Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2008, 06:47   #1

Confussed on xm-sirius wx

I'm planning a trip down the ICW and over to the Bahamas in the end of march and want to get xm or sirius wx. this stuff is new to me and I was wondering what peice of electronics the readout actually comes in on [screen wise] I've got furuno color souder, gps and radar.Last time when I came back from the USVI's ['03] I spent alot of time begging wx, met lots of good people though, and would like to have my own system. $'s tight as the Kitty Cat eat some[3408] that's right SinkBoat. Any suggestions welcome[Besides get a sailboat],thanks Buzz
jawfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 06:55   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
the units for sat weather are compatible with the sat weather info just as a radio must be compatible to acquire satellite radio. Garmin and others make plotters compatible with the sat weather so you will need to install one of those units.You can go to the Sirius web site for more details.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 08:04   #3

Boat: Knysna 480
The sat weather modules must be compatable with your chartplotter and connect via NMEA cables. I was sorely dissapointed when I sailed to Puerto Rico and the VI's because you lose the signal about 200 nm off the east coast. If you sail the ICW and the bahamas closest to the coast you will find it very helpful. It will frustrate you in most of the Caribbean.
rjrendemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 08:38   #4

if using the ICW and the Bahamas a form of internet connection will give you a ton more information than a dedicated satellite radio weather service, which you pay for anyway. The internet sources can be used for a whole lot more than just weather and will run on your computer so no need to buy dedicated equipment. Either a phone card or Wifi capability or a combination of both and you have all of the weather information possible. We had excellent weather info along our entire passage from Houston to the east coast and we used only an external Wifi antenna. There are lots of different set ups to accomplish this and is far superior to the Sirius Weather subscription.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 30-12-2008, 13:18   #5

Thanks Chuck, Can you suggest what might be a good internet souce that would work in the bahamas [probably not going south of Exuma]
jawfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 13:24   #6

We have not been to the Bahamas for a few years and plan on going next year with the new boat so can't make any recommendations. There have been lots of posts here on the board on getting connected so you might try a search. I am sure some others that have been there recently will jump in. You might want to start a new thread specifically for that.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek