Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2016, 18:02   #16

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Connecting WiFi Router to marina network + Marina log in page

It's probably not obvious, but blasting out a signal from a boat is likely to slow down the network for everyone. For a wifi network to operate optimally every device on the network should be able to receive every other device on the network. The radios listen before transmitting, and attempt to not interfere with other transmissions. Putting a powerful amplifier on your system doesn't help receive the other devices, so while it is capable of stomping over other signals it is not any better at avoiding that. The resulting interference results in more re-transmissions and everyone suffers. The other problem is that such a strong signal can overload the marina's receiver, causing distortion and errors. If you want to improve performance then use a larger antenna, which means better reception as well as transmission, then dial back the transmit power to the lowest level that works well. Good wifi clients, like the Bullet, will report the number of lost packets. You can use that to check on how things are working for you - other users may have different results.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:32   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Uh.

I have read and started wondering. My router is about 3 ft from this laptop now. It does not seem to be overloaded by the signal. Sure, laptop wifi is less powerful than again signal should fall of at distance squared (or a similar exponential factor, possibly closer to semi-cubic? for a lobe antenna).

And since you say other stations are listening prior to sending (I understand time slot transmission similar to AIS slot allocation) then the weak stations should be comparatively better able to avoid transmitting in "my" slot since they can hear me better than they can hear the weaker stations.

I probably must read more on how wifi works to get the whole image. I admit I just plug things and play most of the time.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 13:40   #18

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I make no claims to be an expert in these matters - perhaps Jedi will weigh in. Wifi is a complex, dynamic, adaptable system. The max power output is just that - the maximum. It can be negotiated lower, and the AP will try to use the lowest power levels, in order to minimize interference with other networks. As I understand it the AP will use the highest power to initiate a connection, then work down (you can see this by watching the received signal strength). With a local wifi and one or two clients this should work great. OTOH in a marina with a badly designed wifi system, with lots of clients and interference, the signal levels can go all over the map trying to adapt, with lost connections one symptom.

It may be that a strong signal will result in the weaker stations having to wait, which is the normal behavior, but it also results in stomping on the weaker transmissions (not received by the stronger client) resulting in dropped connections and more re-transmissions. In balance it may, or may not, benefit the guy with the amp but guaranteed it will reduce overall performance on a busy AP and basically screw the folks trying to connect directly with their devices' internal radios. It seems appropriate to me that the marina should enforce a good neighbor policy and ban amplifiers - and encourage larger antennae and external radios for better reception. Ultimately the right way to deal with this is to have several APs each covering a modest area, thus assuring all devices on an AP receive each other, as opposed to trying to cover a large marina with a single AP. This can be a tough sell to the marina...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route, wifi