits of doing it that way...
Old 12-12-2011, 13:32   #6

Boat: O'Day 302
Re: DataMarine / Raymarine Compatability

Ncountry - could you clarify a little? By get it working you mean you got your sx120 to work with your s100 kl? Or you were able to get the sx120 working with some sort of raymarine display?
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine