Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2015, 13:44   #1

Creatures In My Speedo Paddlewheel

I live in Vancouver and my boat has a clean bottom. Small creatures continually reside in and around the paddle-wheel for my speedo. These pests are of two varieties and look like small wood-bugs or small shrimps. In so doing they prevent the paddle-wheel from turning and the speedo does not work. Almost every time I use the boat I must remove the paddle-wheel from inside the boat so I can clean away these creatures. This of course makes the bilges rather wet before I can get the plug into the orifice that the paddle-wheel came from. I was advised not to apply bottom paint to the paddle-wheel and surrounding casing and I have not done this. What I want to know is if there is any product that can be applied that will keep these vermin away and not interfere with the operation of my speedo.
Tantramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 13:47   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
re: Creatures In My Speedo Paddlewheel

you could always toss the speedo and use GPS speed .. which might be a bit more reliable anyway
Old 28-04-2015, 13:49   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Small creatures in your speedo can be really uncomfortable. Fortunately for me my wife made me stop wearing a speedo 30 years ago.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 14:40   #4

I do antifoul the paddle wheel. You just have to do it carefully, and make sure it still spins freely when the paint is dry. Probably discourages the little beasties a bit.

If you're only using the boat occasionally, it's probably a better idea to remove the paddlewheel between uses.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 14:46   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
CREATURES IN MY SPEEDO PADDLEWHEEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Small creatures in your speedo can be really uncomfortable. Fortunately for me my wife made me stop wearing a speedo 30 years ago.

S/V B'Shert

We don't bother with Speedos either but that is the best laugh I've had all day. But to answer OP the answer almost NO!
I say almost because folks have been trying to build water speed instruments with no moving parts for years. Generally they are using some form of Doppler tech. It works alright for high speed boats but not so well for us brothers of the cloth. The signal to noise at low speed makes them erratic. You'd be better off with the old taffrail system, if they still made them.

You either clean the paddle wheel before each sail or settle for SOG from the GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 15:00   #6

Gave up on the paddle wheel. Use GPS.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 15:53   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We've been anti fouling our paddle wheel knotmeters for many years, with considerable success. Remove the wheel from the housing by knocking out the axle pin. Clean the fouling off of both wheel and the concave area that it spins in. Scrub with acetone or other light solvent, let dry and apply a thin coat of your favorite a/f paint. I use a Q-tip to apply. Let dry, reassemble and check for free spinning. Replace in through hull. It lasts about 6 months for us...

Jim, using Ann's computer
Old 28-04-2015, 16:00   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

I remove mine and plug it when I am not moving. When I remember that is. If I don't I pull it and soak it in vinegar for a while before picking the buggers out of it.

But it is useful to compare GPS speed with speed through the water. The delta is the current you are in. I have seen 8 knots of water with 2 knots of GPS speed over ground. That was some tidal outflow!

Mike
S/V Vivo
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 16:27   #9

Boat: Able 50

Just pull the paddlewheel after every sail. If either the speedo or the plug is a little stiff you can give it a thin smear of winch grease. No critters, no coral, no paint.

Nice !
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 20:18   #10

The last yacht I sailed on out of Vancouver (mosquito creek marina) was bugged by the bugs too, yes they look like aquatic pillbugs and they end up getting their shell wedged in between the housing and paddlewheel. Easy fix but you are definitely getting wet, I don't think paint would discourage them because I think they probably swim up there to get out of the current or have a little crevice to hide in which is good until it starts moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 21:03   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Anti fouling paint on your knotmeter paddle wheel will have zero effect upon the amphipods and arthropods living in the transducer body. Anti fouling paints are not formulated to deter these animals.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 08:26   #12

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I do antifoul the paddle wheel. You just have to do it carefully, and make sure it still spins freely when the paint is dry. Probably discourages the little beasties a bit.

If you're only using the boat occasionally, it's probably a better idea to remove the paddlewheel between uses.
I very much agree on both points. But we no longer use a speed transducer for this exact reason. For the last 7 years and many thousands of miles, we have done just fine with only the GPS for speed. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 08:42   #13

Get better at removing it. For years I used my right hand to pull and left to put the dummy plug in. Finally got smart and used my left hand to pull and right to replace. I'm right handed. Towels also work to hold back the flow.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 08:44   #14

Boat: Union 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
x2
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 10:31   #15

Boat: PDQ 44i

smear the paddlewheel with zinc oxide ointment, the white paste that lifeguards used to smear on their noses. It has worked well for me for years.
Capt Markham Anderson
S/V Seabbatical
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel