Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 09:12   #1

Boat: Island Packet 35
Counterpoise

I have a maintenance issue with copper counterpoise. There are sections of it that are just fine. Other sections have deteriorated to the point the strip has actually broken completely or is so brittle it is about to. My question is can I replace the worn and broken sections with new by rivitiing or other mechanical means to the sections of counterpoise that are solid? Thanks
Wind Chime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:38   #2
Eternal Member

Re: Counterpoise

You can, but it's a lot of work. You must be using the very thin foil often sold by radio stores or installers. It doesn't hold up worth a damn in the marine environment unless coated with, e.g., West System, to protect it from oxidation and corrosion.

Two better solutions (among many):

1. if you're going to use copper strips, go to a roofing store and buy 16-oz soft copper. It's much stronger and will last a lot longer.

2. Choose a different counterpoise (RF ground) system. The KISS-SSB radial counterpoise system works very well and is dead simple to install and very robust. Other options include wire radials you run yourself, lifelines/pushpit/pulpit complex, s/s rub rails, aluminum toe rails, etc., etc.

Disclaimer: I'm a dealer for the KISS system -- the only product for which I'm a dealer -- because I've installed a bunch of them and they work very well.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 08:34   #3

Boat: Island Packet 35

Bill I have done some research on your recommendation. Unfortuantely it was after I purchased a section of foil. Splicing new to old is not as simple as falling off a log, particularly when you have to pull back on the stuff in any direction through hull openings etc. However I have got it put back together. I am inland about 50 miles and only tried the radio (an old ICOM something or other) but haven't been able to receive anything audible. Not sure if it is working or not. IF it ends up I have more work to do on the counter poise I WILL go to the KISS system.
MEanwhile I am thinking about upgrading to an IC M700 or M710. Do you know anything about those radios? I want email capacity, don't have it on my current radio (even if it did work). I also have an A 120 tuner. I note that all the material I bring up on the 700 and 710 reference either a 130 or 140 tuner. Would you know if the 120 might work with a 700 or 710? Thanks Bob
Wind Chime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 09:36   #4
Eternal Member

Yep, the AT-120 should work fine with a 700Pro or a 710.

If you need email capability, the only real options are the 700Pro, the 710, or the 802. There are a few others, but they're either incredibly expensive or problematic.

Just noticed you've got an IP-35. Island Packets usually have a stainless steel rub rail all around the hull. This can work as an excellent counterpoise; have done a few installs like this and they worked like gangbusters.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 10:07   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Bob. I just wanted to pass along some info on our installation that I just finished today. I have installed dozens of SSBs on sailboats over the years and always used the copper foil, dynaplate, thru-hull route. All of my installs worked great and all had issues with the foil deteriorating over the years. I just finished the install of our new Icom 802 on our Trawler. This was my first power boat install. I decided on the Kiss radial counterpoise instead of the foil this time based on Bill's and others recommendations. The installation was much smoother and a fraction of the time the foil system took. On my first radio checks I received outstanding replies. I am so pleased with the Kiss system that I am now a supplier for them and will be installing the Kiss system in all future installs. We used a 710 for about 8 or 9 years while doing extensive cruising and used it with our Pactor modem almost every day. I highly recommend it, don't have any experience with the 700 Pro. If we had not found such a great deal on the 802 we would have installed another 710. Good luck. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
counterpoise