Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2018, 15:58   #1

Boat: Endeavour 42
Crosstalk / interference between Autopilot and stereo

Equipment
iPhone 8S
Ray Marine St-6000+ autopilot
Dual MArine Stero from West Marine
When I have my phone bluetoothed into the stereo while underway, and the autopilot engaged, every time the autopilot “triggers” to move the rudder, I get a beeping on the stereo. It’s definitely crosstalk, because if I make a big course Chan he, it sounds like the wheel in wheel of fortune. Small change, infrequent beeping. I know I have some ground issues onboard, but would that cause something like this?
AnnOMalleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 18:38   #2

Re: Crosstalk / interference between Autopilot and stereo

Its not really cross talk. Its just interference. All electronic equipment makes noise, and this noise can be radiated or conducted on the power cables or into other equipment. The other point also is that the amplifier in your stereo is not properly filtered and its amplifying this noise, which is a common problem with cheaply designed mass produced electronic equipment. Unfortunately lot of the equipment manufactured in China does not meet the numerous design standards that are in some cases law. Simple fix is to move the stereo or run the cables so that it minimizes pickup. This is no different to stereos picking up cell phone buzz or blips and blops when you surfing the web with the phone near the stereo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnOMalleys View Post
Equipment
iPhone 8S
Ray Marine St-6000+ autopilot
Dual MArine Stero from West Marine
When I have my phone bluetoothed into the stereo while underway, and the autopilot engaged, every time the autopilot “triggers” to move the rudder, I get a beeping on the stereo. It’s definitely crosstalk, because if I make a big course Chan he, it sounds like the wheel in wheel of fortune. Small change, infrequent beeping. I know I have some ground issues onboard, but would that cause something like this?
plebian99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, enc, interference