Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2015, 10:19   #31

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Connect ST7000/Type 1 AP to NMEA2000 using E22158

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
It works fine as a spur as long as you don't put the blue resistors in. If you only have one thing pluged in (sea talk 1 cable). Then It's only a single item drop anyways. If you use all ng plugs on the converter then you'd want it in the bus

Since the pilot head is probably already connected to the ap. and powered from the ap through sea talk 1. just connect the yellow and sheid only from the sea talk cable to converter. The pilot will power the control head. The n2k will power the converter.

I have put a few in. Sometimes as a drop and sometimes as the bus. Depending if other seatalk ng cables were needed

There is no need to put it on the end of the n2k bus. It can go anywhere in bus. But if it goes in middle you need to make 2 converter cables instead of one. And you'd make them with blue backbone cables. Not the white one shown in pic
This is very interesting as it goes against the posts in the Raymarine Forums (from the Raymarine Techs). There are a few threads (I posted an example above) where they specifically say it MUST be a backbone device. It makes sense as that device is an "active" device with a microcontroller embedded thats does the Seatalk1 to SeatalkNG (NMEA2000) conversion. That Micro and supporting Canbus driver chip may expect to be on the backbone as this would affect the layout and design of the actual circuit board.

I would love to test it as $90 might be worth getting rudder angle everywhere. I'm a little "gun shy" these days as I have seen NMEA2000 bus issues cause really weird problems with equipment (data missing, reboots, hangs).
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 22:27   #32

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
This is incredible. How simple it would have been for Raymarine to include proper documentation with their product. They have made it exceptionally difficult to use by not doing so.
I wouldn't mind if they supplied manuals that told how to hook up the product you purchased. Sounds like a given. Most of mine don't, or are very vague.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 18:57   #33

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I dealt with this same issue a few months ago. Everything works fine, and I get the rudder and other info into my Zeus2. The Seatalk to Seatalk ng converter needs to be hooked up as a backbone. You will need to make a cable to do this, because no one makes one. I called Raymarine and confirmed this. You can read more about what I did here, on post #88.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-142105-6.html
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 19:47   #34

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I dealt with this same issue a few months ago. Everything works fine, and I get the rudder and other info into my Zeus2. The Seatalk to Seatalk ng converter needs to be hooked up as a backbone. You will need to make a cable to do this, because no one makes one. I called Raymarine and confirmed this. You can read more about what I did here, on post #88.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-142105-6.html
Thanks.. so you had a Seatalk-1 (ST1) Autopilot(AP) trying to send rudder to a N2k system and get wind data from the n2k system to the ST1 AP?

I initially installed the ST1 to STng converter as a spur and it DID work..for getting the rudder out of the ST1 to N2k. That worked fine. I just couldn't see the N2K wind on the AP...so it worked one way (data out of the ST1 worked fine, but the ST1 AP wouldn't accept the N2k data)

Earlier on in the thread SMAC999 mentioned it will work WITHOUT the resistors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMAC999
It works fine as a spur as long as you don't put the blue resistors in. If you only have one thing pluged in (sea talk 1 cable). Then It's only a single item drop anyways. If you use all ng plugs on the converter then you'd want it in the bus
I did NOT try that..yet.... I will try that next as it is easy and I have the stuff and don't have to cut 2 expensive wires (or one expensive wire and an expensive field connector).

If that works I will be thrilled. Of course the easy way out would be to just upgrade the AP computer/display... but is is a very expensive route to go..and the ST7000/type 1 AP is working great..Just need to buy some time before I can do that upgrade. Have other expensive projects ahead of upgrading the AP.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 03:17   #35

Forget hooking it up as a spur - that is wrong. N2K is not a forgiving system. You might get data from something, but also have it put lots of trash data on the system that causes problems. There are lots of threads from people suffering alarm and other weird problems from N2K systems caused by out of spec parts, so why would you invite issues this way?

Again, there is no cable available to do this. Raymarine confirmed. Just buy a cheap 2 ft Garmin N2K cable and the shortest Raymarine blue-connector backbone cable you can find, some very small butt connectors, and splice the two. Test continuance with a meter, and then heat shrink. Mine works great. It's not rocket science.

I have Seatalk instruments and a Seatalk autopilot. All of the data from these instruments goes to the other N2K instruments via the converter. The waypoint and route info from Zeus2 comes in via the N2K network, and is available on the Seatalk autopilot. So for that data, the converter is converting N2K to Seatalk. However I cannot confirm if it works for B&G.
Old 24-08-2015, 04:39   #36

Quote:
Forget hooking it up as a spur - that is wrong. N2K is not a forgiving system. You might get data from something, but also have it put lots of trash data on the system that causes problems. There are lots of threads from people suffering alarm and other weird problems from N2K systems caused by out of spec parts, so why would you invite issues this way?

Again, there is no cable available to do this. Raymarine confirmed. Just buy a cheap 2 ft Garmin N2K cable and the shortest Raymarine blue-connector backbone cable you can find, some very small butt connectors, and splice the two. Test continuance with a meter, and then heat shrink. Mine works great. It's not rocket science.

I have Seatalk instruments and a Seatalk autopilot. All of the data from these instruments goes to the other N2K instruments via the converter. The waypoint and route info from Zeus2 comes in via the N2K network, and is available on the Seatalk autopilot. So for that data, the converter is converting N2K to Seatalk. However I cannot confirm if it works for B&G.
Right I understand there is no cable.

Do you have it set up with the converter as the last connection on the n2k backbone and using a STng terminator?

Your wind tranducers on the n2k backbone or part of the ST1 system? If N2k, the wind data going to the AP ok?
Old 24-08-2015, 04:50   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
Right I understand there is no cable.

Do you have it set up with the converter as the last connection on the n2k backbone and using a STng terminator?

Your wind tranducers on the n2k backbone or part of the ST1 system? If N2k, the wind data going to the AP ok?
Yes, it is the last piece on the N2K backbone. Otherwise - as someone pointed out - you will have to fabricate two cables.

I have an ST60 depth/speed, an ST60 wind, and the S1 wheel pilot - all are Seatalk1 devices. The depth/speed and wheel pilot are daisy-chained together, and the first device on the chain - the depth/speed - is hooked up to the converter. All of the data from those instruments goes into the N2K system via that one connection to the converter. I think it is a white connection end fitting. Anyway, that cable comes with the converter. For your system, that would plug into one side of the AP control display.

As my wind and AP are both Seatalk1, they connect as daisy chained and share data easily because they are both Seatalk. That's why my comment on not being able to confirm whether your Seatalk autopilot can get the N2K wind data. But like I said, my autopilot gets waypoint and route data off of the N2K system, and it appears that the converter works in both directions. Seatalk to Seatalkng (N2K) and N2K to Seatalk. Would be good if someone else could confirm backwards compatibility as well, but at least mine is backwards compatable when it comes to waypoint and route info.
Old 24-08-2015, 04:57   #38

Quote:
Yes, on one side of the converter, you will have to make the cable that has a blue raymarine fitting on one end, and a N2K backbone cable fitting on the other. So that will hook your converter to the end of the N2K backbone, just like it was another N2K T-fitting. One the other side of the converter, you will use one of the blue plugs that came with the converter.

The white cable that comes with the converter will plug into the back of your AP display head. That will provide data AND POWER to the converter. So you can delete the cable with the yellow fitting on the end that is for converter power. So your system should look like:
  • N2K backbone cable with blue raymarine fitting on other end, connected to end of converter
  • White connector cable running from converter to the back of the AP display
  • Unused white port in converter with white plug in it
  • Unused blue port in converter with blue plug in it
  • Unused yellow port in converter with yellow plug in it
Old 24-08-2015, 05:30   #39

Quote:
Yes, on one side of the converter, you will have to make the cable that has a blue raymarine fitting on one end, and a N2K backbone cable fitting on the other. So that will hook your converter to the end of the N2K backbone, just like it was another N2K T-fitting. One the other side of the converter, you will use one of the blue plugs that came with the converter.

The white cable that comes with the converter will plug into the back of your AP display head. That will provide data AND POWER to the converter. So you can delete the cable with the yellow fitting on the end that is for converter power. So your system should look like:
  • N2K backbone cable with blue raymarine fitting on other end, connected to end of converter
  • White connector cable running from converter to the back of the AP display
  • Unused white port in converter with white plug in it
  • Unused yellow port in converter with yellow plug in it
My AP is a circa 1992 Autohelm ST7000 panel with a Type 1 Computer (Seatalk1). There is no plug anywhere. Just bare wire connections

It was my understanding the white was to connect to STng to STng (STng spur). The yellow is the ST1

The kit came with no white plugs. Just 2 blue and 2 black

Correct me if I am wrong...I believe it should be:
  • Blue - N2K backbone cable with blue raymarine fitting on other end, connected to end of converter
  • Unused white port
  • yellow - ST1 cable connected to AP
  • Unused white port
    (converter should get power from the N2k backbone IIRC - it did when I tried it as a spur)
Old 24-08-2015, 05:38   #40

Quote:
My AP is a circa 1992 Autohelm ST7000 panel with a Type 1 Computer (Seatalk1). There is no plug anywhere. Just bare wire connections

It was my understanding the white was to connect to STng to STng (STng spur). The yellow is the ST1

• Blue - N2K backbone cable with blue raymarine fitting on other end, connected to end of converter
  • Unused white port
  • Unused white port
    (converter should get power from the N2k backbone IIRC - it did when I tried it as a spur)
Yeah, you are right. I had the white and yellow switched. The unused white ports will have the black blanking plugs inserted in them.

On the back of my AP control display, there are two spots for a ST1 connector to plug in? One will be hooked up to the computer, but the other one unused? The cable with the yellow connector on one end and ST connector on the other should plug into this.

I just looked up the installation manual for yours, and the ST1 connector is completely different - round instead of the somewhat flat one that works on mine and comes with the converter. I guess you are going to be splicing wires on that as well. Might want to contact Raymarine to make sure the newer style connector wires match up to your old AP. I've had good luck contacting them via the phone, for a quick answer.
Old 24-08-2015, 05:53   #41

Quote:
Yeah, you are right. I had the white and yellow switched. The unused white ports will have the black blanking plugs inserted in them.

On the back of my AP control display, there are two spots for a ST1 connector to plug in? One will be hooked up to the computer, but the other one unused? The cable with the yellow connector on one end and ST connector on the other should plug into this.

I just looked up the installation manual for yours, and the ST1 connector is completely different - round instead of the somewhat flat one that works on mine and comes with the converter. I guess you are going to be splicing wires on that as well. Might want to contact Raymarine to make sure the newer style connector wires match up to your old AP. I've had good luck contacting them via the phone, for a quick answer.
There are 2 ST1 ports on the APs computer, one going to the control panel, one to the wired remote control (which I will disconnect and use that port) All are bare wires, so I had to cut the ST1 end off and use the yellow wire, worked ok when I used it as a spur.

Been about a week, havent heard from Raymarine (left a message) and they haven't responded to my forum post...I am sure they are busy.. but damn!
Old 24-08-2015, 08:29   #42

Quote:
There are 2 ST1 ports on the APs computer, one going to the control panel, one to the wired remote control (which I will disconnect and use that port) All are bare wires, so I had to cut the ST1 end off and use the yellow wire, worked ok when I used it as a spur.
I am sure you could attach both sets of wires - the ones for the converter, and ones for the wired remote - to the same set of connections. We had to do that for some of the data wires on one of the ST60 instruments, and it worked fine.
Old 24-08-2015, 10:06   #43

Quote:
I am sure you could attach both sets of wires - the ones for the converter, and ones for the wired remote - to the same set of connections. We had to do that for some of the data wires on one of the ST60 instruments, and it worked fine.
never thought of doing that..so you have 2 devices connected to a single port on ST1. sweet. got to try it. Had the boat 7 seasons.. never used the remote!
Old 27-08-2015, 05:15   #44

Quote:

• Unused white port
  • Unused white port
Updated my diagram to show the N2k-STng spliced cable and the converter on the backbone. Will try this next. Waiting for the cables to arrive to try it out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_ohlson_electronics2_2.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	108004  
Old 27-08-2015, 05:55   #45

my bad. didn't proofread the picture. updated pic. Had a brain cramp!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_ohlson_electronics2_2.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	108006  

Tags
nmea