Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 01:50   #1

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Connecting radio with AIS to External GPS

I have a Standard Horizon radio with AIS. For the past two years ive had it connected to my Northstar chartplotter which gave it access to the external gps for the chart plotter.

This week ive finally purchased and installed a new Raymarine chartplotter. I dont really want to connect the radio to the new chart plotter as it will cost me $180 just to get a damn cable to do the connection.

The gps antenna for the Northstar is still on the pushpit. Does anyone know if i can just connect the gps antenna directly to the radio? The wires that i had it connected to from the Northstar?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:46   #2

Re: Connecting radio with AIS to External GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I have a Standard Horizon radio with AIS. For the past two years ive had it connected to my Northstar chartplotter which gave it access to the external gps for the chart plotter.

This week ive finally purchased and installed a new Raymarine chartplotter. I dont really want to connect the radio to the new chart plotter as it will cost me $180 just to get a damn cable to do the connection.

The gps antenna for the Northstar is still on the pushpit. Does anyone know if i can just connect the gps antenna directly to the radio? The wires that i had it connected to from the Northstar?
Doubtful you can use the antenna. Northstar were like Navman I think. Antenna is just that.

Not familiar with any of your components but had a similar problem.
Cheapest option for my radio after I dumped my very old GPS was to use the radio's NMEA 0183 connection. Ublox GPS module with onboard antenna and a 12V to 3.3V DC-DC converter, about £20 and half an hour.
Only simple electronic & soldering skills needed.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:16   #3

Sorry, just remembered, £20-ish was for two of each
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:24   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:

Contact Standard Horizon for instructions on connecting the radio to your new chartplotter. Do it right, don't mickey mouse it.

If you connect the radio to the chart plotter, you will be able to see the ships on your chart plotter screen. That's how it's supposed to be.
Old 05-03-2016, 13:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Contact Standard Horizon for instructions on connecting the radio to your new chartplotter. Do it right, don't mickey mouse it.

If you connect the radio to the chart plotter, you will be able to see the ships on your chart plotter screen. That's how it's supposed to be.
Ill check but i didnt think it was capable of doing that? I thought all its capable of doing is picking up the gps 'from' the chart plotter?

I have a standard horizon gx 2150
Old 05-03-2016, 13:48   #6

Before you spend any $$$ take a look at switching to a nema 2000 backbone. There are definate limits to 0183. I used a stand alone 0183 garmin antenna to feed my VHS and HF radio, it will supply up to 3 devices. It also is avaible as a backup if the nema 2k antenna dies. The nema 2k network is much easier to expand down the road. Worth doing a cost comparison at minimum.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 14:54   #7

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

Not sure witch Standard H, model you have but i remember reading that my Standard H , GX2200 has a built in GPS antenna that should work if it's mounted in a non-metal cabin . Not enclosed in metal etc .
I'm hoping to find out witch wires would be used to hook up a GPS antenna with out the use of any chartplotter etc . Hopefuly before i finish rewiring my mast .
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 15:07   #8

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Ill check but i didnt think it was capable of doing that? I thought all its capable of doing is picking up the gps 'from' the chart plotter?

I have a standard horizon gx 2150
GX 2150 needs an external GPS receiver and can provide AIS output to a chartplotter for display. If you still have the owner's manual, look at Section 6.5.2 for the wiring diagram, otherwise download the manual from the SH web site. You can buy an NMEA 0183 to Seatalk cable for ~$70-$80.
Old 06-03-2016, 17:07   #9

the whole point of having a AIS receiver is so it can be connected to a plotter.

nobody looks at the tiny VHF screen. they are only used because it's easier and cheaper then other receivers.

you need some 20/4 or 22/4 twisted cable. it's probably under 50 cents a foot.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 17:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailersteve View Post
Not sure witch Standard H, model you have but i remember reading that my Standard H , GX2200 has a built in GPS antenna that should work if it's mounted in a non-metal cabin . Not enclosed in metal etc .
I'm hoping to find out witch wires would be used to hook up a GPS antenna with out the use of any chartplotter etc . Hopefuly before i finish rewiring my mast .
No, mine either needs an external gps or piggy back off a chart plotter with gps.
Old 06-03-2016, 17:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
the whole point of having a AIS receiver is so it can be connected to a plotter.

nobody looks at the tiny VHF screen. they are only used because it's easier and cheaper then other receivers.

you need some 20/4 or 22/4 twisted cable. it's probably under 50 cents a foot.
I thought the whole idea of having an AIS receiver was to alert to when ships are coming your way
Old 06-03-2016, 17:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
GX 2150 needs an external GPS receiver and can provide AIS output to a chartplotter for display. If you still have the owner's manual, look at Section 6.5.2 for the wiring diagram, otherwise download the manual from the SH web site. You can buy an NMEA 0183 to Seatalk cable for ~$70-$80.
I had the 2150 connected to my chart plotter, but it did not display anything on the chartplotter, it was simply taking the gps signal to the radio.

I've been informed this morning that my 7 inch new 'a' series will be upgraded to a 9 inch display, so that the new gps antenna will fit, so perhaps the 2150 ais function will now work on the new one?
Old 07-03-2016, 09:22   #13

Boat: Mainship 390

RC,
I have the 2150 and it is extremely easy to hook up to the plotter and make the AIS ships appear on the plotter screen. Attach the NMEA "out" cables from the plotter to the NMEA (GPS) "in" cables on the radio so the plotter provides GPS to the radio. Then connect the High Speed NMEA (AIS) "out" cables from the radio to the High Speed NMEA "in" cables on the plotter. Make sure the ground wires on both plotter and radio are connected properly and your done. You may have a menu on the plotter to enable the AIS functionality, but it should just work. Send me a PM and I'll send you the manual on how to do it.

-Norm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150517_130757.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	120179  
rendern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 16:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendern View Post
RC,
I have the 2150 and it is extremely easy to hook up to the plotter and make the AIS ships appear on the plotter screen. Attach the NMEA "out" cables from the plotter to the NMEA (GPS) "in" cables on the radio so the plotter provides GPS to the radio. Then connect the High Speed NMEA (AIS) "out" cables from the radio to the High Speed NMEA "in" cables on the plotter. Make sure the ground wires on both plotter and radio are connected properly and your done. You may have a menu on the plotter to enable the AIS functionality, but it should just work. Send me a PM and I'll send you the manual on how to do it.

-Norm
I havn't received it yet, but my new Raymarine a series '9' inch comes with the data cables, so I won't have to purchase a separate cable and then I should be able to follow your suggestions.
Old 08-03-2016, 20:28   #15

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

The radio and old chartplotter were 99% sure connected via NMEA 0183. It is likely the new Raymarine will have one in and one out NMEA as well. What model is it?
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, gps, radio